Missing pregnant Shanann Watts and her two daughter's bodies found, husband arrested
Join the latest discussion

MIDWEST USA - WILLIAM J "Freight Train" GUATNEY

Discussion in 'Serial Killers' started by bflocket, Oct 3, 2014.

1. bflocket

bflocket Well-Known Member

I am starting this thread because I couldn't find one for him. He's been listed as possible suspect in several missing person or unsolved murder cases on here, but doesn't have his own thread. If he does, I'm sorry about that.

This guy hopped trains and traveled throughout the Midwest. He'd occasionally rape and murder young boys along the way.

WILLIAM J "FREIGHT TRAIN" GUATNEY

William J. GUATNEY (Murderpedia)

Slayer Of Innocence (Jim Conover, 2003)
    A book about Guatney.

Here is a Find-A-Grave "memorial" for Guatney, with few details.

2. bflocket

3. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

Guatney is mentioned quite a bit here on the Richard Griener thread since he's a suspect in that unsolved missing case. He could have done that one but I don't think it's likely that he did.

4. bflocket

I found a ton of articles on this earlier. But by the time I actually started the thread, I was burnt out on them. I will add them as I can once I find them again.

There were many more things on "Google Newspapers" than the actual 'net. There were quite a few about the boy killed the day I was born. I'm kinda drained tonight.

5. bflocket

Even decades-old head injuries suck dog-rears...
    I came across a slideshow of unsolved murders, one of which was Jack Hanrahan

Then I realized I'd started a thread on one of the suspects in his murder! I need some industrial-strength Gingko Biloba, if they make such a thing.

I mainly came to say that Guatney wasn't the only suspect. Neither suspect was convicted for the murder. Guatney was found "incompetent" and got off for that reason.
    A Thomas A Berberich was charged in the late 1990's, but that case was basically killed by "counselor/client" privilege. He confessed to a counselor of sorts, but they couldn't use the confession so the case basically went nowhere.

Murder Confession Ruling Appealed
    (Lawrence Journal-World, Lawrence KS 9/6/1998)

Preliminary Hearing Begins in 1979 Slaying
    (Lawrence Journal-World, Lawrence KS 10/1/1999)

6. Alleykins

Alleykins Well-Known Member

I read that this guy spent 40 years traveling the railways all over this country. Does anyone have a map of all the places he's been? I ask because there is one missing child in my state that fits this guy's time line and victim profile, it was during one of our most popular agricultural fairs, and I'm looking for old railroad track maps but if my hunch is right, one could have taken this boy from his town to the fair's, 19 miles away. Any ideas? Thanks!

7. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

I think Guatney usually worked at temporary jobs in the fairs with livestock. Could the boy have hitched a ride to the fair where he then might have encountered Guatney?

8. Alleykins

The boy told his siblings he was skipping school that day to go to the fair, which was about 19 miles away. No one thought to ask him how he was getting there. He didn't go to school and they can only assume he headed out to the fair because that's what he told them. Our state seems so far removed from where the majority of the crimes took place, this is really a long shot, but that Guatney claimed to have been all over the country by rail. I just found this case eerily similar to some of Guatneys (the age range, the fair, and I'm certain a nearby rail road, but don't quote me, I'm trying to locate a map of the train tracks).

9. bflocket

Where are you from?

10. Alleykins

I live about 3-4 hours away from where he disappeared.

11. Alleykins

12. Alleykins

There are so many unsolved disappearances of young boys he could have been involved with because he traveled so much, but we'll never know.

13. mona pennington

mona pennington New Member

I know for a fact Bill Guatney died while being detained at Osawatomie State Hospital. I worked with that monster and have no doubt he did what they said. If it makes the families of the victims feel better it was slow painful death. I imagine he is buried but do not know for sure at the old Osawatomie State Hospital. He wasn't incompetent. Crazy like a fox and knew how to work the system. I was appalled to find out there was a book and movie made about him. Just found that out last night. Addenedum I meant the old Osawatomie State Hospital Cemetery near grounds

4SAM likes this.