Midwest States - IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, SD, ND, NE, WI, OH - Weather Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was so bad here last night schools were closed today because trees are down everywhere. Our electricity was out for hours. There was a Tornado that touched down too.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:WOW...glad y'all are ok!:blowkiss:

It is mostly over here may get a little rain later to night. The part that came over where I live was just rain, wind, and lighting. It did not last very long they are fast moving storm. They think that a tornado touch down 2 counties west of me. In hutchinson there was a tornado warning. Hutchinson got baseball size hail. No tornado was ever spotted that I heard about. When the storms first started they were strong. By the time they got to me they had clamed down some. Just be ready to go to basement if needed.

I have a suggestion to all. Go to a site called:

accuweather.com and set your radar to "local" You should find a NOAA radar near you. You will get the storms in real time and can "animate" and watch it move. It is something I do watch as well as the forcast on NOAA.gov for my local area (Goodland, KS for me).

For those of you with Firefox, there's a nifty weather extension called Forecast Fox.

Weather is always in your toolbar, a box pops up briefly every hour to let you know the current conditions and there's a weather alert as well. Clicking on the alerts or conditions takes you directly to the Accuweather site.

Can I come over?? It was 99 here.:eek:

Jeana, we in the DFW area are having really weird weather today, even for Texas, aren't we? I went to the mailbox to get the mail.. It's a large Victorian style mailbox that was here when we bought the house and is cemented into the ground, LOL. I am allergic to wasp and yellow jacket stings, and they tend to congregate in our mailbox when it gets this hot.

The strangest thing happened. I opened the mailbox to get the mail out, pausing just long enough to make sure that no nasty insects were going to sting me like they have in the past in that mailbox, and a huge gust of wind blew all of the mail all over the place. Most of it ended up right at our nosey old neighbor's front door about a city block away. We also had a lot of big limbs come down, mostly dead and from the last really strong storm we had- about 6 weeks ago.

I hope everyone is safe all around the country. No more tornadoes!!
Maria

I am here in Lawton / Ft. Sill Oklahoma for a job interview and it is horrible... the winds are fast and right now we are having a bad thunderstorm. Power is in and out.... sooo..... we'll see...

You take care of us so well!!! It is pretty weird here today in North Texas. I woke up this morning and its 82 degrees and the winds are about 45 miles per hour. THAT is not good.
HORRIBLE wind gusts. I wonder how far we are from each other...

Jeana, we in the DFW area are having really weird weather today, even for Texas, aren't we? I went to the mailbox to get the mail.. It's a large Victorian style mailbox that was here when we bought the house and is cemented into the ground, LOL. I am allergic to wasp and yellow jacket stings, and they tend to congregate in our mailbox when it gets this hot.

The strangest thing happened. I opened the mailbox to get the mail out, pausing just long enough to make sure that no nasty insects were going to sting me like they have in the past in that mailbox, and a huge gust of wind blew all of the mail all over the place. Most of it ended up right at our nosey old neighbor's front door about a city block away. We also had a lot of big limbs come down, mostly dead and from the last really strong storm we had- about 6 weeks ago.

I hope everyone is safe all around the country. No more tornadoes!!
Maria

Its pretty freaky!!! My puppy was chasing leaves all around the backyard! Hysterical. Of course, it didn't stop any of the kids from swimming.:rolleyes:

It JUST started raining really hard right now and thundering super loud....but thats it.

Our local NWS office says we have a good chance for severe weather around here this afternoon and tonight from this same system, so we'll see what happens. It's quite windy and going to be 90 today, which will fuel the storms, I think.

WADENA, Minn. – When the storm came through, Jay Hotakainen huddled in the basement of his northwest Minnesota home with his 12-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter. The walls shook and everything in the house rattled.
"They say it sounds like a freight train. It does," Hotakainen said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100618/ap_on_re_us/us_minnesota_storms

May the Lord be with all of the victims, in Jesus' Name, amen!

My sis and her extended family are in Wadena. I talked to her last night and she was really frightened. This was her first experience with tornados.

My sis said they were really lucky, the path was just a block from her home. All she lost was some shingles and a few trees, although her daughter's new car was heavily damaged from a tree. There was heavy damage to many homes and businesses and IIRC, a school.

Bless all those in the path of these killer acts of nature.

fran

News you don't hear much about...

Almost 10 inches fell in southeastern MN in the past day, overwhelming cities and causing serious flooding.

Nearly two-thirds of the town of Arcadia, WI, population 2,500, were mandatorily evacuated after downtown streets were submerged under 1 to 3 feet of water. In Truman, MN residents had to be evacuated by boat. State Hwy 52, a major n-s route, was partially closed. More than 9 inches of rain threatened to overwhelm city sewer systems in Fairmont, Mapleton, Vernan Center and Amboy. Owatonna and Zumbrota had serious flooding, closing streets and schools. The water came so fast that some kids had to be evacuated from school.

High water will reach the Twin Cities by next week. Officials are predicting the Minnesota River, which joins the Mississippi in the TC, will reach the 5th highest on record. On Thursday at St. Paul the river measured 6.7 ft. By next Tues it's expected to be 16.9 ft.

It just dawned on me the flooding is in Mn. So is my sis. Fortunately, she's not effected. She lives in Wadena. They already had their year's hardship, a tornado!

Prayers for all those effected.

fran
:rose:

Severe storms, near-hurricane-force winds blow through Midwest

http://us.cnn.com/2010/US/10/26/midwest.weather/index.html

(CNN) -- Fierce winds slammed into Midwest and South Central states Tuesday afternoon, smashing property and leaving at least 160,000 without power. Gusts exceeded 70 mph in some places.

I'm in Southern WI--it didn't seem too bad here earlier, but I stepped outside a bit ago and almost ran for my basement, the wind was so loud. I've seen some pretty big branches down, and when I was at the grocery store this afternoon the wind was so strong it blew a sliding automatic door of it's track (and a stop sign over). Anyone else getting hit?

It was very, very windy here about 90 minutes ago (NE Ohio), hail and thunderstorms, and looks to be gearing up for round 2.

i am just outside the windy city, hubby works in sears(willis) tower,
and they have been dealing with the wind for two days now. down to four elevators in all the buildings,
he missed the train yesterday and today because it took so
long to get out. he said he could feel the building swaying and groaning,
he had to shout on the phone the groaning was so loud.
they shut down the sidewalk in front because the wind was channeling,
and going so fast it was knocking folks down. glad it was him. i have never
visited his office in the sky and after what i've heard the last two days never will. i like my feet on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member