MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #4 - Chauvin Trial Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is to discuss the case of George Floyd. It is not a thread to discuss racism in general.

Unless your post relates to this case specifically, it is off topic and will be removed.

The court session will begin at 10 a.m. ET and the opening statements are expected to begin at 10.30 a.m. ET.

I'll do a compilation of links to live feeds that others have mentioned, or within this article below (and any others I find that are within TOS) about 9:45 am ET in one post.

Historically, I find that YouTube vs. network feeds are best to avoid buffering and delays and freezing (do lower quality on settings if you have low speed where you live to assist), although technology, bandwidth and router speeds are better now than in the past.

How to watch the Derek Chauvin trial live on TV and online

Last edited:
From a media perspective, the trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin will be the biggest trial of the streaming TV age.

Opening arguments will get underway around 10 a.m. Eastern on Monday.

People will be watching on streaming-first services like Law & Crime as well as TV networks like HLN.

Law & Crime proprietor Dan Abrams told me "there have been other trials in the last few years that have garnered national interest" -- the trials of Amber Guyger, Michelle Carter, Robert Durst -- "but definitely not on the same scale." He said "the Hulk Hogan/Gawker civil trial also saw big viewership but again nothing like this."

For a primer on what to expect, read Eric Levenson's overview for CNN.com. "In a first for Minnesota," he wrote, "the trial will be broadcast live in its entirety to accommodate Covid-19 attendance restrictions, giving the public a rare peek into the most important case of the Black Lives Matter era."

Derek Chauvin's trial is the biggest courtroom case of the streaming TV age - CNN

The jury is made up of nine women and six men. Nine of the jurors identify as white, four as Black and two as of mixed race. They range in ages from the 20s to the 60s.

Fourteen jurors, including the two alternates, will be present for opening statements next week. A 15th juror will be dismissed unless one of the others is released before then.

Chauvin faces second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter charges in Floyd's death.

Second-degree murder carries the heftiest potential penalty. If convicted on that charge, he could face up to 40 years in prison. Second-degree murder also requires the highest burden of proof.

The lesser charge of third-degree murder carries a penalty of up to 25 years.

The final charge Chauvin faces, second-degree manslaughter, has the lowest burden of proof and carries a maximum penalty of 10 years.

Here's what to know about the Derek Chauvin trial

Monday, March 29th:
*Trial begins with Opening Statements (Day 1) (@ 9am CT) - MN – George Perry Floyd, Jr. (46) (May 25, 2020, Minneapolis, arrested for forgery & killed in police custody) - *Derek Michael Chauvin (44/now 45) police officer who held his knee on Floyd’s neck for 8 minutes & 46 seconds (Note: on 10/14/20 this has been changed to 9 minutes & 30 seconds) (& non responsive for 2 minutes & 53 seconds before officer took his knee off his neck; from 8:19pm to 8:28pm his knee was on Floyd’s neck; has been fired (5/26/20) & arrested & charged (5/29/20) with 3rd degree murder & 2nd degree manslaughter. Charges changed (6/3/20) to 2nd degree murder-unintentional-while committing a felony, 3rd degree murder-perpetrating eminently dangerous act (3rd degree charge was dismissed on 10/22/20 & reinstated on 3/11/21) & evincing depraved mind & 2nd degree manslaughter-culpable negligence creating unreasonable risk. $500K bond, reset (6/8/20) @ $1.25M & $1M with conditions. Posted non-cash $1M bond (10/7/20) & has been released from jail.
Trial began on 3/8/21 with jury selection. Jury selection ran through March 26, 2021. Opening statements & the commencement of the State’s case will begin on March 29, 2021. Experts anticipate the trial could last 2-4 weeks. Jurors: 12 & 2 alternates. Jurors will be sequestered during deliberations. None of the other officers will be testifying at Chauvin’s trial.
Jurors seated as of 3/26/21: 1) Juror #2: White man in his 20s; chemist. 2) Juror #9: Multi-racial woman in her 20s. 3) Juror #19: White man in his 30s; auditor. 4) Juror #27: Black man in his 30s; IT Security Manager. 5) Juror #44: White woman in her 50s; Non-profit health advocate. 6) Juror #52: Black man in his 30s; banker/youth sports coach. 7) Juror #55: White woman in her 50s; Exec. Assistant in healthcare. 8) Juror #79: Black man in his 40s. 9) Juror #86: Multi-racial woman in her 40s; organizational management consultant. 10) Juror #89: White woman in her 50s; cardiac care nurse. 11) Juror #91: Black woman in her 60s; grandmother & volunteers at youth organizations. 12) Juror #92: White woman in her 40s; commercial insurance. 13) Juror #96: White woman in her 50s; customer service, business burned down during riots. 14) Juror #118: White woman in her 20s; social worker. 15) Juror #131: White man in his 20s; accountant-Will be dismissed if all 14 jurors show up for duty. Total: 6-men/9-women. (4 black, 9 white & 2 multi-racial). More info on the jurors:
Who are the jurors in the Derek Chauvin trial? - StarTribune.com

Bond conditions & court info & jury selection (3/9 thru 3/22) from 12/19/20 thru 3/22/21 reference post #856 here:
MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *officers charged* #3

3/23/21 Tuesday, Day 11 of Jury Selection: Jurors #124 thru #126 – Dismissed on 3/8. Juror #127 – Dismissed by Judge for cause on State’s request, male. Judge has given the defense a strike back for juror #121 yesterday. That juror now officially dismissed for cause. New strike count: State: 8/10 & Defense: 14/18. Juror #127 - Dismissed on 3/8. Juror #128 – Dismissed by Judge for cause, female. Juror #129 – Dismissed on 3/8. Juror #130 – Dismissed by Judge for cause, male. Juror #131 – Selected, male. Judge announces that the 15th juror will be excused Monday if all 14, after being polled, are still eligible to serve. Recess until Monday, March 29, 9am CT/10am ET for opening statements.
3/23/21 Update: The fourth jury candidate interviewed Tuesday was the 15th & final juror chosen. But the juror, a recently married white male accountant in his 20s, will be dropped from the panel if the first 14 show up for duty at the heavily guarded downtown Minneapolis courthouse. Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill, who is presiding, said he will keep 14 jurors, including two alternates, for the trial expected to last a month. At the conclusion of the trial, the two alternates will be dismissed & a dozen jurors will deliberate to see whether they can reach unanimous agreement on the three criminal counts Chauvin faces.
*Charged (7/22/20) with 6 counts of aiding & abetting taxes-false or fraudulent returns-filed with commissioner & 3 counts aiding & abetting taxes-failure to file return, report, document. – Omnibus hearing on 6/30/21.

Last edited:
I always used to watch Court TV for live trials, but the adverts drive me scatty! So I'll be sticking with the Law & Crime Network on YouTube (albeit with the comments hidden, because trolls exist). Because of time zone differences they're the easiest channel for me to watch as I can catch up on "overnight" content the following morning.

Family coming in..... family(and through attys) giving statement

Washington Post already streaming in front of courthouse YouTube, 1.7K watching now

The Telegraph YouTube now live streaming outside of the courthouse at

Sky News YouTube, nothing on right now except for placemark

Law & Crime Trial Network (has comment stream for viewers real time, already has begun the comments in feed) – You have to have an account, has rolling comments from viewers which has already begun. https://lawandcrime.com/stream/

https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials...e-of-murder-trial-over-death-of-george-floyd/ has cable, OTT Streaming, Direct to Consumer, OTT Stream (International) , Audio. (Too numerous to link all!!!!)

Court TV is available as a free over-the-air channel, and can also be watched on streaming devices from Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Android TV, and Vizio smart TVs. Court TV is also available on streaming services from YouTube TV, Pluto TV, FreeCast, XUMO, Select TV, KlowdTV, NKT.tv, Redbox, and Local Now. Additionally, the trial will also be available on CourtTV.com and on Court TV's iOS and Android apps.

The Chauvin trial will also be aired on major TV news channels, including HLN, the Fox News Channel, CNN, CBS, and NBC. However, some news channels may only be airing the trial's highlights with additional reporting.

To watch the trial in its entirety, live-streaming may be the better option. The trial will also be live-streamed by media outlets including CNN, Fox News Digital, CBSN Minnesota, Star Tribune, ABC News Live, on their respective websites.

Court TV has named the trial the "Minnesota V. Derek Chauvin Trial" and the "MN V Chauvin: The Death of George Floyd Murder Trial" as activists urge against using the phrase "The George Floyd trial."

Last edited:
Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
4m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Today is Day 1 of the trial against the former Minneapolis police officer charged in the death of #GeorgeFloyd. Court will start around 9 am CT/10 am ET. Watch Live on @LawCrimeNetwork

2m
Before court begins this morning, family members of #GeorgeFloyd. @AttorneyCrump
and others will hold a press conference outside the courthouse. Watch Live on @LawCrimeNetwork

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Statement being given... live stream on FB which allows for pausing etc and is the first one to feed (only one family member allowed into trial due to COVID) Cousins, brothers, sister, nephew, and daughter here today

ATTy Ben Crump and other attys giving statements "This is a trial for Derrick Chauvin and not George Floyd"

At the end of presser, they will take a knee at 8:46 ET for those minutes for silence to mirror those of Chauvin on his neck prior to start of the trial.

Of note, at this time, 100% are wearing face masks in crowd except for those speaking. Kudos.

family.JPG

ETA: For those coming in late, you can do a 1.5 times playback speed to "catch up" on the feed by clicking on setting if you want to rewind and get up to speed without missing anything..or you have to pause YouTube feed to take a quick break during the day.... another reason I love YouTube to watch and follow.

Last edited:
So... what is the delay... ??

I went to the Youtube you just posted @dixiegirl1035 - and it's just the family speaking - don't "see" any opening statements - what am I missing?

Ben Crump really firing up the crowd "this trial is a referendum" on where are are in terms of race in this country...all the black leaders are in town. I live in Minneapolis and am very concerned what is going to happen without the 2nd degree verdict (which I doubt). He is also bring up the civil settlement including the amount. Not the sight that they want for these jurors as they enter the building. I sure do not envy their position and yet some are "excited" to be there.

Last edited:
This press conference is cringe!! Why do all these attorneys need to speak? For publicity? It just all seems so opportunistic and unnecessary. A simple well crafted statement or one rep for the family speaking would’ve sufficed. Judge Cahill can’t be too happy with them bringing up the settlement in this manner right before opening statements! Geez!

So... what is the delay... ??

I went to the Youtube you just posted @dixiegirl1035 - and it's just the family speaking - don't "see" any opening statements - what am I missing?

This is an hour PRIOR to opening statements... you are one hour off. It's 9:29 eastern right now. They are doing prior to entering the courthouse/prior to start of trial at 10:00 ET. Opening is perhaps forecasted in one hour. They are doing outside the courthouse prior to the start.

HTH

Last edited:
Brothers now speaking.

This is an hour PRIOR to opening statements... you are one hour off. It's 9:29 eastern right now. They are doing prior to entering the courthouse/prior to start of trial at 10:00 ET. Opening is perhaps forecasted in one hour. They are doing outside the courthouse prior to the start.

HTH
This position outside the court building is strategic and designed mostly for the jurors entering the building. Crump is a real opportunist

This press conference is cringe!! Why do all these attorneys need to speak? For publicity? It just all seems so opportunistic and unnecessary. A simple well crafted statement or one rep for the family speaking would’ve sufficed. Judge Cahill can’t be too happy with them bringing up the settlement in this manner right before opening statements! Geez!

MOO This is not for the jurors. Jurors should never hear/read transcripts of this. There are family members and their representatives etc. speaking out that want to be, and NEED to be heard. MOO

This position outside the court building is strategic and designed mostly for the jurors entering the building. Crump is a real opportunist

I think that the fences etc speak loudly enough to jurors, and the judge/defense/prosecution addressed such.

Having a crowd, that they, the jury, cannot hear the words... it's expected if I was a juror.

MOO

Last edited:
The brother from NY who spoke last was good. (Edited to add: And no one can deny Sharpton’s oratory skills!)

Listen, I’m not saying they don’t have a right to be heard. Nobody has denied them that since George’s death. The whole world rallied for them, in fact. But this press conference is pure theatre organized by Crump and Sharpton.

Last edited:
8:46 seconds now for them all to take a knee and prayer.. was planned to be for silence.

The brother from NY who spoke last was good. (Edited to add: And no one can deny Sharpton’s oratory skills!)

Listen, I’m not saying they don’t have a right to be heard. Nobody has denied them that since George’s death. The whole world rallied for them, in fact. But this press conference is pure theatre organized by Crump and Sharpton.

I saw no lies in this. Theater for the world to see, if you want that call it out as such to the world... absolutely!

This is how the first amendment works (vs. Jan .....well.. not going there).

Sharpton and Crump are representing very many opinions in a calm and non violent way.

MOO

@SouthAussie and others over ponds... are your channels covering as this initially caused worldwide protests?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member