GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #18 - Chauvin Closing & Deliberations #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the judge won't release the names of the jurors: I believe in the Damond case the judge did not release those names.
From local media:
"In July 2020, more than one year after a jury convicted former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor of murder in the death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, a judge ordered the release of the jurors' names, which had been under seal and available only to the parties. Minnesota v. Noor.Jul 10, 2020"

The judge does not have an option whether or not to do this...just about the timing.

#9 is the AWESOME juror.

No. 9: Multi/mixed race woman, 20s
She describes herself as easygoing, and a mediator among her friends.

In her questionnaire, she said she had somewhat negative impressions of Chauvin, but that she could keep an open mind and be fair. She also said she believes the Black Lives Matter movement, along with Blue Lives Matter, has turned into a disingenuous marketing scheme for corporations.

She has an uncle who’s a police officer in central Minnesota, but said that wouldn't affect her opinion.

When the judge told her she was chosen, she said, "Awesome."

MN - George Floyd, 46, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 **Media & Timeline - NO DISCUSSION

ok got it!

Juror No. 2 acknowledged being familiar with the media coverage surrounding Floyd's death. At one point, Chauvin's defense attorney, Eric Nelson, asked him if he believes Chauvin is responsible for Floyd dying.

"I don't think I can say one way or another. I mean, not here," the man replied. "You know, maybe at the time, I had my opinion. But with some distance, I don't think I can say."

As Nelson concluded questioning the man, he noted that some people respond to jury questionnaires in an attempt to elude jury duty — and some reply in an intentional effort to get on the jury.

"Would you describe yourself as either of those?" he asked the man.

"My answers were truthful. That's how I would describe my answers," Juror No. 2 replied.

George Floyd Case: Jury Selection Begins In Derek Chauvin's Trial

Army preparing to approve DC request for National Guard ahead of verdict in Derek Chauvin trial

“The DC National Guard said Monday that the US Army has approved the call-up of 250 members of the DC National Guard, as the nation's capital braces for potential protests and unrest ahead of a verdict in the Derek Chauvin trial in Minneapolis.

The Guardsmen will support the DC Metropolitan Police Department with traffic management and safety at downtown public transportation stations, as well establish a quick reaction force in the event of larger protests.
The DC National Guard is approved to continue supporting law enforcement until May 9, the guard said in its statement.”

D.C. National Guard troops activated amid possible protests over looming Chauvin trial verdict | WAVY.com

““At the request of Dr. Rodriguez, Director of the D.C. Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency, the District of Columbia National Guard is in a support role to the Metropolitan Police Department and we are prepared to help provide a safe environment for our fellow citizens to exercise their first amendment right,” said Brig. Gen. Aaron R. Dean II, The Adjutant General of the D.C. National Guard. “This is our home, and we are dedicated to the safety and security of our fellow citizens of the District and their right to safely and peacefully protest.””

Judge agrees to release names of jurors in trial of ex-Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor
Juror information is typically released soon after a verdict; judge worries about privacy.

Judge agrees to release names of jurors in trial of ex-Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor

I guess that it is "public information". But I would see this as a definite reason for people to avoid jury duty.

My friend actually got out of jury duty, he stated that he has an intermittent hearing loss and tinnitus. Excused. He is self employed, and literally couldn't afford to give up two or three weeks of work.

ok got it!

Juror No. 2 acknowledged being familiar with the media coverage surrounding Floyd's death. At one point, Chauvin's defense attorney, Eric Nelson, asked him if he believes Chauvin is responsible for Floyd dying.

"I don't think I can say one way or another. I mean, not here," the man replied. "You know, maybe at the time, I had my opinion. But with some distance, I don't think I can say."

As Nelson concluded questioning the man, he noted that some people respond to jury questionnaires in an attempt to elude jury duty — and some reply in an intentional effort to get on the jury.

"Would you describe yourself as either of those?" he asked the man.

"My answers were truthful. That's how I would describe my answers," Juror No. 2 replied.

George Floyd Case: Jury Selection Begins In Derek Chauvin's Trial

From above:

You know, maybe at the time, I had my opinion. But with some distance, I don't think I can say."

Idk, this sounds like a comment that would/could potentially prevent/dismiss someone from being on a jury panel? I guess not....Maybe I’m remembering things to be more strict than they actually are.

Last edited:
Army preparing to approve DC request for National Guard ahead of verdict in Derek Chauvin trial

“The DC National Guard said Monday that the US Army has approved the call-up of 250 members of the DC National Guard, as the nation's capital braces for potential protests and unrest ahead of a verdict in the Derek Chauvin trial in Minneapolis.

The Guardsmen will support the DC Metropolitan Police Department with traffic management and safety at downtown public transportation stations, as well establish a quick reaction force in the event of larger protests.
The DC National Guard is approved to continue supporting law enforcement until May 9, the guard said in its statement.”

]

I pray they won't be needed through May 9, 2021.....mercy!

As I am sitting here crying uncontrollably FOR GF and his family THANK YOU!!! JMO
Hugs to you @kimpage.
I cry for them all and tonight I hear all their names mentioned again at that livestream and I cry again...
It's like a bottomless system of raw grief..
I think everything else, protesting anger etc is a manifestation of that grief, no more.

The Minnesota Supreme Court determines compensation rates and, as of 2019, jurors receive $20 a day and $. 54 per mile for a round trip from their homes to the courthouse.

https://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/ss/ssjury.pdf

That's ridiculously low, IMO.

So what happens if a potential juror cannot afford to serve?

So, the expert witnesses get $200+/hr, and the jurors get $2-3/hr ($20/day). That says a lot. JMO.

Edited to fix math

Derek Chauvin Trial: Pritzker Sends National Guard Troops to Chicago Ahead of Verdict

“Gov. J.B. Pritzker is sending Illinois National Guard troops to Chicago at the city's request in anticipation of an expected verdict in the trial of Derek Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer charged in the death of George Floyd.

The state will send 125 members to the city beginning Tuesday to "carry out a limited mission to help manage street closures. The troops will not "interfere with peaceful protestors exercising their First Amendment rights," Pritzker said.”

Pritzker activates National Guard for Chicago ahead of Derek Chauvin verdict

“The Office of Emergency Management said in a statement that the Guard is being deployed "out of an abundance of caution … in the event that additional personnel are required to maintain public safety."

"Our greatest priority at all times is ensuring the safety and security of the public," Mayor Lori Lightfoot said in a statement. "While there is no actionable intelligence at this time, we want to be fully prepared out of an abundance of caution. Our city has a long history of peacefully expressing its First Amendment rights and I encourage residents to exercise their rights to free speech this coming week thoughtfully, respectfully and peacefully."”

From above:

You know, maybe at the time, I had my opinion. But with some distance, I don't think I can say."

Idk, this sounds like a comment that would/could potentially prevent/dismiss someone from being on a jury panel? I guess not....Maybe I’m remembering things to be more strict than they actually are.
I thought so too.

Hugs to you @kimpage.
I cry for them all and tonight I hear all their names mentioned again at that livestream and I cry again...
It's like a bottomless system of raw grief..
I think everything else, protesting anger etc is a manifestation of that grief, no more.

I know it is hard to see over and over. And the excuses make my heart hurt. Hugs to you @kittythehare

Lots of info in here... like juror questions will be answered on zoom.
Different rules for different times.

EXPLAINER: How will jury deliberations work in Chauvin case?

The jury will be given a laptop computer with the audio and video evidence from the trial. They will have a large monitor in the room to view the items. Under prior court rules, jurors had to return to court to play videos. But in this case, they will be able to view video evidence as they need to during deliberations.

Some of the evidence presented at trial, called demonstrative evidence, will not be provided. Those include items like legal definitions of terms brought up in court, or graphics used to explain expert analysis. But all other evidence, including the widely viewed bystander video, is fair game.

Jurors were allowed to take notes during the trial and may use those during deliberations to refresh their memories. They will not be provided a trial transcript and are told to rely on their collective memory.

WHAT IF CHAUVIN JURORS HAVE QUESTIONS?

They can send a question to the judge in writing. In most cases, the judge will refer jurors back to their jury instructions. The jurors won't get any new evidence.

Typically, the jurors, defendant, attorneys for both sides and the judge return to the courtroom where the jury's questions are read and answered on the record. But in this case jury questions will be answered over Zoom. Cahill said he doesn't want to move the jury around and doesn't want people coming and going from the courthouse. He didn't say publicly if this was due to the pandemic, the high-profile nature of the case, or both.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THERE IS A VERDICT?

The jurors will have a verdict form for each count. Cahill told jurors that the jury foreperson should mark an “X” by the words “guilty” or “not guilty, and then date and sign the verdict form. When the verdict forms for each count are completed, they will be placed in an envelope, sealed and given to a deputy who will give them to the court.

The jury will return to the courtroom and the verdict will be read publicly.

That's ridiculously low, IMO.

So what happens if a potential juror cannot afford to serve?

So, the expert witnesses get $200+/hr, and the jurors get $2-3/hr ($20/day). That says a lot. JMO.

Edited to fix math

I thought MN is generous!

In New Jersey, jurors get paid $5 a day and have no mileage reimbursement.

Laws change nationwide after George Floyd’s death | kare11.com

“MINNEAPOLIS — The outcome of Derek Chauvin’s murder trial in the Hennepin County courthouse remains to be seen.

But what is happening in statehouses nationwide is clear.

The death of George Floyd is having unprecedented national impact.

A KARE 11 investigation finds more than 100 reform laws have been passed involving policing and police accountability. Many others are still pending.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie