MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #17 - Chauvin Trial Day 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will need to rewind as I missed the breathtaking moment itself. But I suspect Blackwell showed the slide that IS an already allowed exhibit for the defense but had to question carefully so that Tobin didn't refer to the portion that showed the testing was actually done as part of the autopsy specifically.

This info was out there for both sides. It is not new. The problem began when Fowler began to opine on carbon monoxide when the state was not informed he would be doing so and therefore they were not prepared to challenge that testimony. That in turn caused Baker to say hey, wait, look at this, on the defense exhibit, this says that testing was done, did you guys (state) introduce it? (aha moment) so the state tried to get it in and was denied)
Yes, it was Dr. Fowler who went on and on about evidence that did not even exist.

This info was out there for both sides. It is not new. The problem began when Fowler began to opine on carbon monoxide when the state was not informed he would be doing so and therefore they were not prepared to challenge that testimony. That in turn caused Baker to say hey, wait, look at this, on the defense exhibit, this says that testing was done, did you guys (state) introduce it? (aha moment) so the state tried to get it in and was denied)

RSBM

This is not correct. The State had Fowler's report back in February. He specifically said, it should be done.

It was after yesterday's testimony that Baker looked for more info, and it was not disclosed to either the State OR the defense.

The Judge ruled that Fowlers opinion was NOT new and they had ample time to refute that.

They also could have asked Tobin about it the first he was on the stand, they absolutely knew what Fowler was going to say.

Wow Dr. Tobin has the right answer again. Apparently Mr.Nelson could not get any good questions from his calls. What an awful way to end...Tobin telling him he already has the articles!!!

I cannot keep up with this this morning. What happened on cross?

Wait. Help. Did Dr Baker really forget to mention blood gas test results in his report? But my understanding is that somehow the State had that info separately since February, correct? They just assumed the defense wouldn’t present it as part of their case.

Am I understanding the issue correctly?
Dr. Baker did not include the specific test that the prosecution wanted to bring in as "new evidence." The judge ruled that since the prosecution knew about Fowler's claim of potential carbon monoxide poisoning, they should have inquired about it before. However, they wouldn't have known about second test since Dr. Baker left it out of the report. He apparently called them last night to let them know.

Anyway, it seems they didn't need it because Dr. Tobin was able to refer to the test result that was initially included, which was the blood sample showing 98% oxygen, which would mean it would be impossible for the carbon monoxide level to be more than 2%. (I think his level was 1.5, but that information was not allowed)

At least that's the way I understood it.

The jury now has the rest of today, friday, saturday and sunday off. Closing arguments begin on Monday. I don't remember in all of the trials I have watched a jury having that length of time off before closing arguments. I suppose it would be good for the jurors to be well rested along with the lawyers to be rested and well prepared for next week.

How cool! This is the first time following trials that the judge is saying that all the exhibits will be on a computer and they will not have to come back into the courtroom.

This is a first in any trial I have ever followed.

Love how COVID (hate COVID) has accelerated and changed rules for courts. Hope those rules continue.

RSBM

This is not correct. The State had Fowler's report back in February. He specifically said, it should be done.

It was after yesterday's testimony that Baker looked for more info, and it was not disclosed to either the State OR the defense.

The Judge ruled that Fowlers opinion was NOT new and they had ample time to refute that.

They also could have asked Tobin about it the first he was on the stand, they absolutely knew what Fowler was going to say.

I'm so confused. BBM above: what should be done?

Paul Blume
@PaulBlume_FOX9
·
6m
DR. TOBIN ON THE STAND: Watch Dr. Martin Tobin discuss the maximum level of carbon monoxide in #GeorgeFloyd blood at time of death. Eric Nelson now cross examining the Chicago area pulmonologist. Dr. Tobin will be the trial's final witness.

DEVELOPING: Witness testimony at #DerekChauvinTrial is complete. State of Minnesota again formally rests. "Evidence is complete," says Judge Peter Cahill. Jury heading home now. Closing arguments will remain on schedule for Monday.

link: https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members