MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #6 - Chauvin Trial Day 3

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Tippy Lynn, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Well-Known Member

I'm really not as naive as this is going to sound; but I nearly can't believe my own eyes that this happened from a call to 911 about a counterfeit twenty dollar bill; and LE actually showed up.

As a former restaurant owner in the mid size city where I currently live, I can guarantee you 100% that if I called 911 over a counterfeit twenty dollar bill, not only would LE definitely not show up, but they would give me hell for tying up the 911 line.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2021
    Tink60, Rosalinda, Wild Rose and 23 others like this.

2. Weki

Weki Well-Known Member

I predict the use of force testimony by defense experts will be hard to listen to. I’ve listened to that type of testimony before and it is just hard after you see the videos of the death.

3. Leilei

Leilei Blue Star Mom Times Two

I'm sitting on my hands because typing what I'm saying out loud would get me booted with a quickness.

4. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

Question I’m curious about, and been meaning to ask for a while:

Do we know how much of all these various angles of footage were released/leaked before now? In other words, what all cell and bodycam videos were made public before this point? I was knee deep in the coronavirus threads when all this went down last year, so followed from a distance.

Obviously some video was made public, that the world saw and protested against - who’s video was that?

I’m just wondering if most of this is all footage people are seeing for the first time, tia.

Wild Rose, Lilibet, Breathe and 4 others like this.
  5. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly. Floyd was talking just how I would expect from a person having difficulty breathing. He could only get out two or three quick words at a time. He was also gasping for breath towards the end.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Wild Rose, misgrn, Lilibet and 7 others like this.
  6. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Where sunbeams shine

George and another woman at the scene both claim that George had been shot before.

And we know that Chauvin himself has been involved in previous shootings, and a man was killed in one of those shootings.

Floyd frantically responded, “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry. God dang man. Man, I got shot. I got shot the same way, Mr. Officer, before.”
    That’s when Lane turned to the woman in Floyd’s car and foolishly asked why’s he “being all weird like that?” after he was just told why. “Because he’s been shot before,” the woman quipped.
    George Floyd Reportedly Revealed He Was Previously Shot During Fatal Arrest

A white Minneapolis police officer who knelt on George Floyd's neck opened fire on two people during his 19-year career and had nearly 20 complaints and two letters of reprimand filed against him.
    In 2006, Chauvin was among a group of six officers who opened fire on a stabbing suspect after a chase that ended when the suspect pointed a sawed-off shotgun at them. The suspect, Wayne Reyes, was hit multiple times and died. A grand jury decided the use of force was justified.

Two years later, Chauvin shot Ira Latrell Toles as he was responding to a domestic dispute.
    Derek Chauvin history: Officer accused in George Floyd's death opened fire on 2 people, had 17 complaints

US cop accused of killing black man involved in 3 shootings, 17 complaints

Wild Rose, misgrn, Lilibet and 14 others like this.
  7. Chelly

Chelly Well-Known Member

Goodnight WS Friends.
    See you tomorrow.

SeattleStew, misgrn, Niner and 11 others like this.
  8. Tippy Lynn

Tippy Lynn Well-Known Member

I think I've seen all the videos prior to the trial.

The video that Darnella F. took went viral. DF testified yesterday.

Wild Rose, misgrn, Lilibet and 2 others like this.
  9. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

Exactly. And what kind of employer would send their employees out to follow and confront multiple times? What was that all about?

10. SouthAussie

I was even wondering if the bill was counterfeit, when all is said and done. It 'looked blue-ish'. I have seen bills look blue-ish after being left in the pocket of blue jeans that have just been washed. I've also seen bills look pinkish when washed with bright pink pants, by mistake.

11. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

How much of Chauvin's previous record is going to be allowed in this trial? All of it? Some of it? None?

Wild Rose, misgrn, Breathe and 5 others like this.
  12. SouthAussie

If they allow any of George's record, I hope that they allow Chauvin's record. Fair is fair.
    (It sounds as if they will allow George's 2019 arrest.)

Wild Rose, misgrn, Lilibet and 10 others like this.
  13. stargazer17

stargazer17 Well-Known Member

He pulled his gun because GF wouldn’t put his hands on the steering wheel when told to and he couldn’t tell if he was reaching for a gun.

14. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

I know that in criminal trials a defendants past acts are not always allowed to be used against them. JMO

Wild Rose and Breathe like this.
  15. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

The video the firefighter shot was the one that went viral. That's what caused the immediate outrage from millions of people. Some of Lane's body cam footage had been released before, when he approached Floyd with his gun drawn. I think part of the struggle in the back seat was released back then, too, at least the part that shows the car shaking and Chauvin's legs sticking out. All the rest I only saw recently, but I'm not sure when it was released.

Lilibet, kimpage, Breathe and 3 others like this.
  16. Tippy Lynn

Tippy Lynn Well-Known Member

Wild Rose, misgrn, Lilibet and 9 others like this.
  17. margarita25

Question, again thanks in advance as there is a lot I’ve missed:

Do we know what GF was attempting to purchase at the store? It doesn’t matter, but just wondering.

Wild Rose and MsBetsy like this.
  18. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

19. margarita25

[​IMG]
    Minneapolis Officer Derek Chauvin is seen struggling to force George Floyd into the back seat of a police SUV in newly released body camera video recorded by Officer Tou Thao.

Hennepin County/MPR/YouTube/Screenshot by NPR

*article from August 14, 2020

20. Algo214

Algo214 Well-Known Member

All of 3 seconds after they issued the order, then the gun being drawn at his face surely enough send him into panic and the rest...we saw the rest, unfortunately we have seen what came next :(:mad:

Wild Rose, Lilibet, kimpage and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.