MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #6 - Chauvin Trial Day 3

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Tippy Lynn, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boodles

Boodles Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting the DC quote. I had to walk away. This is unbearable. My heart aches for these witnesses. I became physically ill. I can’t even begin to imagine how this has affected their lives.

Wild Rose, misgrn, kimpage and 15 others like this.

2. UKslueth2018

UKslueth2018 Well-Known Member

How prophetic that statement turned out to be! I couldn’t help but wonder if he had seen suspect interact with people before as it’s a loaded statement! Didn’t it also include something about people in the neighbourhood getting home safely too?

Broke me when he started crying. These poor people will never be the same. I feel so sorry for the family having to watch these videos over and over xx

Wild Rose, misgrn, kimpage and 12 others like this.
  3. ElizaKate

ElizaKate Well-Known Member

The defence could well bring up his "calm and cool" demeanour in that video to assert that his use of force at the time was not excessive in his belief - that it was police protocol for the situation they were in. That in the defendant's belief GF's dwindling health was due to drugs not his own actions.

I'm trying to remain impartial during this trial until all evidence is heard.

4. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Charles McMillian, who is 61, says that he didn't see any violence from Mr Floyd towards officers.

He adds "I was trying to get him to go" with officers as Mr McMillian said that's how interactions with police go.

McMillian says he knew Derek Chauvin from the officer being in the community.

McMillian said that he stopped to see what was going on with George Floyd because he "was nosey".

Police bodycam footage is currently being played to the court which depicts Mr Floyd saying "I can't breathe" while he is being put in a police car.

Mr Floyd says he doesn't want to get in the car because he is claustrophobic.

McMillian says he asked the police to let Mr Floyd up - but the police told him that if Mr Floyd could talk then he could breathe.

This is understood to be the last sympathetic interaction George Floyd would have had with someone who was trying to help him.

George Floyd killing: Live updates of Derek Chauvin trial with shop worker who served victim describing what happened before police arrived

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    misgrn, kimpage, GarAndTeed and 6 others like this.
  5. Blondiexoxo

Blondiexoxo Studying Forensic Psychology BSc hons

My heart. This is one of the most hard hitting trials I’ve ever watched. I consider myself thick skinned, but I’m sat here with tears flowing down my face. I am so angry there just aren’t any words. George may you be resting in peace with your ‘Mama’ justice is coming.

Wild Rose, misgrn, kimpage and 12 others like this.
  6. ReadySet

ReadySet Well-Known Member

Possible.
    Or,to counter that the crowd was distracting him, making him nervous, he was acting in response to "violent mob?"
    I.E., how was he so calm and cool if he was supposedly so bothered by the crowd?

Wild Rose, misgrn, kimpage and 10 others like this.
  7. thx4_medic_Babby

thx4_medic_Babby Well-Known Member

Even the EMT (who testified yesterday) was shouting obscene language at the officer/s. This is before she noted “she didn’t know” when questioned why she didn’t call emergency technicians instead of helping cause a scene. Granted, Fire/Medics were en route before she came upon the scene.

8. UKslueth2018

I feel exactly the same!! Xx

Wild Rose, Niner, kimpage and 4 others like this.
  9. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Wild Rose, misgrn, CrimeAway and 2 others like this.
  10. Weki

Weki Well-Known Member

Another prophetic comment by bystanders is Williams telling Chauvin, George Floyd was gonna haunt him!

Wild Rose, misgrn, GarAndTeed and 7 others like this.
  11. Katerz

Katerz Verified Insider/Robert Wiggins

I had to step out for a few moments. Who is the current witness on the stand?

Wild Rose and oceanblueeyes like this.
  12. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Oh, wow, I can't believe I missed that. Is that on the video the firefighter took?

13. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

True, but I think Mr. McMillian is also still very emotional about losing his own mother a month after George died.

Jmho

14. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

@ChrisJansing

One of the pool reporters in the Chauvin courtroom says some jurors stopped watching the graphic video of George Floyd struggling with police. Earlier in the day, one juror had a stress reaction to what they were seeing and hearing.

Wild Rose, misgrn, kimpage and 9 others like this.
  15. UKslueth2018

Maybe. It was covered on defence questioning I believe as he was asked about telling officer Thao to kill himself.. he replied that he thought the officer would shoot himself in head after two years or words to that effect

16. Weki

Weki Well-Known Member

It’s right at the tail end of the video played when McMillan testified. The last video as Chauvin is walking to the car to encounter McMillan.

17. UKslueth2018

So was that when the juror got ill mid morning? I missed the first hour or so? Xx

18. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

I wonder if jury members not viewing evidence will cause problems at a later date? Same with the juror having a stress reaction.

Wild Rose, misgrn, Breathe and 5 others like this.
  19. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

I honestly don't understand the claustrophobic part. He was just inside a car before this all happened.

How would he be able to go anywhere in any vehicle if he suffered from claustrophobia?

Jmho

NoSI, jennieohhh, bluebird69 and 5 others like this.
  20. ElizaKate

ElizaKate Well-Known Member

In the one hour long body cam footage video. Before the ambulance left the scene an officer was asking other officers "is this yours?" in reference to what appeared to be a small black item. Was this a bodycam? IIRC it was Chauvin that eventually took the item as his?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.