MIT Researchers Say New Drug Found May Cure Any Viral Infection

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by coastal, Aug 16, 2011.

1. coastal

coastal Active Member

MIT Researchers Say New Drug Found May Cure Any Viral Infection
    August 16, 2011 11:00 AM EDT

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/198...dd-rider-researchers-cure-viral-infection.htm

>>>snip

...Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, or MIT, have developed what could be a groundbreaking drug, which can be read in the journal PLoS One, and seems effective at curing nearly any viral infection to include the common cold, influenza and other such illnesses.

...In the paper published July 27 in the journal, the researchers tested their drug against 15 viruses, and found it was effective against all of them — including rhinoviruses that cause the common cold, H1N1 influenza, a stomach virus, a polio virus, dengue fever and several other types of hemorrhagic fever.

(article continues)

<<<snip

Wow. Just...wow!

2. Loading...

3. Nova

Nova New Member

I'm suddenly reminded of the old saw: "When a story seems too good to be true, it usually is."

And also of the new season of Torchwood, in which people stop dying and the resulting overpopulation causes a host of new problems.

(These are just thoughts, not an argument that we shouldn't fight viruses. Good for the MIT guys, if this proves true!)

4. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ New Member

hmmmmm.

5. Emma Peel

Emma Peel Keep your bowler hat on in times of trouble, & bew

it's about damned time. :woohoo:

MIT Rocks!

Hey, this better work on computer viruses too. I mean - this IS MIT research, right?

lissen up brainiacs - now get busy curing cancer, MS, MD, ASL, AIDS, diverticulosis, depression, allergies, old age, cellulite, toe fungus and addiction. to name a few.

but seriously, that would be awesome, wouldn't it?

My DD took a course in viruses last semester. I'll ask her if she's heard of this research as being on the threshold. When she gets home. From exchanging viruses with her friends.

ETA: DD got home and I told her to google the news and she got on the MIT website and said: "cool".

So I guess that makes it official. :)

6. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

This is the 4th time this week I've read something published on the internet by IBT (international business times) that was worded oddly or was worded in a way that was misleading.

I found this article in the LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/health/boost...ersal-drug-20110815,0,7839108.story?track=rss

This isn't about the OP's thread but rather I am beginning to think at this time IBT can't be trusted as a MSM source.

I can't find anything out in particular about it either.

So IBT published that the cure had been found when it's acutally in developmental stages from what I'm reading.

hmm. JMHO

7. coastal

coastal Active Member

((The OP may have jumped a little soon...:eek: ))

(((But STILL!)))

8. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ New Member

I have to disagree. The OP's source's key word in the headline "MAY"

Whenever you read a story or hear a claim that icludes the word "may" just remember this sentance.........Monkeys may fly out of my butt. It will help everyone to put it in perspective.

9. Emma Peel

Emma Peel Keep your bowler hat on in times of trouble, & bew

Read about it (if you are inclined) on MIT's website.

http://web.mit.edu/press/2011/antiviral.html

Now, ask yourselves if MIT would be publishing this if they didn't believe they'd made quite the discovery. broad-spectrum anti-viral drug.

medical miracles in the making.

:cow:

heck, they've found the magic bullet that basically halts the onslaught of CML leukemia.

why not believe?

we are years away with clinical trials & FDA approvals, but ... my grandkids might never have to suffer a cold!

(okay, I'm a geek. but ... how kewl is that?)

10. Silkprint

Silkprint New Member

Cool beans!