MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #6 - Chauvin Trial Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martin says when he went back inside after first trip to the vehicle, he told his manager he would just take care of the $20. But says his manager sent him back out that second time.

We are seeing video of the second approach to the vehicle, Martin is with two new coworkers.

https://twitter.com/callangraynews/status/1377288607032049664?s=21

Having these kids confront a grown man like this is so inappropriate. On so many levels!! Wow!

Edited to add: Two grown men. Twice! In their car. They could’ve had a weapon. They could be psychos!

Yes, outrageous to expect the young teen store clerk/s to go outside the store not once but twice to confront any customer who pays with a phony bill...using the teen as a security guard as well as clerk/cashier!

Martin: "The person in the passenger seat was doing most of the talking, we were telling him just come inside, we just want to talk to George and the person in the passenger seat was saying how that's not me."

The other person in the white shirt is related to the Cup Foods manager. At one point you see him bend down and pick something up. Martin says it was a fake bill that was torn in half that the passenger tossed out.

Martin & his coworker at this point leave the vehicle. Martin is now describing how George Floyd was reacting during the conversation with the passenger.

Frank asks if Floyd was awake. Martin says yes.

Martin says at this point his manager directed another coworker to call the police.

Martin says he didn't interact with the police and continued working. Eventually he noticed a commotion outside of Cup Foods.

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1377288725923819521?s=21

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
8m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Now showing CCTV footage from restaurant across the street. @LawCrimeNetwork

Outside.jpg

Martin and co-worker go outside and walk up to #GeorgeFloyd's car. There were 3 people in the car. (Maurice Hall, Shawanda Hill,. Floyd)

By car.jpg

Martin went back inside the store and told his manager that he would just take care of the money himself. His manager told him to go back out a second time.

Cathy Russon Retweeted
Jason DeRusha
@DeRushaJ
·
3m
Hard not to feel for Christopher Martin, sent twice by his Cup Foods manager out to the street to try to get #GeorgeFloyd to come back to the store. Martin says the second time he told his boss he’d just cover the $20, but the manager sent him out again

Martin and other employee went back inside the store. He said Floyd wouldn't come inside.

Martin said the manager instructed another employee to call the police.

Martin said police arrived and spoke to his manager. He was not involved in that conversation.

Martin went back to work. Soon he noticed a commotion outside. The store was then empty so he went outside to see what was happening.

When Martin went outside he saw people yelling/screaming, "I saw Derek with his knee...." Frank asked if he knew Chauvin at the time, he said know, he has since learned Chauvin's name.

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Martin: I saw people yelling and screaming. I saw Derek [Chauvin] with his knee on George's neck on...the ground.

Martin says he called his mother and told her not to come outside and then started recording. He deleted the recording later that night because he didn't want to show anyone or be questioned about it.

Martin: I was recording until one of my co workers was pushed by an officer...He was yelling at the officer and kind of how the other people in the crowd were doing, and asking them to check his pulse.

Martin (19 y/o) says the coworker is younger than he is.

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1377290520037367810?s=21

This witness seems incredibly calm. I trust every word he says to be truthful. I'm quite curious as to why the State called him as a witness as opposed to the Defense. The in-store surveillance video depicts GF in a poor light, IMO. Maybe they're just trying to get ahead of a stumbling block? Any legal experts available to share their opinion of this strategy?

You're right... My apologies! Somehow my brain turned 'owner' into 'manager'. Must need more coffee!
That's okay! I do agree the manager's actions were inappropriate. That employees should have to pay for a fake bill is ridiculous.

The owner said he would not have even called 911. He said in his store they are supposed to "notify" the owner.

Common procedure is usually to try to "delay" the passer if possible, take note of their appearance and anyone they are with, take down their license plate number, and then call the local police department or the US Secret Service to report it.

A cashier has no way to know if the person who passed the bill is even aware that it's fake.

Yes, it's becoming very clear just how many people were affected by what they saw. I remember the owner saying he wished he had been there because he would have handled things differently.

But, he WAS there! He was the one who instructed the clerk(s) to chase down GF and confront him about the counterfeit bill. Not that it matters for the purposes of this trial, but I don't think that was appropriate. JMO

Exactly!!

IIRC, he said that the manager was there, and the manager told him to do such, not the OWNER. MOO

Watching the trial from here in the UK.

Angry mob?

Watching these videos now of the crowd on that day, they should be commended for the restraint they showed, there's no way the defense can paint them to be an angry mob.

It's plain to see they were upstanding citizens that tried their best that day to help a dying man. Heartbreaking to think some of them may carry guilt even though they were not responsible for this MURDER.

MOO

I cannot believe that an owner of a store would make an employee responsible for taking a counterfeit bill- and then taking the amount of the counterfeit bill out of their pay check!!!! that puts so much responsibility on the employee. In this particular situation. tThis kid could have gotten shot and killed when he confronted GF and the passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong