GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #18 - Chauvin Closing & Deliberations #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Happens If Derek Chauvin Is Convicted, Or If He's Acquitted?

“If there is a conviction the jury will have a second job to do. The jury will have to go back and deliberate on whether any aggravating factors existed.

The first possible aggravating factor is whether the victim was “treated with particular cruelty.” The second is if a child was present. Witnesses at the scene and who testified included two teens who were 17 at the time, as well as a 9-year-old.

“If they find aggravating factors the judge could go all the way up to the statutory maximum, which for count one is up to 40 years, count two up to 25 years, and count three up to 10 years,” Tamburino said.

If Chauvin is in fact acquitted he still could face federal criminal civil rights charges. A grand jury has been meeting to consider those charges, and if he were to be charged and convicted in federal court, that sentence could be up to life in prison.”
He's asking that the jury not be permitted to sentence him.
He want the judge to sentence him.
#loaded

That's ridiculously low, IMO.

So what happens if a potential juror cannot afford to serve?

So, the expert witnesses get $200+/hr, and the jurors get $2-3/hr ($20/day). That says a lot. JMO.

Edited to fix math

I thought MN is generous!

In New Jersey, jurors get paid $5 a day and have no mileage reimbursement.

Damn, Colorado is $50 a day and I always thought that was bad....

Edit: Decided to look up what each state pays:

Jury Duty Pay By State - JuryDuty101

Could be worse, Illinois & South Carolina pay $0

Last edited:
We should have a poll, how long will the jury be out?

They'll be back Wednesday with a verdict.

4 hours today for laying their groundwork, and what they needed to decide. Tomorrow (Tuesday) to hash out the finer points. Sometime Wednesday with an agreed-upon verdict.

(Wild guess, of course)

I wonder who they have selected as the foreperson. Hopefully someone who is decisive and good at directing brainstorming sessions.

Last edited:
Can I ask a question please?
I'm trying to figure out how juries discuss things..
Does one person read something out and all twelve talk abut it and do they all talk at the same time.. Are they seated at one big table or several little ones?
How do they organise themselves in there?

Does one person read something out and all twelve talk abut it and do they all talk at the same time.. Are they seated at one big table or several little ones?
I’m pretty sure one discussion all together...

I think they all sit around one large table.

"Jurors will choose a foreperson to lead the group through deliberations. After that, no one really knows.

Mark Osler, a professor at the University of St. Thomas School of Law, said typically jurors will take a straw poll to see where everyone stands. If everyone is in agreement right off the bat, sometimes a case is over — but sometimes jurors decide to talk about it anyway. If there is disagreement, then the deliberations begin in earnest."

"The jury will be given a laptop computer with the audio and video evidence from the trial. They will have a large monitor in the room to view the items."

"Jurors were allowed to take notes during the trial and may use those during deliberations to refresh their memories. They will not be provided a trial transcript and are told to rely on their collective memory."

"They can send a question to the judge in writing. In most cases, the judge will refer jurors back to their jury instructions. The jurors won't get any new evidence.

Typically, the jurors, defendant, attorneys for both sides and the judge return to the courtroom where the jury's questions are read and answered on the record. But in this case jury questions will be answered over Zoom."

"The jurors will have a verdict form for each count. Cahill told jurors that the jury foreperson should mark an “X” by the words “guilty” or “not guilty", and then date and sign the verdict form. When the verdict forms for each count are completed, they will be placed in an envelope, sealed and given to a deputy who will give them to the court.

The jury will return to the courtroom and the verdict will be read publicly."

EXPLAINER: How will jury deliberations work in Chauvin case?

Last edited:
They'll be back Wednesday with a verdict.

4 hours today for laying their groundwork, and what they needed to decide. Tomorrow (Tuesday)O to hash out the finer points. Sometime Wednesday with an agreed-upon verdict.

(Wild guess, of course)

I wonder who they have selected as the foreperson. Hopefully someone who is decisive and good at directing brainstorming sessions.
The time that I served on a jury and we were instructed to choose a foreperson. A man said, I will be the foreman, we don't need to waste time over this.

I think they all sit around one large table.

"Jurors will choose a foreperson to lead the group through deliberations. After that, no one really knows.

Mark Osler, a professor at the University of St. Thomas School of Law, said typically jurors will take a straw poll to see where everyone stands. If everyone is in agreement right off the bat, sometimes a case is over — but sometimes jurors decide to talk about it anyway. If there is disagreement, then the deliberations begin in earnest."

"The jury will be given a laptop computer with the audio and video evidence from the trial. They will have a large monitor in the room to view the items."

"Jurors were allowed to take notes during the trial and may use those during deliberations to refresh their memories. They will not be provided a trial transcript and are told to rely on their collective memory."

"They can send a question to the judge in writing. In most cases, the judge will refer jurors back to their jury instructions. The jurors won't get any new evidence.

Typically, the jurors, defendant, attorneys for both sides and the judge return to the courtroom where the jury's questions are read and answered on the record. But in this case jury questions will be answered over Zoom."

"The jurors will have a verdict form for each count. Cahill told jurors that the jury foreperson should mark an “X” by the words “guilty” or “not guilty, and then date and sign the verdict form. When the verdict forms for each count are completed, they will be placed in an envelope, sealed and given to a deputy who will give them to the court.

The jury will return to the courtroom and the verdict will be read publicly."

EXPLAINER: How will jury deliberations work in Chauvin case?
Thank you,
I could not get my brain around how they organised themselves.
I wonder whether things become heated at times?
Do they ever actually fight?

Please share the link Girlfriend! I know you have it!

always ;) I feel a bit duped by it personally.

The times are 20:19:35 on the left, the right side is 20:20:05

upload_2021-4-19_22-16-44.png

Going back to Tobin's testimony... this is used in his testimony by the state, but this is how it was characterized on direct:

Tobin: .... this is extraordinarily significant because this tells you that he has used up his resources and he is now literally trying to breathe with his fingers and knuckles because when you begin to breathe you begin to breathe with your rib cage and your diaphragm the next thing you recruit after that is your sternomastoid muscle which is the big muscle in your neck and then when those are wasted up then you're return relying on these types of muscles like your fingers to try and stabilize your whole right side because he's totally dependent on getting air into the right side so he's using his fingers and his knuckles against the street to try and crank up the right side of his chest this is his only way to try and get air to get into the right lung

It was very compelling testimony and I didn't even think to look at timestamps... but that first photo was taken 15 seconds after he was put on the ground. Very misleading IMO

Where I live, it is $130 a day and employers have to give you the time off (no matter how long) at full pay.

So jurors get their full regular pay, plus $130?
It's interesting how different it is everywhere. Most people I know want to avoid jury duty, either because of the perceived inconvenience, or because, they cannot afford to lose pay (and fear retribution from their employer). :(

It's interesting how different it is everywhere. Most people I know want to avoid jury duty, either because of the perceived inconvenience, or because, they cannot afford to lose pay (and fear retribution from their employer). :(
Yes. It should not be a burden to do jury duty.

Where I work, if you get chosen for jury duty, you turn in the "jury duty" check to payroll, and you continue to receive your regular salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater