MN - George Floyd, 46, unarmed, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
He may have been. He certainly didn't seem to be concerned about the consequences of what he was doing. He looked almost robotic from my perception, hands in the pockets, no real expression on his face. Very strange. I don't know for a fact she filed the day before. I just read that somewhere. I've also read she filed the day after. If it turns out she filed the day after, my thoughts are that the marriage was in trouble. IMO, if a woman loves, respects and trusts her husband, she'll very often try to defend him. This lady has not done that. All JMO.

I’d rather think that it takes some time to file for a divorce. Day before or day after - she surely had everything lined up. One article described the neighbor trying, unsuccessfully, to get them in for neighborhood events. He said something about both being busy with work and producing an impression of being remote.

@molly1255 I definitely would never give Chauvin a "pass" on his behavior. He is responsible for killing a man, with no justification or reason. Four officers were more than sufficient to subdue a man who was already handcuffed.

His wife filed for divorce the day after he was arrested. I have no doubt that the marriage was probably over by then.

There is something more. I agree. His actions were nonsensical.

I agree. Santamaria might be a questionable witness, given that we read at first that DC and GF never crossed paths in the club (coming from her), and now it seems, they did, but 18 or so complaints to the police are a good proof that he was an angry man.

Last edited:
I thought I read that his soon to be exwife was a real estate agent?

We have two daughters in this profession, and they easily make high 6 figures each year.

So perhaps his wife found the property in Florida. If her credit rating was good, and his, I think they easily could afford two homes.

Also many who buy homes in Florida rent it out part of the year. That also brings in additional income.

Our daughters, and their husbands own several homes they rent out part of the year or rent fulltime.

Our daughter in Charleston is also married to a real estate agent.

So if she is a real estate agent, I can see why they would be able to own two homes.

Jmho

I was thinking about it. I looked up the prices of properties in Windermere.

Santamaria said she was paying each of her officers $55 per hour. Even if it is all he made in the club, in the beginning of the 2000es, it was a good salary. Windermere says the average income for the city is 130 K, it is doable for a family of two working people.

One more thing, if they bought the property in 2008-2009, it could have been much cheaper.

@eliehonig
speaking now, Minneapolis Police Chief Arradondo clearly and passionately condemned the actions of the four ex-officers - refused to even say Chauvin's name - and embraced the need for and commitment to reform and transparency, without pandering or over-promising.
@tracym
Arradondo on George Floyd's death, "Nothing within that call should've resulted in the outcome of Floyd's death."
@KristenClarkeJD
Reporter points out MPD's inaccurate George Floyd “medical incident” press release, asks: had there not been video, would we have known about this? “I'm thankful, absolutely, that this was captured,” says Chief Arradondo, telling the public: ”Record. Absolutely. Record.”
Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo affirms power and importance of recording police misconduct. Says it’s critical for the public to record, to call out, to demand a supervisor report to the scene.
Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo announces he’s immediately withdrawing from police union contract negotiations.

The Chief also said there is bodycam footage but it is not in his "purview" release it.

I was thinking about it. I looked up the prices of properties in Windermere.

Santamaria said she was paying each of her officers $55 per hour. Even if it is all he made in the club, in the beginning of the 2000es, it was a good salary. Windermere says the average income for the city is 130 K, it is doable for a family of two working people.

One more thing, if they bought the property in 2008-2009, it could have been much cheaper.

If you do a property search in Orange County FL for the last name Chauvin, you can see the address of the property and what it sold for - $210,900 in 2011. But with a two income household (and, as noted, one of the incomes may be high indeed, from selling real estate) it's doable. Especially if part of the year the property is rented out, making that an investment property.

Edited: there was a quote in there that I don't know where the heck it came from that had nothing to do with what I was posting about. Sorry!

Last edited:
George Floyd and Derek Chauvin "bumped heads" while working at nightclub, former coworker says - CBS News

"...CBS News is learning new details from a nightclub coworker about alleged history between Floyd and Derek Chauvin, the former officer who is charged in Floyd's death. According to a former coworker, not only did they know each other, but they had a history of friction.

Floyd and Chauvin both worked security at a nightclub at the same time. Coworker David Pinney said the two men had a history.

"They bumped heads," Pinney said.

"How?" CBS News asked.

"It has a lot to do with Derek being extremely aggressive within the club with some of the patrons, which was an issue," Pinney explained.

The Floyd family says they believe what happened on May 25 was in part personal. Their lawyer has called for Chauvin to be charged with first-degree murder, "because we believe he knew who George Floyd was."

"Is there any doubt in your mind that Derek Chauvin knew George Floyd?" CBS News asked Pinney.

"No. He knew him," the coworker said.

"How well did he know him?" CBS News asked."

"I would say pretty well," Pinney replied."

George Floyd and Derek Chauvin "bumped heads" while working at nightclub, former coworker says - CBS News

"...CBS News is learning new details from a nightclub coworker about alleged history between Floyd and Derek Chauvin, the former officer who is charged in Floyd's death. According to a former coworker, not only did they know each other, but they had a history of friction.

Floyd and Chauvin both worked security at a nightclub at the same time. Coworker David Pinney said the two men had a history.

"They bumped heads," Pinney said.

"How?" CBS News asked.

"It has a lot to do with Derek being extremely aggressive within the club with some of the patrons, which was an issue," Pinney explained.

The Floyd family says they believe what happened on May 25 was in part personal. Their lawyer has called for Chauvin to be charged with first-degree murder, "because we believe he knew who George Floyd was."

"Is there any doubt in your mind that Derek Chauvin knew George Floyd?" CBS News asked Pinney.

"No. He knew him," the coworker said.

"How well did he know him?" CBS News asked."

"I would say pretty well," Pinney replied."
IMO there was more to it than "bumping heads" over DC being aggressive at the club. GF may have known too much and been ready to roll over on DC and he killed him to silence him . If he even really meant to kill him. I think something has to do with drugs and fake money more than race. JMOO

I find it odd that Kueng and Lane were paired together on patrol shifts, despite being rookie officers. Isn't it an established police policy to pair a rookie with an experienced veteran officer?

Officer Noor, who was sentenced to 12.5 years for shooting Justine was an officer for 21 months and his partner, Harrity had been on the force for one year.

I think the thing people are losing sight of is the reason Mr. Floyd died irregardless of motive is the fact that the police used a potentially deadly hold on him when their and no one else's life was n danger.
The root cause is that military tactics and attitudes have “bled” into police tactics and mindset. The military has adopted many aspects of jiu jitsu particularly Brazilian jiu jitsu which places great emphasis on the carotid choke hold. Team tactics are another with multiple officers restraining someone while one officer applies the choke hold. With multiple people holding down an unarmed person. The choke hold is definitely easier for the police but it is not needed to protect anyones safety and is simply too dangerous.

I find it odd that Kueng and Lane were paired together on patrol shifts, despite being rookie officers. Isn't it an established police policy to pair a rookie with an experienced veteran officer?

Were they the two who had just recently graduated groom the academy and only had a day of two of experience?

Were they the two who had just recently graduated groom the academy and only had a day of two of experience?

Yes. From the link:

Chauvin was on the police force for 18 years, but Lane and Kueng were rookies. Lane had been on the police force for four days when Floyd died and was "doing everything he thought he was supposed to do as a four-day police officer," hihs attorney Earl Gray said. Kueng was on his third shift as an officer, his lawyer said.

(The police chief said):

"When I helped craft the duty to intervene and duty to report (policies) in 2016, it does not signify if you have two days on or 20 years on. We expect you to, whether it's verbally and physically, to call out for help and intervene. Mr. Floyd was certainly expecting that," he said.

Minneapolis Police chief says officers' lack of experience is no excuse in George Floyd killing - CNN

how long are police officers considered rookies? Lane joined the force in 2019.

"Lane was also a recent addition to the MPD; he started as a police cadet in February 2019 and started as an officer in December 2019. During his initial court appearance Thursday, his lawyer repeatedly said George Floyd’s death occurred on his fourth day on the force, which is contradicted by these documents"
MPD Releases Personnel Files Of Four Former Officers Involved With George Floyd's Death

Thanks for finding the accurate info rather than attorney spin. I’m happy to be corrected.

The family's go fund me includes tuition for the kids and is currently over 14M

Kanye West is paying Kanye West donates $2 million, pays college tuition for George Floyd’s daughter
"West’s representative said he established a 529 education plan to fully cover college tuition for Gianna Floyd, the 6-year-old daughter of George Floyd."

UnitedHealth is paying it UnitedHealth to donate $10 million in George Floyd's memory
"As part of the company's Diverse Scholars Initiative, a trust fund has also been set up to pay for the college education of Floyd's children." They are also---"UnitedHealth Group announced Monday that it has committed more than $10 million in George Floyd's memory to help support rebuilding efforts in communities impacted by recent riots and looting."

The family's go fund me includes tuition for the kids and is currently over 14M

Kanye West is paying Kanye West donates $2 million, pays college tuition for George Floyd’s daughter
"West’s representative said he established a 529 education plan to fully cover college tuition for Gianna Floyd, the 6-year-old daughter of George Floyd."

UnitedHealth is paying it UnitedHealth to donate $10 million in George Floyd's memory
"As part of the company's Diverse Scholars Initiative, a trust fund has also been set up to pay for the college education of Floyd's children." They are also---"UnitedHealth Group announced Monday that it has committed more than $10 million in George Floyd's memory to help support rebuilding efforts in communities impacted by recent riots and looting."

That's awesome. Gianna and her siblings will have opportunities at whichever school they choose, as they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member