GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @BetteDavisEyes . As I predicted a couple pages upthread, I think Cahill will sentence DC to 15 years, give or take a few. And, Chauvin will likely be released in half that time. My opinion. Any other predictions?
And I think the sentence will be harsh. The Judge will make an example out if him. The changes are coming: Nobody is above the Law. The sentence will be a Warning!

Thanks @BetteDavisEyes . As I predicted a couple pages upthread, I think Cahill will sentence DC to 15 years, give or take a few. And, Chauvin will likely be released in half that time. My opinion. Any other predictions?

Not necessarily a prediction, but Chauvin will be sentenced on June 25 that happens to be Mr. BDE and my 50th wedding anniversary. Can you guess the magic number I'm hoping for? :D

A young girl's impact on the Derek Chauvin trial
60 Minutes Overtime

In addition to bystander video seen by millions that brought the world's attention to the case, 45 witnesses testified in the trial, including the former Minneapolis police chief, medical experts, and Judeah Reynolds, a girl who was nine years old when she witnessed George Floyd's death.

"We wanted the jurors to actually meet this bouquet of humanity," Blackwell said, "a little girl in a sweatshirt with, 'love' written on it who was going to the store to get snacks."

Not necessarily a prediction, but Chauvin will be sentenced on June 25 that happens to be Mr. BDE and my 50th wedding anniversary. Can you guess the magic number I'm hoping for? :D
That magic number is what I would hope for as well, but what we hope for is seldom what we get. Especially for cops who murder.

Been off for a while and see that sentencing is coming up. Too light and I think MPLS will be in trouble. I do agree that he will be out in less than 10 years no matter what. I assume this will be covered by Court TV etc. as before. Will this involve victim impact statements etc. and anyone speaking on behalf of the defendant. Have not heard much here locally about this...I think media is being rather quiet maybe at the request of law enforcement due to more potential trouble. These days it does not take much. Any info welcome and I assume by Friday there will be new thread on the sentencing.

Been off for a while and see that sentencing is coming up. Too light and I think MPLS will be in trouble. I do agree that he will be out in less than 10 years no matter what. I assume this will be covered by Court TV etc. as before. Will this involve victim impact statements etc. and anyone speaking on behalf of the defendant. Have not heard much here locally about this...I think media is being rather quiet maybe at the request of law enforcement due to more potential trouble. These days it does not take much. Any info welcome and I assume by Friday there will be new thread on the sentencing.
No current reporting that I can find on June 25 sentencing. Agree media is treading lightly. LE's wish is the public is busy with summer and has forgotten the date. Perhaps social media will create an impetus, but hope not. I would love to see some mitigating and aggravating factors presented by victims and friends/family, but doubt that will happen. I think Judge Cahill will opt instead for little or no drama and get the sentencing done fast and to-the-point...my opinion....And, any info is welcome.

so is it up to Judge Cahill if any testimony is heard? I agree on Cahill fast and to the point...I know here in Minneapolis the Noor sentence did not make many happy but what gets me to wondering is when I read things like this...Chauvin prosecutor says he ‘felt a little bad’ for the killer police officer . Keith Ellison feels bad for Chauvin? This was reported in many media and I have to think he may have indeed said this.

so is it up to Judge Cahill if any testimony is heard? I agree on Cahill fast and to the point...I know here in Minneapolis the Noor sentence did not make many happy but what gets me to wondering is when I read things like this...Chauvin prosecutor says he ‘felt a little bad’ for the killer police officer . Keith Ellison feels bad for Chauvin? This was reported in many media and I have to think he may have indeed said this.
My thinking is Judge Cahill has the latitude to run his courtroom as he chooses. There does not seem to be a "law" about what testimony can be heard or not heard at sentencing. I don't know this for sure so please correct me if I'm guessing wrong.

Yeah, Keith Ellison is on video (in link in above quote) saying, when the verdict was read, he "felt a little bad" for DC. I understand that feeling. Acquaintances have told me they had moments of sadness for DC. He didn't set out that day planning to kill someone. He got wrapped up in his own inflated ego and drama. Maybe he experienced an "euphoric high" displaying his power during those 9 1/2 minutes of kneeling. He is still a murder and a loathsome excuse for a human being! However, I continue to believe he will receive a shorter sentence than he deserves. I also believe that Judge Cahill is sympathetic to the defense. That is just an opinion I formed watching jury selection and the entire trial. What I want for DC, and what I believe he will get, are a wide distance apart.

Last edited:
agree Judge Cahill was very pro defense during the trial but that seemed to be an effort to avoid appeal issues...but no matter what those issues surfaced. Hope that Court TV has not forgotten about what is really an important part of this trial.

USA Today's reporting on Friday's sentencing:
Chauvin sentencing: Cop in George Floyd murder faces up to 30 years
"...On Friday, the court is expected to hear from Floyd's family and loved ones, who will provide victim impact statements to the judge. By law, they are not allowed to speak directly to Chauvin, said Mary Moriarty, the former chief public defender for Hennepin County..."

Last edited:
AG Ellison Seeks Comments From Community Leading Into Derek Chauvin's Sentencing

"... In an unusual move, the Minnesota attorney general is asking the public to submit impact statements ahead of Derek Chauvin’s sentencing on murder charges Friday..."
"...Minnesota law says “representatives of the community affected by the crime may submit an impact statement.” Attorney General Keith Ellison’s website currently goes to a submission page, which asks for a statement and where the person lives — including whether that’s in Minnesota or even outside the U.S..."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members