MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #6 - Chauvin Trial Day 3

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Tippy Lynn, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbywoo

Bobbywoo Well-Known Member

That poor kid says he feels guilty for calling the cops. It's heartbreaking.

Wild Rose, misgrn, Lilibet and 15 others like this.

2. stargazer17

stargazer17 Well-Known Member

Yes he said he felt guilt, the poor thing, So sad him thinking this was his fault.

Wild Rose, misgrn, Lilibet and 8 others like this.
  3. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

(I figured.....just getting started on his testimony)

4. Boodles

Boodles Well-Known Member

I do understand that. Generally, I feel for police who walk up to someone in a car. Who knows whether they’ll get blown away? But once GF put his hands on his head, etc., they should have begun to de-escalate the situation, whether or not they believed George’s statement, thus his fear about having been shot before. He was begging, “don’t shoot me, don’t shoot me, please don’t shoot me.”

I guess that’s a black man’s fear when dealing with LE.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  5. Boodles

Boodles Well-Known Member

6. In vino veritas

In vino veritas Well-Known Member

With all of us knowing the end result of this arrest, it is very difficult to separate emotion from fact. I would truly hate being a juror in such a high profile case.

Having read many of the comments posted, it is easy to see which are based on emotional interpretation of events versus those which are more analytical.

The prosecution, IMO, was smart to have all this emotional witness testimony at the onset of the trial.
    That said, I do hope the jurors are able to analyze all the information presented to them without personal sentiment interfering in their judgments.

Having viewed the body cam videos, I can honestly say that up until the point that DC kept his knee on GFs neck beyond a reasonable timeframe, the police appear to have behaved in accordance with procedure, IMO

7. Gibbo214

Gibbo214 Former Member

We will have to agree to disagree, then.

8. Tippy Lynn

Tippy Lynn Well-Known Member

This is a such a tough case. :(

I can see things on both sides that went completely sideways.

With that being said, I do think LE failed at rendering aid to GF and they need to be held accountable for not providing it to GF.

NoSI, Wild Rose, misgrn and 12 others like this.
  9. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

Well.....I could see how it could get dicey....the defense could ask him all kinds of other questions, in an attempt to shed negative light on him and the victim, perhaps things related to the bill and the drugs found.

10. tara83

tara83 Well-Known Member

I can't get over some of the comments made to the crowd.It's like is wasn't even about George anymore but showing the crowd who was boss even when another cop expressed concern for him.

Wild Rose, misgrn, Lilibet and 15 others like this.
  11. Bobbywoo

Bobbywoo Well-Known Member

Maybe drugs too?

12. Tippy Lynn

It's so bad. :mad:

13. CrimeAway

CrimeAway Well-Known Member

This is very interesting to me. Mr Floyd's toxicology results showed evidence of THC, fentanyl & methamphetamine. The taking of opiods and stimulants at the same time is often referred to as "speedballing", and it can be more dangerous than taking one of the substances alone.

Discriminative stimulus effects of a cocaine/heroin "speedball" combination in rhesus monkeys - PubMed

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...FjAFegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0AmEW0EHG-GYgInMSOsWai

As I watched the bodycam videos today, I personally saw what I perceive to be Mr Floyd becoming more and more anxious, agitated (rather than agressive), and verging on displaying paranoia. His speaking becomes very rapid as the officers walk him across the street and attempt to get him into the car. His breathing seems rapid and shallow.

His demeanor seems very different to that shown from the store surveillance video earlier.

IMO, this could fit with someone who was under the slowing effects of an opiod in the store because:
    1) he was passive initially in his Mercedes (when the store clerks came out),
    2) didn't drive off ( IMO abnormal fight/flight response - no, 'oh **** they're on to me, let me get out of here' type reaction.

Then when the cops arrive at his vehicle, stress kicks in, the effects of the stimulant take over, there is a heightened adrenaline and dopamine response (IMO).

I did not follow the details of this case very closely at the time, but I am now. My opinions are still changing somewhat, but I like to explore all the evidence regardless of my initial thoughts and feelings.
    I'm horrified at the actions of Derek Chauvin, but I think that that there are a lot of issues to explore.
    I wish the LEOs had just let Mr Floyd sit/stand outside, called EMS and have him checked out. :(

(Edited to re-format).

NoSI, Wild Rose, misgrn and 14 others like this.
  14. Tippy Lynn

15. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember that he tapped on the window with his flashlight. I watched the video again and saw that he waited about four seconds before pointing the gun at him. I think Floyd became even more agitated when he saw the gun. He already seemed to be flustered and as the employee said, was acting very strange.

16. In vino veritas

In vino veritas Well-Known Member

And that’s perfectly fine!!

Despite what I wrote earlier, I am very conflicted about this case. When I first saw the viral video I had the same reaction as most of the world: WTH am I seeing!!

Now, I’m just not so sure it was murder. Negligence.... absolutely. Manslaughter... likely. I guess none of us will really know until ALL the evidence is put forth.

NoSI, misgrn, Ruthbullock and 11 others like this.
  17. Tippy Lynn

I agree. I felt the same when this first happened, but after learning more about the case I've come to realize there's more to it than what was initially shown to the general public. I blame the media for that.

NoSI, MsBetsy, Factoria and 7 others like this.
  18. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

It was very emotional. I am interested in what the defense will present.

Wild Rose, Lilibet, MsBetsy and 6 others like this.
  19. Tippy Lynn

20. tara83

tara83 Well-Known Member

It's totally different for me.I was more open at first but the more I see the more I think second degree murder is deserved.I've always felt bad for law enforcement and felt they get blamed unfairly at times but in this case seeing the tapes makes me more sure of his guilt.And for what it's worth my brother is a police officer who usually sides with police but in this case told me he thought this guy was acting like a bully who wanted to prove he was right instead of doing the humane thing. JMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.