Miners Trapped In WV Coal Mine

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Shadow205, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Shadow205

Shadow205 New Member

Breaking news, have not found a link yet. The report that I heard said there are 13 miners trapped after an underground explosion in a WV mine. It is in Tallmansville.

2. Loading...

3. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

The explosion at the Seago Mine south of Buckhannon occurred about eight o-clock this morning at the Seago Mine.

Steve Milligan with the county's Office of Emergency Management says 19 miners were underground when the explosion occurred, and six made it out of the mine without injury.

Milligan says the 13 miners are trapped more than a mile underground.
    http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_002105137.html

4. christine2448

christine2448 Retired WS Staff

I am praying for the trapped miners to be able to get out safe!

5. lynie

lynie New Member

this has to one of the scariest events known....

I would hate having to depend upon mining for my work, frightening.

6. T'sNana

T'sNana Nana Extraordinaire

It would be scary. My SIL and his father are coal miners here in IL and I just don't see how they do it. My SIL had a rock the size of a table fall on his leg and trap him last year. Amazingly, it didn't break his leg or anything other than bruise some tendons. The doctor wanted him off work for like 3 or 4 weeks to heal those tendons but he went back after about a week...I think mostly because he didn't want the incident to make him too scared to go back down there. SCARY!

7. Shadow205

Shadow205 New Member

I was born and raised in the heart of coal mining country. I am a true "Coal Miners Daughter" and proud to say it. Most of my family works or has worked in the mines. It is indeed a very scary thing. I pray that they will get these miners out safely. FOX news is doing some pretty good coverage now. This is about 2 hours from where I live.

8. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ New Member

I remember several years ago a bunch of miners were trapped and most thought they were dead for sure. But they weren't and I stayed up most of the night to watch them pull them up one by one!

I hope they all make it out fine.

9. Opie

Opie Well-Known Member

The coal mine incident a couple years ago was in PA, and I could not turn off the TV and go to bed until the last man was brought up. Pray for a similar outcome here.

10. gamegirl

gamegirl New Member

Definately hoping for the best possible outcome (13 live miners).

11. scandi

scandi New Member

We also watched until the last miner was brought out. I pray for these 13 guys, that they will be brought up and out to breathe fresh air again!

Can you imagine what it would be like to be trapped like that - especially way down in the earth with dirt and timbers falling down on you! Lights growing dim. I can't fathom the panic that could ensue.

I just heard on the news that the recovery operation to bring them out is going to start now. The survey of the mine and damage to it has been completed. I'm sending positive thoughts to these rescuers. They are true heroes!

Scandi

12. Shadow205

Shadow205 New Member

I just had a phone call from my Mother, it seems that some of the miners who are trapped are from my neck of the woods. I do not know them personally but my Mother knows their families. Prayers for them and their families.

13. Tom'sGirl

Tom'sGirl Former Member

Me too, a book came out of that terrible accident (Last Man Out: The Story of the Springhill Mine Disaster), but it was wonderful in the end that all came out alive.

Let us all hope this disaster will come out wonderful also!

14. scandi

scandi New Member

It's been about 1 1/2 hours since I heard the recovery operation was beginning. Has anyone heard any news?

Thanks Scandi

15. Buzz Mills

Buzz Mills New Member

Somerset County, PA--went to that site when I went back to PA for a high school reunion in 2002; it's not far from where Flight 93 went down on Sept. 11th.

With the rapid run-up in fossil fuel prices, coal-mining has become very popular again, especially in places like PA, WVA, VA. They're hiring, if anyone is interested, and hopefully not.

16. izzyB

izzyB Inactive

my heart breaks for these men and their family and friends. i have just checked CNN and saw no updates or "breaking news" about this horrible event.

17. Shadow205

Shadow205 New Member

CNN has a report coming on now.

18. Sassygerl

Sassygerl Active Member

This just breaks my heart!!!!!!! I'm praying for all involved :(

19. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ New Member

Me too! I had goosebumps and was crying like a baby, I was so relieved and happy!

20. concernedperson

concernedperson Former Member

I am really worried about this incident. The methane gas is in the hole and the weather is bad.

21. gamegirl

gamegirl New Member

I know what you mean concerned. And the longer that goes by the harder it gets to believe in the fairy tale ending.Extra prayers tonight for sure.