MN - George Floyd, 46, unarmed, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *arrests* #2

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Tippy Lynn, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

Are there threads for these guys? If not please could you start them? Obviously we cannot comment about these in this thread I assume. Thx.

2. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

Thanks for that. There is an additional link in that article to this one below, which I am still taking in.

Anger as local police union chief calls George Floyd a 'violent criminal'

GarAndTeed, Charlot123, KR72 and 2 others like this.
  3. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

SleuthBee likes this.
  4. SleuthBee

SleuthBee Glad to Bee here

I guess you are ready to start workin the case :D

I don't recall the exact date the 3rd precinct was burned down or if this warrant was executed. 5 days after the incident is more than enough time to clean out a locker...

** This case involves honorable LE sworn to serve and protect, a depraved killer posing as a police officer, a questionable PD, and an unarmed and restrained suspect that was killed while in police custody. My LE background and sense of loyalty is challenged. And SleuthBee and Websleuths are both LE friendly. How do we do this within the terms of service?

GarAndTeed, MsBetsy and sds71 like this.
  5. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

There is also an article from Yahoo Sports that came up when I googled it. I don't know how to link it and I'm not sure I can with my phone.

It goes into detail about how the maneuver was banned but was continued by officers without proper training. Imo

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  6. Alice253

Alice253 Live Every Moment

I know I am a little behind, but could we please get a thread for this man? Another totally senseless death. Thank you.

7. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Joe Biden and Rev. Al Sharpton deliver remarks at George Floyd funeral:

George Floyd's funeral service is today and will feature a eulogy by the Rev. Al Sharpton and remarks by Former Vice President Joe Biden, Rep. Al Green of Texas, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas, and Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner. I heard on CNN that Former President Barack Obama and Former President Bill Clinton will also have a part.

Watch live:

branmuffin, angelainwi, Bravo and 9 others like this.
  8. JerseyGirl

I'll set them up in a few minutes and provide links here.

ETA:

TX - Javier Ambler, unarmed man killed in police custody, Austin, 28 Mar 2019

WA - Manuel Ellis, unarmed man killed in police custody, Tacoma, 3 Mar 2020

angelainwi, Bravo, Jax49 and 5 others like this.
  9. DropthePuck

DropthePuck Well-Known Member

The mayor banned "warrior style training", not the kneeling maneuver, specifically. "Last year, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey banned "warrior-style" training, which he said prioritizes officer safety over community safety." The police union, led by Kroll, opposed the policy and said they would "offer warrior training for free".
    Most Minnesota law enforcement agencies ban the neck-pinning maneuver used against George Floyd — but it's still allowed in Minneapolis

As of 5/26/20, when the article below was published, the kneeling maneuver was still allowed. "In Minneapolis, kneeling on a suspect's neck is allowed under the department’s use-of-force policy for officers who have received training in how to compress a neck without applying direct pressure to the airway. It is considered a “non-deadly force option,” according to the department’s policy handbook."

Black man dies in Minneapolis police custody, four officers fired

10. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

Neither of the above links indicate Chauvin voted in Florida. Does a link exist proving he claimed he was a resident of Florida and voted in Florida?

11. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

Nvm, I found it,

Former Minneapolis Officer Derek Chauvin Voted In Florida In 2016, 2018

musicaljoke and MsBetsy like this.
  12. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

GarAndTeed and MsBetsy like this.
  13. jamesbond

jamesbond New Member

Hello,

When is the actual trial likely to take place? Months? Years?

The prosecuting side would be the Floyd family? Defendant would be the State of MN?

Would Ben Crump and team be the litigators or are they not litigators?

Thank you

14. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

It’s the state vs the ex police officers
    Minnesota Judicial Branch - 27-CR-20-12646: State vs. Derek Chauvin

Bravo, GarAndTeed, MsBetsy and 2 others like this.
  15. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

The trial will probably be in a couple of years. imo

Mohamed Noor (Minneapolis police officer) killed Justine Damond in July 2017. Noor's trial started in April 2019. Then he was sentenced in early June 2019.

Steft50, branmuffin, Bravo and 3 others like this.
  16. jamesbond

jamesbond New Member

Thank you

So the State would incur the legal expenses for the case? I presume the Floyd's are responsible for their own travel expenses etc. to participate in the trial?

What is the legal responsibility of the individual(s) who took the video(s), are they legally obligated to serve as a witness?

A couple of years seems like a long time for the trial to begin!

17. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

Chauvin needs to be held accountable for every single law he broke. In whatever state he broke it. MN first, and then FL.

Lawyer says ex-Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin illegally voted in Florida, asks Aramis Ayala to pursue charges

“It’s a third-degree felony," he said. "I just hope that [Ayala] investigates it and then decides whether she wants to prosecute. Obviously, prosecution in Minnesota is important, but also if he’s violating laws in Florida, everybody should be held responsible for their actions.”

18. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

19. SleuthBee

SleuthBee Glad to Bee here

"For those who seek to understand, disagreements
    are viewed as opportunities to learn."

Since I don't know everything, please feel free to disagree with me, knowing that I am always open to learn something from you.

I hold a high regard for Dr. Baden (and so does Dr. Cyril Wecht). I listened to his findings then carefully read the medical examiner's report. Although it may appear that they disagree, they are actually saying the same thing. IMOO

In my experience, doctors don't disagree as much as they differ in their interpretation of the medical findings. Their interpretations are based on their knowledge, experience, and effort to research current medical studies.

Asphyxiation causes cardiopulmonary arrest. Dr. Baden is world- renowned and confident in his abilities, so he can step out further and withstand objection or cross examination. He knows his stuff!

Dr. Mike Hansen is a highly regarded pulmonary/critical care physician who does a fabulous job explaining GF's autopsy report.

branmuffin, Bravo, DD8 and 3 others like this.
  20. JerseyGirl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.