MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, 11 April 2021

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Tippy Lynn, Apr 11, 2021.

1. al66pine

al66pine Well-Known Member

"Nothing Good to Say?"
    @Gibbo214 The "say nothing" adage may be all fine and good in obituaries & many other circumstances, but if prosecutors followed it to the letter, they would be out of work. Ditto crim defense atty's, as there would be no crim prosecutions for them to defend.

On a more serious note, per our 1st Amendment, reporters/media have freedom of the press* and individuals enjoy the right of free speech.**

MadMcGoo, Marg from Oz, Razz and 7 others like this.

2. Tippy Lynn

Tippy Lynn Well-Known Member

Thank you and you're welcome.

I like to look at all the facts good, bad, ugly and everything in between.

Marg from Oz, abr, Breathe and 13 others like this.
  3. kittythehare

kittythehare Well-Known Member

You get through the court system with the speed of light.
    I wish I had your skills.
    Thank you so much for your graciousness and generosity.
    (I'll try to keep all in one place now so I can find them)

4. Gibbo214

Gibbo214 Former Member

All western democracies have freedom of speech. This does not, however, allow threatening to jail political opponents and call them criminals.

5. SugarQueen

SugarQueen Well-Known Member

As awful as this situation is I just can’t understand how anyone thinks it was intentional. Kim Potter made a deadly mistake when reacting to DW resisting.
    She is being charged and will be held accountable.

MadMcGoo, Marg from Oz, abr and 11 others like this.
  6. Gibbo214

Gibbo214 Former Member

I cannot think how a 26 year veteran of LE could make that mistake. And then say 'Oh ****, I shot him' I expected an lol after that oh dear moment. That is the response after you shoot someone? 'Oh ****'?

7. CrimeAway

CrimeAway Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    MadMcGoo, Marg from Oz, Razz and 5 others like this.
  8. SugarQueen

SugarQueen Well-Known Member

Yes, that was her response. It sounded like a genuine, shocked, response to me.
    Is there a more appropriate response?

MadMcGoo, Marg from Oz, abr and 7 others like this.
  9. Apollo

Apollo Well-Known Member

I think the Oh **** adds to her credibility that it was a mistake or why say that?

Perhaps some people think when listening to the comment that she's saying it in a sarcastic manner. We all hear and see things differently.

MadMcGoo, Marg from Oz, abr and 8 others like this.
  10. Gibbo214

Gibbo214 Former Member

I think that there are many more appropriate responses than 'Oh ****'.

11. Gibbo214

Gibbo214 Former Member

I think that 'oh ****' means nothing. It sounds like she is saying, 'Oh dear, snicker, snicker'.

al66pine likes this.
  12. Gibbo214

Gibbo214 Former Member

I have no idea what that means. Why would prosecutors be out of work if they did not bring up previous charges? And do defence attorneys defend previous crimes?

Marg from Oz and al66pine like this.
  13. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

You can look up by name. The charges are felony’s and are in the District court.
    @Tippy Lynn posted at the beginning of the thread. I think it was the first day.

14. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

Morning all!

ITA!

Sadly, I read about police officers being shot almost every single day it seems with multiple being shot at one time.

I agree the bad apples in any PD should be removed, but all those being shot weren't bad. They were honorable LEOs carrying out their duties when shot, stabbed or run over by bad people with the intent to do them grave harm.

Every poll I've seen about this subject shows the majority wants police officers in their communities including AAs, and certainly not less or none.

Imo, it's unwise to paint any profession with the same wide brush as if they are all the same. Actual statistic about LEOs who comes in contact with millions of people each year shows most do their duties very well... even though 60k LEOs each year are assaulted or attacked in the line of duty per the FBI.

Mrs, Potter should stand trial for killing Mr. Wright. May justice be served. It shows each case is based on what an individual has done as it always should be. That's the very foundation of our justice system.

Jmhoo

MadMcGoo, Marg from Oz, abr and 10 others like this.
  15. SaguaroSpirit

SaguaroSpirit You cannot comply your way out of tyranny.

BBM. That statement is getting more true by the day.

16. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

Imo, more police training isn't the problem.

If that was true then everyone in all PDs all across our country would be doing bad things because they aren't properly trained when each one has the same training as all have on their police force where they serve.

Yet the vast majority of LEOs aren't doing these bad acts by any stretch of the imagination even though trained the same in each department.

So to me it's clear. It comes right back to each individual of those who shouldn't have ever become police officers in the first place no matter where they are located.

Jmho tho

Apollo, Marg from Oz, abr and 4 others like this.
  17. tlcya

tlcya Old and Tired Websleuth

I received her excited utterance as genuine shock and dismay at what she had just done. I did not take it as dismissive or "oh well" or snicker snicker.

I find it interesting how we all receive and hear things differently. The other day a poster thought they heard another officer onscene respond with "oh well" when in actuality the officer said "oh wow".

I do think this shooting was not justified and it does warrant the 2nd degree manslaughter charge. Do I think she did it on purpose? No. Did she do it and is she 100% culpable? Absolutely. JMO

Apollo, MadMcGoo, JaneEyre and 19 others like this.
  18. RaspberryMama

RaspberryMama Well-Known Member

Questions...

In regards to notices being sent to a wrong address - DW was out on bail waiting to appear in court in August, is that correct? If so, wouldn't he have had to be meeting with a parole officer regularly? Was he? If he was, why wasn't he informed at one of those meetings?

Also, does anyone know if the officer's hearing today at 1:30 will be televised?

Apollo, Marg from Oz, misgrn and 4 others like this.
  19. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

This has already been debunked. The returned envelope is out of the other case and not related to the case where the warrant was issued. I'm not sure its even the same court. This needs to stop being posted.

Apollo, Marg from Oz, Finlay and 8 others like this.
  20. tara83

tara83 Well-Known Member

KP was sure not under attack in this situation.I don't see what other cases have to do with this situation.