Missing dentures found stuck in man's throat 8 days after surgery

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by BetteDavisEyes, Aug 13, 2019 at 9:18 AM.

1. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

Missing dentures found stuck in throat 8 days after surgery

Here’s why it’s best to remove false teeth before surgery: You just might swallow them.

A medical journal is reporting the case of a 72-year-old British man whose partial dentures apparently got stuck in his throat during surgery and weren’t discovered for eight days...

Friday Fan, LaborDayRN and borndem like this.
  2. BetteDavisEyes

Friday Fan and LaborDayRN like this.
  3. Ksprincess2

Ksprincess2 Well-Known Member

How did he not notice they were there for that long? I work at a surgical hospital and we ask all patients about dentures or partials on admission and have them remove them. Then anesthesia comes in and asks about dentures and looks in the patients mouth and throat to examine the airway and check for dentures or loose or broken teeth for this exact reason.

4. LaborDayRN

LaborDayRN Well-Known Member

Honestly, it would be the medical professionals responsibility to know what the patient has in their mouth. It's a normal part of pre-op questioning and documentation. One specific question we ask (RN) is "Do you have any dentures, partials, capped or loose teeth? I always ask about tongue rings too. And then the anesthesiologist asks those questions too. The removable pieces are removed before surgery. Someone dropped the ball here big time!

5. BetteDavisEyes

Thank you for sharing your expertise. While most 72-year-olds have the cognitive ability to process information, some may not be capable of discerning what might be of necessary importance in these circumstances. An impending surgical procedure causes some anxiety for most people, and I'm sure that medical personnel realize this. It seems unreasonable to rely on the patient to assume responsibility for his/her comfort and safety during surgical procedures.

LaborDayRN likes this.
  6. LaborDayRN

LaborDayRN Well-Known Member

I agree. Most pt's wouldn't even know why it's important to know what is in their mouths! It's totally the medical staffs responsibility. In the event the pt has memory problems and/or has no family or caretaker there with them, we can always ask the pt to open their mouths and take a look.

@Ksprincess2 I agree with you. How did it go unnoticed for SO long!

Friday Fan likes this.