MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, 11 April 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that is why she will be charged with a crime. From the video is seems perfectly clear she intended to tase him. She yells "taser, taser, taser," before firing, standard procedure. the instant she fires she reacts with "oh my god" and drops the gun. Do you honestly think she did all that just to shoot this guy?
No, I think that she panicked as is often the case in police shootings IMO.

Were his actions, if he was actually attempting to escape intentional?
Can we say that without a full investigation?
I do not believe we can.

Police are trained to look for violations, but they also bring to the job the same prejudices and false perceptions about crime that the general public holds, said Brian Levin, director of the Center for the Study of Hate & Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino.

"While recruits enter the profession with the same unfortunate stereotypes present overall in society, these prejudices, even subconscious ones, can be further elevated later by such things as peer validation, poor training and unfounded fears to create disastrous outcomes in highly charged situations," said Levin, who walked a beat in Harlem as a New York City police officer before he became an academic.

Wright's death also coincided with reports that two Virginia police officers are being sued, accused of threatening to execute Army 2nd Lt. Caron Nazario during a traffic stop — and blasting him with pepper spray.

They pulled over Nazario, who is Black and Latino, for not having license plates on his newly purchased SUV even though a new vehicle tag was clearly visible in the rear window.

190613-corky_siemaszko-byline1016_e1f7084d536bc0ca92416d8af119f723.focal-100x100.jpg
Corky Siemaszko
Corky Siemaszko is a senior writer for NBC News Digital.

Daunte Wright was stopped for expired plates, but driving while Black may have been his 'crime'

Opposite sides. It's hard to have confidence in police when they confuse one from the other. Wouldn't a taser weigh less, too?

That is the exact topic Mr. Pink and I were discussing and we do not understand how this happened. I mean, I know if I pick up my pen or pencil without looking. The weights are different, how they balance and overall feel in your hand is different.

The Chief explained earlier. Like most departments, they wear their firearm on the dominant hand side, and the taser on the non-dominant side.

I assume each goes in a holster specific to it? I appreciate your and others help! I am coming in a little late. I didn't even know this happened until this evening.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

If she gets to panic and lose her head, why doesn't he? She's the seasoned professional. He's the civilian. She and the officers have him in their custody - "custody" means care, not just control. He is a very young black man who has every reason to be afraid. And I am sure that he was. Neither of them have to be angels in order to get some compassion, but the people in charge are the people in charge, and they made some grievous mistakes that in all likelihood, they won't be held accountable for. And he's dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
During pregame availability, coach Taylor Jenkins began by sending condolences to the family and friends of Daunte Wright, a 20-year-old Black man from Minneapolis who was shot and killed by a police officer Sunday during a traffic stop.

The tragedy that’s happened has just been another reminder about how there is so much change that needs to happen in our country," said Jenkins. "More work needs to be done, and we talked as a team about the importance of using our voices to speak out on injustices, how there needs to be equality for all, how these situations are avoidable and change needs to happen," Jenkins said.
Memphis Grizzlies send condolences to family, friends of Daunte Wright

That is the exact topic Mr. Pink and I were discussing and we do not understand how this happened. I mean, I know if I pick up my pen or pencil without looking. The weights are different, how they balance and overall feel in your hand is different.
And you know if it is in your right or left hand. I hold my knife in my right hand and my fork in my left hand and never, ever get them mixed up.
Are they trained to use the tazer in their right or left hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak