Missouri, St. Louis - Teenage girl critically injured after brutal fight with another female teen near Hazelwood East High School, 8 March 2024

I believe both girls turned up to fight eachother over an ongoing issue, and things quickly got out of control, now both girls lives are ruined in different ways.

It's not been reported as far as I can tell so you'll have to take this as MOO, and maybe search Kaylee's name in other places and see what pops up.

As for the girl who so savagely attacked Kaylee, there can't be any excuse even if there turns out to be a reason. She had the upper hand as soon as Kaylee was down with the first punch and she didn't walk away. She had a choice and she chose to repeatedly smash another human being's head into the concrete, there's no defending that.
Thank you.

Doesn't the school also bear some responsibility? If two students are fighting one day -- why are both not suspended the next day? Whatever happened to zero tolerance?

I agree that even if there was a "reason," there was no excuse for the level of violence we saw.

Just awful.

What about manslaughter? This was meant to be a reply to @branmuffin post.

If the victim dies, the attacker could be charged with voluntary manslaughter, which is very similar to 2nd degree murder, except adds the element of sudden passion, with cause, which the defendant would have to interject into the case. The penalty for conviction of that is the same as 2nd degree murder, a Class B felony, with a sentence of 5-15 years.

565.023. Voluntary manslaughter, penalty — under influence of sudden passion, defendant's burden to inject. — 1. A person commits the offense of voluntary manslaughter if he or she:

(1) Causes the death of another person under circumstances that would constitute murder in the second degree under subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of section 565.021, except that he or she caused the death under the influence of sudden passion arising from adequate cause; or

(2) Knowingly assists another in the commission of self-murder.

2. The defendant shall have the burden of injecting the issue of influence of sudden passion arising from adequate cause under subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section.

3. The offense of voluntary manslaughter is a class B felony.

Thank you.

Doesn't the school also bear some responsibility? If two students are fighting one day -- why are both not suspended the next day? Whatever happened to zero tolerance?

I agree that even if there was a "reason," there was no excuse for the level of violence we saw.

Just awful.
They weren't on school property though.

“MILD TACHE NOIRE”

In Medical Examiner’s “Summary Report” * in section re “External Observation” along w “eye color” etc., on a line for ”Opacities” ME filled in “MILD TACHE NOIRE.”

What is this? Puzzling info from a quick Google search.
An ulcer at site of tick bite? Or a sign of death in sclera of eye(s)? Or?
Some images were available. Any relevance to CoD or MoD?

Thx again for posting the Summary Report.@imstilla.grandma

“by N Daneman · 2008 · Cited by 3 — A black eschar, or tache noire, occurs at the site of the TICK BITE. Multiple bites may result in several eschars. Lymphadenitis in the nodes draining the ...” bbm

tache noire “a small dark-centered ulcer that appears at the site of a TICK BITE and is the primary lesion of boutonneuse fever.” bbm
Medical Definition of TACHE NOIRE

Tache noire de la sclerotique
“(French for Black spot of the sclera) is one of the ocular signs of death in which a reddish-brown discoloration is transversely arranged across the sclera. It occurs when the eyes are not completely closed so that the sclera is exposed to air.[1] If the eyelids are open for a few hours after death, a film of cell debris and mucus forms two yellow triangles on the sclera, each at side of the iris, with base towards the margin of cornea and apex towards medial or lateral canthus of the eye, which becomes brown and then black within a few hours, upon which dust settles and the surface becomes wrinkled.[2]”

Every time I see there's a new post here, I dread reading it, especially after what the grandma said.
The severity of her injuries does not bode well for a damage free recovery, but I still have to have some hope for this young girl.
It's just so brutal and senseless.
Agree, hoping Kaylee does make a recovery but sadly, she is very likely going to live with significant brain damage and all that can entail. Very upsetting for Kaylee and her family and equally disturbing in terms of the monster that did this to her.
Hoping the attacker/attempted murderer is definitely trialled as an adult - she chose to behave in such an inhumane and cruel way, then she deals with the consequences.

Moo

Thank you.

Just awful.
Not if it happens outside school hours and not on school property.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
The fight was not on school property.

It is a tragic situation, but there is nothing the school could have done.

The statements from the victim's family have been very gracious, much more than I would be. They seem to be trying to send message for all the kids to tone down the violence and asking that no one retaliate.

It is disturbing that Attorney General Bailey is doing the opposite, blaming the school and trying to make the situation political.

Last edited:
Agree, hoping Kaylee does make a recovery but sadly, she is very likely going to live with significant brain damage and all that can entail. Very upsetting for Kaylee and her family and equally disturbing in terms of the monster that did this to her.
Hoping the attacker/attempted murderer is definitely trialled as an adult - she chose to behave in such an inhumane and cruel way, then she deals with the consequences.

Moo
It has now been 10 days since the attack occurred, and she still has not regained consciousness. I am not a doctor, but I have to believe that the sooner a patient with brain injury regains consciousness, the higher the likelihood of meaningful recovery. I remain very concerned for this young lady, and my heart goes out to her family. JMO

Last edited:
It has now been 10 days since the attack occurred, and she still has not regained consciousness. I am not a doctor, but I have to believe that the sooner a patient with brain injury regains consciousness, the higher the likelihood of meaningful recovery. I remain very concerned for this young lady, and for her family. JMO

As a former special education teacher, I think that parents of children who have been in comas should be given contact information for other parents who have been in the same situation.

Many parents would tell me about what a confusing time it was, emotionally wrenching. And the general focus is on saving the child. I had several parents who have severely multiply impaired children wish that they could have been better informed about the future.

This is not to say that they don't love their children, it is just a huge family adjustment to integrating a child with severe brain injury, and often other physical issues, back home. Most people don't see beyond having their child alive.

Families have had to change living situations, buy new automobiles, go to having multiple therapy and medical appointments...it is indeed life altering.

It has now been 10 days since the attack occurred, and she still has not regained consciousness. I am not a doctor, but I have to believe that the sooner a patient with brain injury regains consciousness, the higher the likelihood of meaningful recovery. I remain very concerned for this young lady, and my heart goes out to her family. JMO
The doctors may be purposely keeping her in a coma to alleviate the pain associated with swelling.

The doctors may be purposely keeping her in a coma to alleviate the pain associated with swelling.
That did occur to me, and I hope that is the case, but the family statement did not seem to indicate that, imo.

'The full scope and extent of Kaylee's injuries and prognosis for recovery cannot be determined until, with God's grace, she regains consciousness, and the family asks that you continue to keep Kaylee in your thoughts and prayers as she fights to recover,' they said through their attorney Bryan M Kaemmerer.

Last edited:
Nothing really new but here's a recent article.
@STLBlues Thanks for your post w link.

As you said, not much new there, at least re VICTIM Kaylee.
Well, except for different name (or diff. spelling?) of victim, shown at link as "Kayleen."

"Bryan M. Kaemmerer of the law firm McCarthy, Leonard & Kaemmerer confirmed the victim of the assault is Kayleen Gain."

As to SUSPECT who was arrested. Atty --- unnamed (why not?) --- repping her provided some unexpected info about her:

“In light of the information that has been presented through the news media and social media, I believe it is necessary to introduce additional information to the narrative that exists at this time. My client is a 15-year-old child who was attending Hazelwood East School District. She was on the honor roll, played in the orchestra and also played on the school’s volleyball team.

“I believe all of the facts and circumstances of this incident are not appropriate to discuss at this time when another child is in such a critical condition. Those facts and circumstances will have their day in court. I join the call to denounce teen violence and bullying. And most importantly, I join my client and her family in extending our prayers for this family and their child.”

Just doing the atty's job, but there may be tomatoes (rotten or in cans?) headed in that direction. I missed any previous info from suspect's attorney.
imo

That did occur to me, and I hope that is the case, but the family statement did not seem to indicate that, imo.
I agree. To me the wording sounded more like she hasn’t regained consciousness since the attack — that she’s in a natural coma, not an induced coma. I also agree that it’s concerning how much time has passed, and the probability that she might wake up or have any sense of normalcy in the future decreases with every day that passes.

But while it may be improbable, it’s not impossible. My childhood best friend had a cousin who was kicked off a horse, suffered a severe brain injury, and was in a natural coma for nearly two months before she woke up. They didn’t know if she ever would or what her quality of life would be like when/if she did. She had to relearn how to do everything (walk, talk, read, etcetera) and her personality changed dramatically — not in a bad way, she’s just totally different — but has otherwise lived a normal life. Her memory largely remained intact with the exception of a few days leading up to the accident, and she’s married now with kids. If I’m totally honest, I’ve never considered her cousin’s recovery anything short of a miracle because her doctors were certain she’d never wake up. So, anything is possible.

@STLBlues Thanks for your post w link.

As you said, not much new there, at least re VICTIM Kaylee.
Well, except for different name (or diff. spelling?) of victim, shown at link as "Kayleen."

"Bryan M. Kaemmerer of the law firm McCarthy, Leonard & Kaemmerer confirmed the victim of the assault is Kayleen Gain."

As to SUSPECT who was arrested. Atty --- unnamed (why not?) --- repping her provided some unexpected info about her:

“In light of the information that has been presented through the news media and social media, I believe it is necessary to introduce additional information to the narrative that exists at this time. My client is a 15-year-old child who was attending Hazelwood East School District. She was on the honor roll, played in the orchestra and also played on the school’s volleyball team.

“I believe all of the facts and circumstances of this incident are not appropriate to discuss at this time when another child is in such a critical condition. Those facts and circumstances will have their day in court. I join the call to denounce teen violence and bullying. And most importantly, I join my client and her family in extending our prayers for this family and their child.”

Just doing the atty's job, but there may be tomatoes (rotten or in cans?) headed in that direction. I missed any previous info from suspect's attorney.
imo

I believe her name was misspelled, 'Kayleen', in the article. Here is a portion of the direct statement, and it lists her name as 'Kaylee'.

1710815674946.png

....I would much rather see the state push to charge her as an adult, and prosecute her to the fullest extent of the law, which, if the attack victim survives, would be a charge of first degree assault, if I read the state laws correctly, which would carry a penalty of 5-15 years in prison. Obviously, if the victim dies, the charge could be elevated to, likely, a 2nd degree murder charge. Missouri does not have a specific 'attempted murder' charge. JMO

Under R.S.Mo. 565.050, “a person commits the offense of assault in the first degree if he or she attempts to kill or knowingly causes or attempts to cause serious physical injury to another person.”

First-degree assault is a Class B felony. The penalties for a Class B felony conviction can include 5 to 15 years in prison.

snipped for focus @SteveP Thanks :) for your well thought out post w links.
Adding another idea here re MO. assault statute, which is ordinarily a Class B felony, as you noted.

If "the person inflicts SERIOUS PHYSICAL INJURY on the victim" * (my CAPS), it is a Class A felony, so carries a longer sentence.

Seems a victim being hospitalized & unconscious for 10(?) days would constitute serious physical injury.

imo

"2. The offense of assault in the first degree is a class B felony unless in the course thereof the person inflicts serious physical injury on the victim, or if the victim of such assault is a special victim, as the term "special victim" is defined under section 565.002, in which case it is a class A felony."

I hate to say this, but you have not been to a high school or even a middle school lately have you? You'd be appalled at what is allowed.

That dress code is close to what we had when i was in school. Shorts weren't even allowed when I was in high school. But dress codes have been increasingly tossed out, often by courts, and do not seem to be enforced even when they exist. Administrators are terrified of kids and their advocates now.
This is strange and irrelevant to the case, imo, and don't forget: teens in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, and then 2000s when Britney made showing your midriff popular, all attracted similar comments from the older generations.

Kaylee.
I believe her name was misspelled, 'Kayleen', in the article. Here is a portion of the direct statement, and it lists her name as 'Kaylee'.
View attachment 491493
@SteveP Thanks for tracking the spelling of Kaylee's name.

Looks like the spelling boo-boo crept into the article by fox2now.com news reporter, not the law firm repping her.

Last edited:
snipped for focus @SteveP Thanks :) for your well thought out post w links.
Adding another idea here re MO. assault statute, which is ordinarily a Class B felony, as you noted.

If "the person inflicts SERIOUS PHYSICAL INJURY on the victim" * (my CAPS), it is a Class A felony, so carries a longer sentence.

Seems a victim being hospitalized & unconscious for 10(?) days would constitute serious physical injury.

imo

"2. The offense of assault in the first degree is a class B felony unless in the course thereof the person inflicts serious physical injury on the victim, or if the victim of such assault is a special victim, as the term "special victim" is defined under section 565.002, in which case it is a class A felony."
Good catch. I think you are correct. I missed the first part of that when I read it, and went straight to the category of "special victims". I certainly think the brutal assault warrants a more serious charge than second degree. JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back