Mistrial, Hung Jury - Raven Abaroa Murder in the 1st

I was just out watering my patio plants with the hose in one hand and not one but TWO pieces of See's candy in the other wondering if I can sue Raven for the 15 lbs I'm going to gain waiting for the verdict. As soon as closing was over I sent my roomies to See's with $40 worth of gift cards and told them to GET ME MY VERDICT WATCH CHOCOLATE. I predict, based on the whole thing, not just Charlene's awesome close, that we'll have a verdict by Friday morning at the very latest. Just MOO.

Well then me and my weight gain are in excellent company!
I hope you are right about a Friday morning verdict. At the latest. Would be nice.

Thanks for the info NCE, wow, lots of murders/trials in the past couple years there, the Hayes/Haze sounds interesting, I'll probably watch if they live stream it.

I can't remember now who and how but somebody inquired about WRAL living streaming the trial and they plan to. Or they were planning to when it was originally scheduled to begin in May. It will be interesting, if not horribly gory, but to add another layer of interest he's black and both women are white. His parents have the little boys by the deceased woman plus a near newborn by the woman co-defendant since they were locked up last summer. I read an article in a newspaper, Ohio or somewhere north of here, that the deceased's (Laura Atkinson) father is trying to get custody of the two little boys. But his family, including his own children-- all adults --appear to be very dysfunctional so that adds yet another dimension.

I can't remember now who and how but somebody inquired about WRAL living streaming the trial and they plan to. Or they were planning to when it was originally scheduled to begin in May. It will be interesting, if not horribly gory, but to add another layer of interest he's black and both women are white. His parents have the little boys by the deceased woman plus a near newborn by the woman co-defendant since they were locked up last summer. I read an article in a newspaper, Ohio or somewhere north of here, that the deceased's (Laura Atkinson) father is trying to get custody of the two little boys. But his family, including his own children-- all adults --appear to be very dysfunctional so that adds yet another dimension.

Doesn't sound like it'll be a very quick trial, that's okay, I like long books as well. lol

I'll google around and read up on it before trial begins, thanks. :)

From WRAL's 8pm internet news:

Durham prosecutor: Slain mom 'never saw it coming'

Durham, N.C. — Janet Marie Christiansen Abaroa had likely finished washing dishes and was preparing lunch for the next work day when she was killed in her Durham home on the evening of April 26, 2005 – a theory by prosecutors that starkly differs from the various accounts her husband, Raven Abaroa, told police in the 8-year-old murder investigation.

The 25-year-old's wedding rings were found by the kitchen sink – witnesses testified in his five-week first-degree murder trial that she never washed dishes with them on – and peanut butter and jelly were also on the countertop as if she had planned to make a sandwich.

It was likely, Durham County Assistant District Attorney Charlene Coggins-Franks told jurors Wednesday during closing arguments, that Raven Abaroa had called the new mother to the upstairs office of their home on Ferrand Drive and stabbed her as soon as she stepped into the room.

http://www.wral.com/durham-prosecutor-janet-abaroa-never-saw-it-coming-/12492085/

Good article NCEast - except I think they covered motive very well today.

I don't understand the defense using the lately found computer evidence as an excuse. If they had wanted to have more of it searched, wouldn't the judge have let him?
Or was it because he already found all the negative evidence there was?

Sending prayers that the jurors can see the clear puzzle pieces that we all saw today.

Prayers for Justice for Janet Marie Christiansen (Abaroa), her unborn child, Kaiden who never got to know his Momma, Mr. & Mrs. C, all Janet's brothers & sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews and all her friends who loved her.

Sending prayers that the jurors can see the clear puzzle pieces that we all saw today.

Prayers for Justice for Janet Marie Christiansen (Abaroa), her unborn child, Kaiden who never got to know his Momma, Mr. & Mrs. C, all Janet's brothers & sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews and all her friends who loved her.

We sure missed you today Trix. Wish you could have joined us with your thoughtful insights.

Good article NCEast - except I think they covered motive very well today.

I don't understand the defense using the lately found computer evidence as an excuse. If they had wanted to have more of it searched, wouldn't the judge have let him?
Or was it because he already found all the negative evidence there was?

I think the defense was making a mountain out of a molehill about the hard drive that was just found 2 weeks ago. They used it to try to trash Janet. I don't think there was anything much else on it that mattered but they wouldn't settle for nothing so they made something out of the innocent notes back and forth between Janet and the old boyfriend. That one computer expert had such a nasty attitude I don't think anybody absorbed what he was saying as much as they took notice of how hostile he was.

DT didn't have much to work with - their client is a lying piece of crap. So the best they could do is muddy the waters with silly things that would confuse the jury. Really, how else can you explain trying to make Janet's emails with Scott Hall such a big deal? It was all they had. And Raven's very few character witnesses did not help his case at all. Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas. Although it is not nice to a dog to compare it to Raven.

I think the defense was making a mountain out of a molehill about the hard drive that was just found 2 weeks ago. They used it to try to trash Janet. I don't think there was anything much else on it that mattered but they wouldn't settle for nothing so they made something out of the innocent notes back and forth between Janet and the old boyfriend. That one computer expert had such a nasty attitude I don't think anybody absorbed what he was saying as much as they took notice of how hostile he was.

Originally Posted by L L & S [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9515063#post9515063"]
viewpost.gif
[/ame]

I was just out watering my patio plants with the hose in one hand and not one but TWO pieces of See's candy in the other wondering if I can sue Raven for the 15 lbs I'm going to gain waiting for the verdict. As soon as closing was over I sent my roomies to See's with $40 worth of gift cards and told them to GET ME MY VERDICT WATCH CHOCOLATE. I predict, based on the whole thing, not just Charlene's awesome close, that we'll have a verdict by Friday morning at the very latest. Just MOO.

Well then me and my weight gain are in excellent company!
I hope you are right about a Friday morning verdict. At the latest. Would be nice.

Don't forget about me -- I and my hips are right there with ya, L L & S and East -- I'm already into the key lime cookies I made this week!

Fridays are usually pretty good days for getting a verdict -- maybe we will have one by lunch! That way, we will have only eaten for a half a day....

Justice for Janet!

I wouldn't be surprised, friends, if we haz verdict as early as tomorrow afternoon.

I noticed it, too, East, and I wondered why he was so hostile to the ADAs. Did the DT tell him that there were lions & tigers & bears (Oh, my!) over there at the next table? Was he afraid they would ask him something he should have known but didn't? Totally unnecessary attitude, seems to me.

They wimped out on the Mr. Dowd defense too and the Websleuths defense too.

Good Morning Everybody! I hope each of you is well. Hope, too, that we get a *guilty* verdict today. I am very concerned about Janet's mom as I just can't imagine how difficult this has been for her.

Good morning, NCEast & all! I'm wearing lavender for Janet today. Praying that we get a conviction today.

Good morning ! I have followed this case from the beginning but real life has intervened and I've not been able to post. Fortunately [ or unfortunately]I am home sick today and I am so hoping the correct verdict will be reached today !!!!

What time does the jury start deliberating today ? 9 or 9:30 ????

I have the Janet's ribbon sitting by my computer !

After seeing the ADA's closing, I must say she tied what evidence there was together beautifully. The puzzle of Raven's face was brilliant. Only seeing parts of the trial, I honestly did not think the evidence was strong enough for a 12-0 guilty verdict. In the end, I saw more than enough to easily convict this weasel for 1st degree murder.

Good morning, NCEast & all! I'm wearing lavender for Janet today. Praying that we get a conviction today.

Oh what a wonderful idea. I'm going to run to my closet and see if I have anything lavender!

Good morning ! I have followed this case from the beginning but real life has intervened and I've not been able to post. Fortunately [ or unfortunately]I am home sick today and I am so hoping the correct verdict will be reached today !!!!

What time does the jury start deliberating today ? 9 or 9:30 ????

I have the Janet's ribbon sitting by my computer !

They begin deliberating at 9:30am eastern. Good to have you join us today although I'm sorry you are sick.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back