Mitigating Factor: Filicide Children Killed by Parents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These stories are horrific and are happening way too often. I'm not sure why, though, reading them would particularly convince me that CA did no such thing. Still, I've never had a trunk as nanny/accidentally left in hot car theory of the case. Trunk as a temporary disposal site or for transport seems more likely. None of this is easy to envision for normal people, though.

It's very easy, if one doesn't want to have a child, or feels unable to raise one, to use contraception.

Or, if one doesn't believe in contraception, a lot of couples would be MORE than happy to adopt!

No way KC locked Caylee in the trunk - this is Florida - 100 degrees with outrageous humidity. If she did she would have surely died.... hmmm, maybe that's what happened.

No way KC locked Caylee in the trunk - this is Florida - 100 degrees with outrageous humidity. If she did she would have surely died.... hmmm, maybe that's what happened.

The last time I was in Florida a small child had been locked in the trunk at a local nightclub and someone heard him yelling and the police got him out, so that is evidently not that unusual in Florida even with the heat index.

This doesn't surprise me. A woman in Greenville County SC was arrested during the summer because they found she was giving birth to babies and just hiding them around her house. I believe it was 6 or 7 babies they found with the last that was just thrown under her sink. Her husband called the cops when he found this one. Nobody knew she was pregnant as she was a healthy size woman.

holy crap!!

The following is a link to a power point with some interesting stats about filicide in Italy.

http://www.i-psy.co.uk/conferences/8/presentations/alessandra_bramante.ppt

Of note:

- Most mothers who killed in the study were in the 18-30 age range
- Most of the mother's victims were under the age of 6
- Mothers overwhelmingly chose suffocation to kill their children, with
drowning the second most common method.

This made me think of method for other high profile cases: Diane Downs - firearm (incidently the most common method for fathers who kill), Susan Smith - drowning, Andrea Yates - drowning

Can we begin assembling a profile of the filicidal mother? Perhaps this would shed some light...

Those statistics are very scary and awful to ponder. Since you have an interest in statistics, more common though equally tragic and totally needless, are the statistics on drowning--in particular w/in the state of Florida where so many have backyard pools. Comparatively speaking, relative to filicide, the staggering statistics make this possibility infinitely more likely. JMO

*Of all preschoolers who drown, 75 percent are missing from sight for five minutes or less.

*Among children ages 1 to 4 years, most drownings occur in residential swimming pools. More than 85 percent of drowning among children ages 1 to 4 are pool related. Most young children who drowned in pools were in the care of one or both parents at the time.

*Barriers such as pool fencing, can help prevent children from gaining access to the pool area w/out caregivers’ awareness. Install a four-sided isolation fence that completely separates house and play area of the yard from the pool area. The fence should be at least 4 feet high. Use self-closing and self-latching gates that open outward w latches that are out of reach of children. Also, consider additional barriers such as automatic door locks or alarms to prevent access or notify you if someone enters the pool area.

*The Association of Pool and Spa Professions (ASSP) recommends being aware of objects (ETA like tables, chairs, or containers) which could allow children to climb over barriers and reach the pool.

*Drowning is a "silent killer," swimming and child medical experts said. It's not at all like Hollywood dramatizations depicting floundering swimmers bobbing to the surface yelping for help for several minutes.

*"Kids slip in the water like a pebble going under," said Dr. Marty Eichelberger CEO of the National SAFE KIDS Campaign. "As they try to get themselves out of the water, they sorta streamline their bodies making this linear form, and it takes them straight to the bottom. They only have a minute or two before they loose consciousness. ... It is a silent thing because they are under the water. They are trying to get themselves to the point where they can breathe, and as they breathe, they just suck in more water."

*The majority of children who survive (92%) are discovered w/in two minutes following submersion, and most children who die (86%) are found after 10 minutes. Nearly all who require CPR die or are left w severe brain injury. Nonfatal drownings can cause brain damage that may result in long-term disabilities including learning disabilities and permanent loss of basic functioning (permanent vegetative state).

*In 2005, of all children 1 to 4 years old who died, almost 30% died from drowning. Although drowning rates have slowly declined fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death for children.

All of these statistics really bother me in a BIG way. It put me in mind of a poem I read years and years ago. I have posted it below.

The Monkeys Disgrace

Three monkeys sat in a coconut tree
Discussing things as they're said to be.
Said one to another, "Now listen, you two,
There's a certain rumor that cannot be true,
That man descends from our noble race -
The very idea is a disgrace.
No monkey ever deserted his wife,
Starved her babies and ruined her life;
And you've never known a mother monk
To leave her babies with others to bunk,
Or pass them on from one to another
Til they scarcely know who is their mother.
And another thing you'll never see -
A monk build a fence around a coconut tree
And let the coconuts go to waste,
Forbidding all other monks to taste.
Why, if I put a fence around this tree,
Starvation would force you to steal from me.
Here's another thing a monk won't do -
Go out at night and get on a stew,
Or use a gun or club or knife
To take some other monkey's life;
Yes, Man Descended - That ornery cuss -
But, brother, he didn't descend from us!"
- anonymous

I can't believe how many sick people there are out there. :eek: How can you lock your child in a trunk and then walk off as he cries? Unbelievable!!

that's why kc used duct tape???? IMO, what about little hands and feet, kicking and hitting trunk??? Just on mouth??? Lots of unanswered questions for the *spiteful beach*:behindbar

My heart grieves for kids today. The lack of parenting skills is astounding. I feel this needs to be addressed by the media WAY more than it has been lately.

Several articles I've read put parents who kill into 5 categories:

altruism (psychotic parent believes they are saving child from suffering)
acute psychosis
accident (killed accidentally, as a result of domestic violence for example)
unwanted child (seen more often with infant murders)
revenge against spouse or partner

In this case altruism and accute psychosis don't seem likely to me...just the covering up would seem to suggest mens rea.

I think several things speak against unwanted child - these are typically infants not already established in the family, many family friend accounts that Casey was previously a very loving mom

The articles I've read did note that many, but not all unintentional homicides due to violence, etc. had previous histories of violence.

As for revenge against partner or spouse, Cindy was the closest thing Casey had to a co-parent...coupled with the "I'm a spiteful *advertiser censored* comment makes you wonder...

Of all children under age 5 murdered from 1976-2005 --

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/children.htm
  • 31% were killed by fathers
  • 29% were killed by mothers
  • 23% were killed by male acquaintances
  • 7% were killed by other relatives
  • 3% were killed by strangers
My math leaves 7% "unknown" - so if you apply the same breakdown to those, approximately 4% of the unknowns would be a parent -- meaning 71% of kids under 5 are killed by a parent or relative.

(and my guess would be that almost ALL of those 23% "male acquaintances" are the mother's current boyfriend.)

I agree. Just giving birth does not a mommy make. Some women do not have the maternal feeling or actions that others do have. My cousin is a prime example. She has three boys. She leaves them at all hours with my aunt. She may not show up again for 2 or 3 weeks. If they need a doctor my aunt has to do it because my cousin doesn't have the time (even though she is not employed). And if she can't get someone to take the boys for her she takes them out cruising and partying with her.
Some people are not meant to be parents. plain and simple.

I agree. I know a young woman who by all appearances really has it together. She does great at work and in her personal relationships but has never felt an attachment of any kind towards her son. I had the opportunity to see what she was like with her child when they stayed with me for a few weeks and it was unbelievable how cold she actually was towards him. She told me that she really had no idea what maternal instincts were and that she just assumed they would kick in someday. They just never did. She never felt a bond with her son but to give him up would be equal to some sort of failure on her part. I could not understand why she would insist on raising him when so many of her family members would have jumped at the chance. In that way, it reminds me of Casey and how she may have felt about her own daughter and the idea of her mom raising her.

These stories are horrific and are happening way too often. I'm not sure why, though, reading them would particularly convince me that CA did no such thing. Still, I've never had a trunk as nanny/accidentally left in hot car theory of the case. Trunk as a temporary disposal site or for transport seems more likely. None of this is easy to envision for normal people, though.

I didn't read the links posted, but I did search a couple of days ago, and read several stories about kids dying in trunks of cars.

I also think the trunk was brought into play after Caylee's death. The stories I read clarified what I have thought all along, even a few hours in the trunk of a car, especially in the temperatures in FL, are going to cause noticeable damage to a child. I didn't find specifics on temperatures for trunks, but some articles I read stated in the actual car, the temperature can rise over 40 degrees above outside temp in one hour. My assumption is it would be a little cooler in a trunk, but IMO not enough to make a difference, even at night in Florida. Caylee would have had to have showed at least some symptoms of heat stroke, again, IMO, had the trunk been serving as babysitter.
Lanie

Of all children under age 5 murdered from 1976-2005 --

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/children.htm
  • 31% were killed by fathers
  • 29% were killed by mothers
  • 23% were killed by male acquaintances
  • 7% were killed by other relatives
  • 3% were killed by strangers
My math leaves 7% "unknown" - so if you apply the same breakdown to those, approximately 4% of the unknowns would be a parent -- meaning 71% of kids under 5 are killed by a parent or relative.

(and my guess would be that almost ALL of those 23% "male acquaintances" are the mother's current boyfriend.)

Thank you for posting these stats. I get a bit irked when people say they don't think Casey killed Caylee because they can't wrap their minds around it or imagine a mother would do such a thing. It doesn't matter what you can wrap your mind around or imagine....mother's kill thier children all the time! Since this case started, there have been about a dozen children murdered in the U.S.....by thier parents.

In crimes of neonaticide, which is
virtually exclusively committed by women, mothers are younger, rarely married,
poorly educated, have a low level of psychiatric disorders and psychosocial
stressors, no history of criminal behavior, and do not attempt suicide after the
murders

sound like anyone we know?

http://www.publications.villanova.edu/Concept/2005/Filicide.pdf

It sounds like KC for sure, except that neonaticide is when a newborn is killed within the first 24 hours of life. Caylee's murder doesn't fit the definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77