Miss California - Same Sex Marriage-Perez Hilton

"She gave the worst answer in pageant history," he fumed. "She got booed. I think that was the first time in Miss USA EVER that a contestant has been booed.

Maybe from where Perez was sitting he could hear booing, but I watched the show and I heard no booing, only applause for her answer.
Isn't Perez's 15 minutes about up?

I didn't hear anyone boo her either, but I did hear the audience applaud her answer. Perez was just on HLN and he still keeps making a fool of himself and continues to put her (Miss California) down. He even said he talked to Miley Cyrus and that she supports his views. (not exact words)

As for Ms. Cally's response, I've heard WAY worse and more embarrassing flub-ups from beauty pageant contestants responding on the spot to questions. I have a different opinion on the issue and think it's becoming increasingly obvious that, like inter-racial marriages, gay marriages will eventually become legal countrywide. She tried to acknowledge both sides of the issue and state her own thoughts - nothing wrong with that. I think it's a little funny that it's caused such an uproar.

Actually, thanks to that big mouth blogger who asked her the question in the first place and who has been whining all over the media because he didn't like her answer, did Miss California a huge favor. He just doesn't get it yet.:waitasec:

JMHO
fran

I didn't know that! Interesting.

Does anyone know if she was in the lead before she answered that question? I'm just wondering if her answer was what caused her to lose.

Shoot, wished I had watched it now. Back in the day I NEVER missed one

From what I've heard, it was THAT answer that lost her the crown. But, I've also heard that if she had it to do all over again, she'd give the same answer. ;)

fran

She was interviewed by HLN and she stated " i have no regrets."

I agree--How anyone could respect the opinion of Perez Hilton is beyond me--he is the epitome of rudeness, disgustingness, and no class. He made his money being negative, disrespecting others and being rude. He is not someone to admire or respect. His parents must be SO proud. :rolleyes::puke: JMO

I didnt see it. But I wonder if shine never really thought about that question, and just stumbled alot, not wanting to offend anyone.

Perez argh . I don't go to his website but he sits there and judges people about clothes, if they gain weight ect.. Gives them horrible nicknames. Really how can anyone let him judge a show like miss usa?? Obviously if your not in his circle and dont belive in what he does or have no money, he will pick on you.

If he was a good person, he would of excepted the answer and just leave it like that. Everyone is allowed to have opinions.... HE does.

I agree with alot here,she was honest,said how she felt. There is always going to be people that won't agree or like what you have to say no matter what the topic or agenda is.

No people would not agree with however she answered that partcular question. Political hot potato and they know it. Should she have actually answered the question and said that the remaining states constituents are the one's that will decide that as the constitution provides, there are still those that would decry her response.

Actually not quite true. Many contestants have or were pursuing Masters degrees, and several past winners have gone on to do other things besides acting or being a blond bimbo playboy bunny (Shanna Moaker) Bobbie Johnson went on to become an engineer for GE, Jineane Ford is a very respected newscaster from Phoenix, and Kim Seelbrede is a psychotherapist. And it was Perez Hilton, not Paris Hilton who was the judge. JMO
Meh... It's a pageant. Not filled with brainiacs and astrophysicists. Her answer was just par for course in pageants IMO. Remember last year (or year before?) when that girl messed up her geography big time??

And Paris Hilton was at a pageant because it was a .... pageant. Can you tell I don't like pageants? :crazy:

Actually, thanks to that big mouth blogger who asked her the question in the first place and who has been whining all over the media because he didn't like her answer, did Miss California a huge favor. He just doesn't get it yet.:waitasec:

JMHO
fran

I agree. I also think he gets it.

I don't care who marries whom. We live in a country where everyone is supposed to be created equal.
That question about same sex marriage was totally inappropriate for a pagent.
And, if Prez is going to become so personally upset by a person's opinion, he should not be a judge of anything!

First off, who the heck is Perez H really? Some loser guy who started a blog and makes his money off treating people like CRAP. Why is this guy even a judge at Miss America? God- He's always made me sick and I refuse to watch anything he has an appearance on. He's rude, crude, and if you don't agree with HIM, then he dogs you. He's foolish, and I think it was a dumb idea to have this D-list (can there be a z-list) judge.

Now that I said that. There is no right, and no wrong way to answer the question that was asked of her. So what if this girl has different beliefs then Perez. Its one of the only RIGHTS we have left... our freedom to have our own opinions. I give her credit for answering the way she believed rather than being a coward in front of Perez and give an answer that HE WANTED TO HEAR.

Perez H is a trainwreck. He shouldn't be a judge on Miss America. That was a huge mistake.

So stupid.

Great post! He's jealous cause he couldn't be a finalist. He does not belong as a judge of even a dog show. He's caused the big uproar over this. Behavior like that is what's going to put an end to all types of pageants.

He is such an angry, hateful, insecure man who is just completely insulting on his website. I no longer visit it simply because it vibrates with negative energy. My opinion on the topic is irrelevant because states should decide for themselves, this is a democracy, by the people and for the people. I think she seems like a beautiful, intelligent young lady who was under a lot of pressue yet remained true to her religious values and morals.

Having competed in many beauty pageants myself (many years ago), I have to agree with the other poster who said they were a pageant judge, that she most definately did not answer the question, nor was she articulate in the answer she gave. This is exactly what was said:

Perez Hilton: “Vermont recently became the 4th state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit. Why or why not?”

Prejean: “Well I think its great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised and that’s how I think it should be between a man and a woman. Thank you very much.”

She was wrong with the first two sentences out of her mouth because not all Americans are able to choose, only those living in one of the four states that have legalized same sex marriage which was the whole point of the question. The "in my country" which she corrected to "in my family" was a mistake as well as saying "I think that I believe". The whole point of the question/answer segment is to judge their public speaking ability and she blew it IMO. Here is a site where you can compare the interviews of Miss California and Miss North Carolina when they were being asked the exact same questions. In my opinion Miss North Carolina was better spoken in this particular interview too.

http://misscontest.blogspot.com/2009/04/carrie-prejean-miss-california-usa-2009.html

I heard one interview that Miss California gave just after the pageant in which she said that she considered herself the winner and that the crown was hers which regardless of how she meant it is still very belittling to the real winner. I have also read that there was a huge shouting match that took place back stage sparked by what she considered to be her unfair and controversial question because she did not win. Sorry but in the pageant world, if you take all of this together, Miss California comes off as a less than a gracious loser IMO. I think the judges made the right choice in picking Miss North Carolina as the winner.

I give Ms. California credit for standing up for her beliefs. However, it has been pointed out here a few times that her answer was wishwashy and poorly worded. She should be penalized for that, and I think that would have taken the title from her.

The issue that is interesting here, is that the judge seemed to make it clear that she lost based on her opinion on gay marriage. I think she has a strong basis for a discrimination suit - not because she didn't win, but for being eliminated on an unfair basis. It would have been fair to eliminate based on her really sloppy answer, but meaning of her answer, not the sloppiness is what got her eliminated.

I think if Perez Hilton is the best they can do for a judge, it is time to eliminate the contest.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back