Michigan - Coronavirus COVID-19

margarita25

Reaction score
Michigan:

BBM:
““Everybody is starting to understand that this virus is looking for more hosts,” Mayor Mike Duggan of Detroit said in an interview on Sunday. “Even if you’re young and healthy.”

By Monday afternoon, with more than 6,500 cases, Michigan was fourth in known cases among the states, behind New York, New Jersey and California. Across the state, at least 197 residents have died, placing Michigan fourth across the nation in deaths from the virus, behind New York, Washington and New Jersey.

No one is sure why the Detroit region is seeing a flood of cases in the weeks since officials announced the state’s first known case on March 10. Mr. Duggan said he suspected that the region’s international airport, with a significant number of flights from overseas, may have contributed to the spread.

Since then, the virus has spread to employees in the Detroit police and fire departments and other city services that have been slowly rebuilt over the last several years.”

Coronavirus Sweeps Through Detroit, a City That Has Seen Crisis Before

—-

Oakland County unveils heatmap of COVID-19 cases by zipcode

“Southeast Michigan is the epicenter of coronavirus/COVID-19 cases in Michigan. Wayne County has almost 3,000 confirmed cases while Oakland County is second in the state with over 1,200 cases.”

—-

ETA:

Detroit working to get every resident tested for COVID-19
Updated 24 mins ago

““We are going to make testing available for every single person in this city who needs it,” he said.”

—-

Detroit EMT worker recovers from COVID-19; partner still hospitalized

—-

March 30, 2020

“DETROIT — It has seen its population plummet, houses fall to ruin, and the largest municipal bankruptcy in the nation. Now another crisis has descended on Detroit: the coronavirus.

In less than two weeks, 35 people with the coronavirus have died in Detroit. The police chief has tested positive for the virus, and more than 500 police officers are in quarantine. On Sunday morning, the city’s downtown, a center of Detroit’s post-bankruptcy resurgence, was quiet and mostly deserted.”
-more at link

Last edited:
Detroit

““Everybody is starting to understand that this virus is looking for more hosts,” Mayor Mike Duggan of Detroit said in an interview on Sunday. “Even if you’re young and healthy.”

By Monday afternoon, with more than 6,500 cases, Michigan was fourth in known cases among the states, behind New York, New Jersey and California. Across the state, at least 197 residents have died, placing Michigan fourth across the nation in deaths from the virus, behind New York, Washington and New Jersey.

No one is sure why the Detroit region is seeing a flood of cases in the weeks since officials announced the state’s first known case on March 10. Mr. Duggan said he suspected that the region’s international airport, with a significant number of flights from overseas, may have contributed to the spread.

Since then, the virus has spread to employees in the Detroit police and fire departments and other city services that have been slowly rebuilt over the last several years.”

That's good. The virus survives on us. If we separate, then when the virus needs a new host it dies, the infected person recovers and there's no where to go.

If the first case in Detroit was March 10, fast forward 2 weeks to see what was going on 2 weeks ago. An explosion of cases today probably means that the virus was community transmission 2 weeks ago. If nothing has changed in the last 2 weeks, it's going to get worse fast.

International airports in Canadian cities have been considered as a reason for higher rates of infection in the those communities.

Has anything changed in Detroit in the last two weeks regarding closures, essential services and isolation?

Last edited:
How the coronavirus spread through the Detroit Police Department
Mar. 28, 2020

“The virus' spread through the department and through the region as a whole has officers patrolling on edge. Multiple exposures — including the pancake breakfast, those that are travel-related, contact with infected coworkers and during the course of policing — had sent 556 Detroit Police Department employees, including 468 sworn members, into quarantine as of Friday. That same day, officials said 39 officers had tested positive for COVID-19 and the department previously announced the deaths of two members.

"You just don’t know what’s going on," said William Davis, who sits on the Board of Police Commissioners. "A lot of them are nervous and apprehensive, especially they don’t want to get anything and bring it to their families."“

Investigation launched after Ann Arbor company allegedly posts $60 bottles of hand sanitizer

A.M. Cleaning must provide transaction records

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – Attorney General Dana Nessel is investigating an Ann Arbor cleaning company after the business allegedly drastically raised the price on hand sanitizer during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak...

AG probes Ann Arbor business accused of price-gouging hand sanitizer

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel's office has received court approval for investigative subpoenas of an Ann Arbor-based business accused of price-gouging of hand sanitizer during the COVID-19 pandemic, officials announced Monday...

Found my Michigan friends. I feel a bit scattered today, LOL!

LOL me too. My employer is paying for the corona testing at the TCF center (Detroit). I am working from home and have for the past 3 weeks. My youngest son is 17 and has been playing online games with his buddies.

I can't believe Meijer (went at lunch today) is still out of the paper and cleaning goods (even dishsoap)

This is so freaking scary. I have multiple health issues with asthma, had pneumonia and the flu, cyst on my gum that was removed, impacted colon all within the last 4 months. We are doing pretty good with self quarantining. I also have liver disease (inherited). I have had pnuemonia since my 20s (bad allergies/sinsuses uggghh).

My daugther in law works at Henry Ford in Detroit (my middle son works for Ford is work from home). She is a physical therapist but they have them helping out with other things within the hospital. No joke and she said to take Tylenol no motrin.

My oldest son is a Police Officer and out in the community (hoping he does ok) and his live in girlfriend works for Wayne County Court system and working from home.

I just found this thread - thank you Bette Davis.

Wishing everyone wellness.

UM health execs plan hospital at indoor track, find social distancing cuts COVID-19 cases
The University of Michigan health system plans to open a field hospital next week in the Ann Arbor university's indoor track at the South Athletics Facility on State Street to house overflow coronavirus patients.

Michigan Medicine also is exploring the possibility of repurposing dorms to house some patients and hotels to house recovered patients who can't return home yet, leaders said during a Tuesday press conference.

"We’re thinking in a modular fashion," said Keith Dickey, chief strategy officer of Michigan Medicine's adult hospitals. "We have multiple sites that we’re evaluating."...

Yes hang tight Michigan. I have many Family there. My Dad's Brother lived there before i was even born. I have been going there as long as I can remember. To visit Family and of course venues and/or shopping. I worry for my Sister, BIL and their Children and Families. I miss seeing them.

Yes hang tight Michigan. I have many Family there. My Dad's Brother lived there before i was even born. I have been going there as long as I can remember. To visit Family and of course venues and/or shopping. I worry for my Sister, BIL and their Children and Families. I miss seeing them.
A fellow Michigander. I will keep them in my thoughts.

Yooper here. So far we have a handful of positive cases spread across the U.P. This has resulted in many people not taking the stay at home, stay safe order seriously. Fellow Michiganders, how are your respective communities responding to the order?

Thanks for setting up this thread! I’m in metro Detroit and people are taking it pretty seriously. I’m working from home, and kids are home from school. It’s definitely sad as the kids want to be kids- but we can’t get to play grounds and no play dates... lots of walks outdoors, but people keep a safe distance from each other.
stores are letting only a certain number inside at a time, so there’s lines outside. Many people are wearing masks and gloves. I’m seeing a lot of the gloves in parking lots since people don’t want to bring the virus into their cars, so it’s turning into litter. One smaller local fruit market had someone take people’s temperature with a scanner at the door before anyone was allowed in. That was oddly comforting and creepy at the same time.
I go visit my parents, but stay on the porch and they sit in the kitchen and we can chat that way. People for the most part are taking it pretty seriously.

And my two cents on why Michigan is hit hard:
Detroit’s industry with automotives and auto suppliers, we have high international travel. Some of the largest suppliers are in China. Wuhan is a big auto hub... the supply chain likely brought the virus as well as parts.
MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back