GUILTY MN - Eli Hart, 6, found deceased in mother’s trunk, Mound, 20 May 2022 *Arrest*

Tippy Lynn

Reaction score

Family has identified the boy found in the trunk of a vehicle Friday as 6-year-old Eli.
According to the Orono Police Department, officers received a call just before 7:10 a.m. on a report of a suspicious vehicle driving on a rim with its back window smashed out. When officers located the vehicle, they conducted a traffic stop at Shoreline Drive and Bartlett Boulevard in the city of Mound and noticed blood inside the vehicle.

Court records reveal that Eli Hart's father, Tory Hart, had been fighting for custody against Hart's mother. In January 2021, Dakota County filed a child protection services (CPS) order and gave legal and physical custody of Eli Hart to Dakota County Social Services.

Tory Hart filed to establish full custody on March 11, 2022, and on March 30 a judge ruled to maintain Dakota County Social Services' custody of the boy. The case was then given an inactive status while the Dakota County CPS case was being resolved.

On May 10, Eli Hart's mother was granted full custody, according to WCCO.

Last edited:

Police say that the boy’s death is being investigated as a domestic incident. Court records show the boy’s mother, Julissa Thaler, was recently awarded full custody of Hart. Thaler was arrested Friday in Orono and is currently in custody on suspicion of murder.

Documents from Dakota County court detail concerns social workers had about Thaler’s mental health, criminal history and living situation. Still, she was granted full parental custody of Hart earlier this month, and the case was dismissed.

Police say that the boy’s death is being investigated as a domestic incident. Court records show the boy’s mother, Julissa Thaler, was recently awarded full custody of Hart. Thaler was arrested Friday in Orono and is currently in custody on suspicion of murder.

Documents from Dakota County court detail concerns social workers had about Thaler’s mental health, criminal history and living situation. Still, she was granted full parental custody of Hart earlier this month, and the case was dismissed.
Woah!! So, she fought for full custody and won. Then the mother turns around and murders her son!? I don't understand some people. I'll never understand that degree of selfishness. SMH

This makes my blood boil. His father and stepmom were fighting hard for custody to protect him because they knew mom was unstable. The Ad Litem , the legal advocate for the child, knew the mom was unstable and said so in court. The social workers 'were concerned' with her mental health, KNEW she had not finished her required steps they had given her, like the classes and trainings, etc.

They knew she had recently stolen pharmaceuticals from her pharmacy and they knew she had over a dozen recent traffic violations for reckless driving, speeding, loss of license, etc....

AND THEY AWARDED HER FULL CUSTODY?????????

From the article. social workers had expressed concerns about the mother's ability to parent. It was the judge who granted custody to the mother.

I wonder if children in the MN Child Protection Services are given their own lawyers who act on their behalf to bring the child's best interests before the judge. It seems to me that some judges do not listen to the concerns of CPS representatives. They may be deciding based on the best interests of the parent rather than the child. Such judges may have more respect for a lawyer acting on the child's behalf.

Another detail that is rather alarming in this sad court case, is that it took two months, from March 11 to May 10 for a ruling to be made on the custody issue. Two months is a long time for a child's future to be left in limbo.

These two issues had been raised as problematic in CPS work in our region, particularly among First Nations Child Services and reforms have been made that are making a positive impact. Children are given a lawyer to coordinate efforts of CPS and act in the child's best interest, and decisions for children have to take top priority in the court and be resolved within 5 days.

Unbelievable that they gave custody to her.... shaking my head...

Poor Eli... Why??

Nothing in the court site yet on a hearing date. Anyone know the name of the other person yet?

following this case - and Justice for little Eli!

This makes my blood boil. His father and stepmom were fighting hard for custody to protect him because they knew mom was unstable. The Ad Litem , the legal advocate for the child, knew the mom was unstable and said so in court. The social workers 'were concerned' with her mental health, KNEW she had not finished her required steps they had given her, like the classes and trainings, etc.

They knew she had recently stolen pharmaceuticals from her pharmacy and they knew she had over a dozen recent traffic violations for reckless driving, speeding, loss of license, etc....

AND THEY AWARDED HER FULL CUSTODY?????????
I shouldn't have said 'they' awarded custody, as if it was social services. As was pointed out above, it was the judge who made that unusual decision.

Maybe there is something that we don't know about the father,'s home, that made the judge deny him.

Since she was arrested - isn't there 48 hours that she has a hearing? Do you all think it might be today, Monday?

I'm still not finding her "new" case in the court site. Not sure IF I need a case # to search for this case.

Anyone find anything "local"?

Since she was arrested - isn't there 48 hours that she has a hearing? Do you all think it might be today, Monday?

I'm still not finding her "new" case in the court site. Not sure IF I need a case # to search for this case.

Anyone find anything "local"?

Hi @Niner. It looks like we'll need a case number which I haven't found yet. Her booking information is at this link, but I don't see a case number.

Last edited:
MNCIS Case #: 27CR229775
Case No. 27-CR-22-9775
State of Minnesota vs Julissa Angelica Genrich Thaler

Date Filed: 5/23/22
DOB: 02/06/1994

Murder - 2nd Degree - With Intent-Not Premeditated, Statue 609.19.1(1), Felony, 5/20/22
Addtl Statutes:
Minimum Sentences of Imprisonment-Firearm Use or Possession
Minimum Sentences of Imprisonment - Applicable Offenses
Murder - 2nd Degree

05/23/2022 - Interim Condition for Thaler, Julissa Angelica Genrich
- No contact with witness(es)
- Post Bail or Bond with Conditions
$2,000,000.00

05/24/2022 - First Appearance (1:30 PM) (Judicial Officer Norris, Lyonel)

Hennepin County Jail Roster:

MN Court Site:

JT Court Case:
https://pa.courts.state.mn.us/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=1629909564

@Niner - here's the information you were looking for.

An autopsy revealed Eli Hart was shot multiple times and that his mother, Julissa Angelica Genrich Thaler, had human remains in her hair when arrested by police.:(

An autopsy revealed Eli Hart was shot multiple times and that his mother, Julissa Angelica Genrich Thaler, had human remains in her hair when arrested by police.:(
From your link.

Police first encountered Thaler during a traffic stop initiated when officers noticed the Impala she was driving was missing a front tire and had the back window shot out. The complaint says police saw a live shotgun shell and a spent casing inside the vehicle, and what appeared to be a bullet hole in the back seat. They also noticed blood on the defendant's hand, but released Thaler from the scene.
Shortly after she left, police determined there was probable cause to search the vehicle, and they located the body of a child, later identified as Eli Hart, in the trunk along with a shotgun.

Shortly after she left, police determined there was probable cause to search the vehicle, and they located the body of a child, later identified as Eli Hart, in the trunk along with a shotgun.

Squads immediately went to the Thaler's apartment and found that she wasn't there but the washing machine was running. The complaint says the clothes worn by the defendant were being washed in the machine.

Officers soon located Thaler attempting to leave the area on foot and placed her under arrest. Police observed what appeared to be blood and human remains in her hair.

The father should send the obituary of his little boy to the judge...

jmo

It's possible that the father was not considered a suitable parent. But yes, there has to be reforms in the legal area system. The child's best interest needs to be the prime consideration in court, so that judges are less likely to give custody to unsuitable and dangerous parents.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151
Back