MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #5 - Chauvin Trial Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know where the two passengers in GF's car went to? I would've expected to see them among the bystanders seen in the 'angry mob' videos.
That's a great question. I'm still trying to find out of that $20.00 bill was counterfeit.
It would have been nice if the trial started out with the cashier testifying before the 911 call.

I may be wrong but according to the ME, and the amount of drugs in his system, I'm not so sure that would qualify as a "simple drug overdose".

I read these the other day, but I'm too tired to read again... but here are two articles from my history that I found as I went down that rabbit hole the other day. I'm sure we will be hearing lots of info (two sides?) from all the docs on the witness list!

Reliability of Postmortem Fentanyl Concentrations in Determining the Cause of Death
Reliability of Postmortem Fentanyl Concentrations in Determining the Cause of Death

Fentanyl: What Is a Lethal Dosage? - Oxford Treatment Center
Fentanyl: What Is a Lethal Dosage?

That's a great question. I'm still trying to find out of that $20.00 bill was counterfeit.
It would have been nice if the trial started out with the cashier testifying before the 911 call.
Why does this matter at all? If it was counterfeit or not is completely irrelevant to DC’s actions that day. DC certainly didn’t know if it was actually counterfeit at the time. GF could’ve been running a multi-billion dollar counterfeit operation. That shouldn’t impact how his arrest was handled.

The medical findings at the heart of Derek Chauvin's defense strategy

March 30, 2021, 5:30 AM EDT

The Hennepin County medical examiner who performed the autopsy, Dr. Andrew Baker, ruled that the cause of death was "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression." "Cardiopulmonary arrest," in layman's terms, means "the heart stopped. The pressure being applied to Floyd's neck and the pressure being applied to his torso, in combination, impeded his oxygenated blood flow, which resulted in his heart stopping....Regarding the torso, if pressure is being applied, it can make it difficult to draw enough oxygen into the lungs to allow for the oxygenation of the blood in the first instance. Therefore, the combination of these applications of force and restraint caused Floyd's heart to stop....

Chauvin's lead defense attorney, Eric Nelson, said Floyd displayed "none of the telltale signs of asphyxiation." There was "no evidence that Mr. Floyd's airflow was restricted," he claimed.

What George Floyd's autopsy results reveal?

The office also listed heart disease and hypertension under Floyd's “other significant conditions.” It also stated that the father-of-one had fentanyl and methamphetamine in his system, as well as being positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes coronavirus. However, those factors were not listed under cause of death.

If the defense attorney was referring to the trachea it doesn't matter if his airflow wasn't restricted. When you have a weight on your torso and on your neck every time you exhale the pressure makes it impossible for the lungs to expand again. That's how Jesus died on the cross. He was asphyxiated. An ingenious way to kill someone slowly: the arms high over the head and the body's own gravitational pull limiting lung expansion. Every exhale deflates the lungs and eventually the person cannot intake a breath. I am amazed that LE learn this method to restrain an individual yet are ignorant of the physiology involved in the process.

I kept telling myself that I wasn't going to start posting about this trial... but here I am! I have been watching, but of course had to turn it off earlier and just watched the cross exam. Wow is all I can say. I've watched lots of trials and can say I've never watched a judge direct a witness like that and the witness get mouthy with the judge!!! What the heck!

I have a question for those of you that have been obviously been keeping up to date and following this more than I have... I have watched the videos, some repeatedly, and I assumed the stream of liquid on the ground was also urine, but Nelson asked the witness today about it, and I got the impression that it was maybe not urine? Anyone have clue if it was something else?

It's the AC condensation from the car. MOO. It's there in the beginning MOO

It sounds like it wasn’t urine. Nelson is basically trying to say she jumped to conclusions and didn’t have all the info. He’s trying to discredit her testimony or put a ding on it. It wasn’t urine, he didn’t have his hands in his pocket, you thought 4 officers were kneeling on him when it was 3, you didn’t know the medics had already been called, you didn’t know the other officers had already checked his pulse cause you couldn’t hear/see them.....but you called the officer a b****, right?

The thing is Nelson is not even that confrontational in his questioning. I’ve seen much worse. He’s not that bad. But most defense attorneys try to put the witness on the defensive bc it makes the witness come off poorly. This is where a good prep would’ve been handy for Ms. Nelson. But it sounds like she didn’t even want to make time to read the transcript of her previous statements. Smh.

Edited to add: Also GF had pants on so if he had urinated it would’ve been absorbed by his pants not flow out like that in such a long line I don’t think?

His pants were down below his bottom (blue pants). His undershorts with pockets are black. His blue pants were pulled down below his bottom when he was pulled/dragged out of the car and placed on the ground. MOO from watching 2 hours of video this am.

Why does this matter at all? If it was counterfeit or not is completely irrelevant to DC’s actions that day. DC certainly didn’t know if it was actually counterfeit at the time. GF could’ve been running a multi-billion dollar counterfeit operation. That shouldn’t impact how his arrest was handled.
Do you perhaps think maybe he wouldn't have been arrested if the bill was real?

Does anyone know where the two passengers in GF's car went to? I would've expected to see them among the bystanders seen in the 'angry mob' videos.

They stood by the car around the corner... where they were told to stay. They had NOOOOO idea that GF was dead as the others did. The officer (think it was Lane) told his friends to put GF's phone in his car as "he will need it when he picks up his car" :eek: Then, MMA guy walks up and tells the gal what happened and she is like WTF!!!!

Yes, I watched the video posted on page one of this thread, post #6. The video is from a body cam worn by one of the two first arriving officers. He was restraining Mr Floyd's leg area later during the footage. The two passengers stayed where they were told...against the wall, near where Floyd's car was parked. The camera footage has the cop going back to check on them, after the ambulance left. He also goes back into Cup Foods to interview the manager

ETA: Thanks dixiegirl for the video!

When the defense gets it's turn perhaps the cashier will be called first to help to answer that question and perhaps more. JMO

From @cathyrusson on Twitter

#DerekChauvinTrial - More from the pool reporter on jury reaction to fiery cross between Nelson and Hansen:
"some jurors seemed uncomfortable with the level of hostility that developed during cross"
@LawCrimeNetwork

In the almost 9 minute video, we do not see the cops threatened. Yes, there were people saying nasty things---what would anyone have them do as they slowly killed him and didn't let up on his neck? Regardless of what was on the way, the cops have training and are trained to provide care to unconscious people. In any other scene, they would be expected to provide care rather than look at their watches and not help. There were four cops on this scene. Any two of them could have created a perimeter, moved the people back while the others provided care. They could have called for backup but did not. But, the most important thing here is that the crowd gathered as they kept a knee on his neck and he lost consciousness. If they rendered aid, I don't believe the crowd would have gotten more upset.

The suggestion that it was an unruly crowd is not born out by the videos of the scene AND it is a familiar refrain when it comes to people of color gathered at situations.
I would not feel comfortable rendering aid if i was in that position either. I am not an officer so i have no idea what they did or didnt do was wrong because idk. I do think it is safe to assume that in any situation you keep your eyes on the threat, which was the growing crowd imo

And that will be the looonnnnnng part of the trial. Was it long hauler COVID? (he was positive). Was it the THC (3 different species) on top of the fentanyl at 11 ng/ml mixed coctail with methamphetamine at 19 ng/ml?from hoofing? What caused his lungs to be twice the expected weight? etc. etc. etc.

Nothwithstanding, they did not put him in a recovery position or anything once they knew that he didn't have a pulse. I think we can all agree to that at this time.
I think he said he had been "hooping," but yes, we don't know how often he used drugs, what kind of tolerance he had, or the amount he consumed that day. Of course it's not healthy to do drugs when you have a heart condition but apparently he was active and playing basketball right up until the time of his death.

Yet he died on that day, when police restrained him and kneeled on his neck until he stopped breathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member