MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #17 - Chauvin Trial Day 14

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Tippy Lynn, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weki

Weki Well-Known Member

Oh I’m certain at least a couple of them are. Of course they’ll be instructed that they can’t hold that against him but some jurors do regardless. I know one juror on my jury did. In this case, it’s a police officer so there could be the sentiment that he needs to explain himself especially given 9 minutes and 29 seconds! It’s a simple question of “wtf dude?” JMO

misgrn, SouthAussie, Niner and 3 others like this.

2. Rhozwen

Rhozwen Well-Known Member

The judge said they will be "off the record until Monday" and the lawyers and judge will be in what he called a "charge meeting". So it seems that meeting is not aired? That's what I can gather.

misgrn, Breathe, SouthAussie and 4 others like this.
  3. missy1974

missy1974 Well-Known Member

I think they just decided to do it more informally, not for any reason other than they wanted too lol No camera's... I don't blame them.
    Yep, I'm sure there will be a few of us looking for those today and/or tomorrow.
    SOOOOO important how these will be worded IMO

4. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 I will do it, but I won't like it

I need to relisten to get subtleties MOO. It wasn't that they weren't "accurate"... it's the interpretation MOO

MadMcGoo likes this.
  5. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

misgrn, Sillybilly, Fidobell and 9 others like this.
  6. JerseyGirl

Back on the record to discuss juror instructions.

They’re currently discussing the use of force instructions. Nelson says it would “...specifically to include the totality of circumstances tests as well as the without regard to his own state of mind intention or motivation language.”

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1382787452901941248?s=21

Nelson says there was a “substantial amount of instruction” on the 3rd degree murder charge. He asks it be consistent with a recent ruling and statutory language.

On the 2nd degree murder charge instructions, Nelson says "Again, it is the defendants position that the standard jury instruction should be applied as the court had included & that modifications were not necessarily relevant to intent to cause the assault…”

Judge Cahill says his instructions list what the jury should not consider…including "sympathy, prejudice, bias, public opinion, and they should also not consider the consequences or possible penalties that might attach to their decision.”

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1382788951652630531?s=21

misgrn, Mo Thuairim, Fidobell and 2 others like this.
  7. JerseyGirl

Attorney Sundeep Iyer is currently presenting the state’s argument on jury instructions via a phone call.

Iyer offers an alternative definition pulled from a recent MN Supreme Court ruling. “Reckless disregard for human life means that the defendant was indifferent to the loss of life that an eminently dangerous act by the defendant could cause”

Iyer asks the court to delete the phrase “May not have been specifically directed at the particular person whose death occurred” or if not, to change “may not” to “Need.”

This is related to 3rd degree murder instructions.

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1382792023615410176?s=21

misgrn, Mo Thuairim, Fidobell and 2 others like this.
  8. JerseyGirl

Matthew Frank is following up now on instructions on the 2019 incident…

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1382792327228448769?s=21

Frank: You know we did oppose the instruction about the invocation of the Fifth Amendment, privilege, just so that's on the record.

Nelson: ...the last paragraph that states whether the officers own conduct during the incident unreasonably created the need to use such force, and we had objected to that.

Judge Cahill says he’ll have a draft to the attorneys tomorrow morning. He tells them they won’t argue the substance of the instructions, but he will address typos.

Back in court Monday 9 a.m.

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1382793698900123658?s=21

9. JerseyGirl

10. JerseyGirl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.