MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #7 - Chauvin Trial Day 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Nelson knows he has an uphill battle to climb. I don't envy him at all. He knows I'm sure he's greatly disliked just because he represents this defendant.

If he lives there I'm sure at times he's worried about his own safety, and his family.

It's really sad because without defense attorneys the wheels of justice wouldn't ever turn.

Like I posted previously Nelson is one of the most unassuming defense attorneys I've seen. Many are ruthless, rude, nasty Bulldogs.

He has to be courageous, and an inwardly strong man to defend the most hated defendant there in the city, and everywhere else.

With emotions so high he knows he can become a target himself at any time.

I wonder if defense attorney Nelson has been provided security or perhaps the police union has provided him with a security detail?

I did see on SM where he's received death threats.

Jmho
I think having safety concerns and receiving death threats is all part of being both a prosecutor or a defense attorney, but you're right, the emotions are a lot higher in this case for a lot lore people due to the publicity.
I think with the sensitivity of this case, Nelson is a good attorney. The jury is sizing up both sides, and like it or not, their actions are part of the deciding factor for the jury in regards to how they present their case, imo.
I think Nelson chipped away at the reasonable doubt when he mentioned Floyd's stomach hurting (another factor in the third degree assault charge) during the previous overdose when questioning the girlfriend. She said he complained his stomach was hurting then, and he complained his stomach was hurting when he was on the ground with Chauvin. Such a subtle point at the time, but something to add in his closing statement that may/will contribute to reasonable doubt. I also think Floyd's GF was trying to lean is his favor by saying she didn't know what she was doing when she gave her statement to the FBI. I can understand that part, but I don't think it helped her credibility.
His girlfriend being addressed as "Mama" imo took a lot of the sting out of the prosecution's presentation, and they know that. That's why they brought it upon re-direct.
I just read the entire thread here from today's testimony, and I find it interesting how more and more reasonable doubt was raised throughout the day with some. IMO, that's why it's important to stay open minded throughout the entire trial.

The paramedic who was in the back of the ambulance testified he could see GF was not responsive and that he did not appear to be breathing. He could visualize this from the back of the bus, but the 3 officers couldn’t recognize this as they were restraining him? Doesn’t pass the smell test. MOO

"To really be in the court and hear them speaking about the entire situation again and really seeing Chauvin from the court, it was sort of surreal and intense and emotional," Floyd's brother, Terrence Floyd, told ABC News Live.

"All of the witnesses, I only hear them, and I find that not only for our loved ones, the Floyd family, need to relive this, but they need to re do this, also," said Terrence Floyd, that had been present in the court. "I only need to send out my prayers to them also, since they're actually reliving it as we are too"

"They'd get any way possible for this particular police officer to never look poor. Nevertheless, the entire world watched what happened to him," she (sister) explained. "The medication they say they discovered in his system didn't kill him... [it] was that the strain that has been kneeled down into his throat. It is not surprising to me but one thing for certain... the planet [has] noticed the way my brother left this planet."

George Floyd's family relives his Departure during Derek Chauvin trial News

My partner is even watching with me, the man who can’t stand my true crime show addiction, is asking questions like ‘is he on our side?’ ‘What’s a sidebar?’ He’s counting down the hours until court is back in. I think I’m going to introduce him to the Jodi Arias trial in the meantime. This is one of those trials that’s going to be historical, like the OJ trial.

My partner is even watching with me, the man who can’t stand my true crime show addiction, is asking questions like ‘is he on our side?’ ‘What’s a sidebar?’ He’s counting down the hours until court is back in. I think I’m going to introduce him to the Jodi Arias trial in the meantime. This is one of those trials that’s going to be historical, like the OJ trial.

My husband started listening to the Jody Arias trial with me while we traveled in our RV that year. You learn a lot about how the Justice system is supposed to work...and usually does. And you learn a lot about how awful people can be and how hard it is for the jury to sit there day after day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288