Michael "Kramer" Richards - a racist?

I am offended.

That was how he really feels, that wasn't a comic dealing with a heckler in a professional manner, that was angry, hateful and disturbing.

He's now officially I loser :loser: in my book...the book is getting pretty darn thick!

Jerry Seinfeld is calling it a horrible mistake. What the heck? Oops I slipped up a tad and turned into a racist, okie dokie all back to being a decent human being again, carry on.... :slap:

Jubie

I am so sad to hear this news. I've always loved the character "Kramer", and we watch Seinfeld re-runs every day! Seeing Michael Richards in his "true light" just hurts my heart. I'll never understand the mentality of judging others based on their skin color or who they sleep with. There's just no excuse in this day and age. I'm very saddened by his outburst and I hope that he apologizes for his behavior.

I thought Jerry S. issued a statment immediately calling it abhorrant. I thought that's what I heard on Charlie Gibson's news; but haven't checked a source.

I adore Jerry Seinfeld and saw him perform 2 weeks ago. He was hilarious without making any joke "dirty" or "offensive". He even had a sore throat but performed for 2 hours.

I really don't think it will affect the show - it was too long ago (the show) and too many great characters. If Kramer just runs into rehab, it'll be fine. :D

Marthatex said:
I thought Jerry S. issued a statment immediately calling it abhorrant. I thought that's what I heard on Charlie Gibson's news; but haven't checked a source.

I adore Jerry Seinfeld and saw him perform 2 weeks ago. He was hilarious without making any joke "dirty" or "offensive". He even had a sore throat but performed for 2 hours.

I really don't think it will affect the show - it was too long ago (the show) and too many great characters. If Kramer just runs into rehab, it'll be fine. :D
Jerry did issue a statement - I posted the link to it above.

Michael Richards will apparently be addressing his tirade on David Letterman tonight. He taped a live satellite appearance.

Here's an article on his apology:

'Kramer' apologizes for racist tirade

POSTED: 9:49 p.m. EST, November 20, 2006

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Michael Richards said Monday he spewed racial epithets during a stand-up comedy routine because he lost his cool while being heckled and not because he's a bigot.
"For me to be at a comedy club and flip out and say this crap, I'm deeply, deeply sorry," the former "Seinfeld" co-star said during a satellite appearance for David Letterman's "Late Show."

"I'm not a racist. That's what's so insane about this," Richards said, his tone becoming angry and frustrated as he defended himself in a clip from the show played on CBS before "Late Show" aired Monday night.

Richards described himself as going into "a rage" over the two audience members who interrupted his act Friday at the Laugh Factory in West Hollywood. Richards responded to the black hecklers with repeated use of the "n word" and profanities.

More at link:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/11/20/richards.epithets.ap/index.html

I loved the completely manic, fixated character, Kramer from Seinfeld.

If the actor's temperament is anything like the Kramer character, it isn't a far stretch that he might "touch insanity".

It would never have occured to me that he would "lose it"with the "n" word.

I am happy that word has now become the "n" word, unacceptable to use in public. I never had to be on the receiving end of the n word, although I did have "n lover" hurled at me on more than one occasion.

windovervocalcords said:
I loved the completely manic, fixated character, Kramer from Seinfeld.

If the actor's temperament is anything like the Kramer character, it isn't a far stretch that he might "touch insanity".

It would never have occured to me that he would "lose it"with the "n" word.

I am happy that word has now become the "n" word, unacceptable to use in public. I never had to be on the receiving end of the n word, although I did have "n lover" hurled at me on more than one occasion.
He is a comic actor, not a comic. This is totally unprofessional and comics never handle hecklers this way. I could not get the video to load either but saw coverage on TV. I'm disgusted and horrified.

Most, or all comics get interrupted once or twice on stage and never stoop to these type of tirades or this insanity. Actors seem to be getting too egotistical for their own good and need to be knocked down a few notches. People need to stopping watching certain performers. I, for one, will never watch Richards.
I am horrified he could ever make judgments on anyone.

Having did the comedy circuit, I have never witnessed this before, even during a skit.

What a dog. I am sick of all these actors and actresses speaking out of turn. Richards is a loser. Any form of prejudice makes me sick.

Gozgals

I think the situations with Mel Gibson and Michael Richards reminds people that celebrities are just people with hang ups like everyone else in America. When these things are brought to the for front hopefully it makes everyone look at themselves and see issue they may need to work on.

I live in a racially charged area of America. Segregation is played out everyday in Savannah, Georgia from cradle to grave. There is no easy solution.

GlitchWizard said:
Short version:

Heckler being rude.
Kramer guy over reacting - handles it poorly.
He tries to impromptu make it funny by handling it even more poorly.
Uses the "N" word. The heckler continues to heckle. Becomes a shouting match between the two. The "N" word is spouted, the word "Cracker" is spouted, and then the heckler starts to use the "F" word. Back and Forth - just like the fights you saw back in high school, only without the shoulder to shoulder circling.

It's clear the show is over. Some people leave. Kramer dude leaves.

Thanks for a very objective version of what happened.

Geez people, we're all human. He lost his cool, so what? That doesn't make him a horrible person. It's not like he killed anyone, and his actions were sort of proven to be a snap-reaction considering the heckler (who was black) also had a snap-reaction and turned into a racist *advertiser censored* himself.

You can't possibly prove to me that Michael Richards is deep down a racist. When you're put in situations like that and someone is hurting you, you reach deep down sometimes and grab the thing that will hurt that person back just as much, or even more. This time is just happened to be the N word.

It's certainly a word that carries alot of baggage and hate around with it...but only because we let it. I also don't agree with black people taking the word back and owning it...it will only ensure the word continues to live and will muddy the waters as to when and where, and by whom it is spoken.

...If someone were heckling me, and I "lost it", I would just tell them to shut the f*ck up...It would not occur to me to use racial epithets, because I do not do this...Swear, yes, racial epithets, no...

If he had just told them to shut the f*ck up, I do not think that there would be a problem now...

cappuccina said:
...If someone were heckling me, and I "lost it", I would just tell them to shut the f*ck up...It would not occur to me to use racial epithets, because I do not do this...Swear, yes, racial epithets, no...

If he had just told them to shut the f*ck up, I do not think that there would be a problem now...
That's why it's called a snap-reaction...it doesn't occur to anyone. He clearly spoke before he thought. It happens.

..."there" somewhere to begin with,,,

I have been mad and yelled, and yes, it involved a lot of swearing, but never racial epithets, because that is not a part of who I am...

It is a part of who "Kramer" and Mel Gibson are...it was already there...just hidden...

Gozgals said:
He is a comic actor, not a comic. This is totally unprofessional and comics never handle hecklers this way. I could not get the video to load either but saw coverage on TV. I'm disgusted and horrified.

Most, or all comics get interrupted once or twice on stage and never stoop to these type of tirades or this insanity. Actors seem to be getting too egotistical for their own good and need to be knocked down a few notches. People need to stopping watching certain performers. I, for one, will never watch Richards.
I am horrified he could ever make judgments on anyone.

Having did the comedy circuit, I have never witnessed this before, even during a skit.

What a dog. I am sick of all these actors and actresses speaking out of turn. Richards is a loser. Any form of prejudice makes me sick.

Gozgals
Your post is right on. I had no idea Richards even had a "stand-up" act. He is an accomplished actor. And you are correct, that's a long way from being a good stand up comic.
To effectively stop hecklers, the comic has to not only have a snappy comeback, but get the heckler and audience to laugh at the comment.
Instead, Richards poured out a dramatic scolding on the heckler and the audience.
As I understand it, this all started when the heckler made a comment that Richards wasn't funny. Obviously, Richards can't handle criticism. I think we saw the "real" person when Richards was ranting and raving and making ccheap racist statements. What a loser.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back