MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the use of a chokehold by other means. By cutting off blood to the brain via the victims carotid artery on either side of the neck the victim can be rendered unconscious in seconds, but if the hold is held long enough they can die, as this man did. This can be done with hands, wrists, arms or even ones legs and in this case with a knee. It is quite painful and after awhile it can feel like you cannot breath.

It is a chokehold and it is illegal for the police to use it.
Furthermore, this victim was cuffed and on his stomach and not a threat to anyone. The cop wanted complete and total submission by this poor man and was moving his knee to try to get a deeper hold. This Is a tremendous abuse of power Not to mention a cowardly and disgusting action by this officer.

Black man dies in Minneapolis police custody, four officers fired

In Minneapolis, kneeling on a suspect's neck is allowed under the department’s use-of-force policy for officers who have received training in how to compress a neck without applying direct pressure to the airway. It is considered a “non-deadly force option,” according to the department’s policy handbook.

A chokehold is considered a deadly force option and involves someone obstructing the airway. According to the department’s use-of-force policy, officers are to use only an amount of force necessary that would be objectively reasonable.

In Minneapolis, kneeling on a suspect's neck is allowed under the department’s use-of-force policy for officers who have received training in how to compress a neck without applying direct pressure to the airway. It is considered a “non-deadly force option,” according to the department’s policy handbook.

A chokehold is considered a deadly force option and involves someone obstructing the airway. According to the department’s use-of-force policy, officers are to use only an amount of force necessary that would be objectively reasonable.

Oh geeze. He might not be convicted.

His use of this "non-deadly force option" in this instance and for this duration strongly suggests that his training wasn't given/taken, didn't stick, or that he went well beyond it in order to incapacitate or kill, as several witnesses warned about at the time. What a horrific overuse of authority and force for a straightforward arrest.

His use of this "non-deadly force option" in this instance and for this duration strongly suggests that his training wasn't given/taken, didn't stick, or that he went well beyond it in order to incapacitate or kill, as several witnesses warned about at the time. What a horrific overuse of authority and force for a straightforward arrest.
He looked like he was enjoying it. Like I said, there is a type that should never be allowed to join the police. Or indeed the prison service, or anywhere else where sadism can be given full rein.

Even hunting clubs know this - anyone who shows pleasure in an animal suffering will get booted from a hunting club immediately. That should be a million times more true for a police force.

This is the use of a chokehold by other means. By cutting off blood to the brain via the victims carotid artery on either side of the neck the victim can be rendered unconscious in seconds, but if the hold is held long enough they can die, as this man did. This can be done with hands, wrists, arms or even ones legs and in this case with a knee. It is quite painful and after awhile it can feel like you cannot breath.

It is a chokehold and it is illegal for the police to use it.
Furthermore, this victim was cuffed and on his stomach and not a threat to anyone. The cop wanted complete and total submission by this poor man and was moving his knee to try to get a deeper hold. This Is a tremendous abuse of power Not to mention a cowardly and disgusting action by this officer.
Black man dies in Minneapolis police custody, four officers

There are two kinds of chokes, a blood choke which i described earlier and an airchoke which targets the larynx and the trachea. Both can kill, but what is commonly called a “chokehold” is a blood or carotid choke used in the “gentle” arts. Eric Gardner was killed by such a choke as was this man. This department is playing around with semantics and the publics misperceptions of what a chokehold is and what it does.

The Twin Cities have seen several consecutive years of protests against police killings of black men, and in one case, an unarmed white Australian woman, but the gathering Tuesday was one of the largest the metro area has ever seen.

At the precinct, as the rain came down heavily, windows were damaged and squad cars sprayed with graffiti. Protesters threw water and milk bottles at the officers, shouting “pigs” and “how could you”. Police fired green teargas and stun grenades to disperse the crowd approaching the station. Dozens of protesters gathered in a Target parking lot.

Hundreds demand justice in Minneapolis after police killing of George Floyd

The Twin Cities have seen several consecutive years of protests against police killings of black men, and in one case, an unarmed white Australian woman, but the gathering Tuesday was one of the largest the metro area has ever seen.

At the precinct, as the rain came down heavily, windows were damaged and squad cars sprayed with graffiti. Protesters threw water and milk bottles at the officers, shouting “pigs” and “how could you”. Police fired green teargas and stun grenades to disperse the crowd approaching the station. Dozens of protesters gathered in a Target parking lot.

Hundreds demand justice in Minneapolis after police killing of George Floyd
I'm watching the live coverage of the protests now.

I live close to both protest sites. Used to live by the murder scene. It’s been raining hard for hours but I still hear gunshots and sirens coming from 3rd precinct area.. my heart hurts so bad for my community, I’m so sickened.

BBM It sure wasn't non-deadly in this instance! IMO the autopsy results will most likely prove that this "non-deadly" action resulted in Mr. Floyd's death.

I had no idea forgery was an extra-judicial capital offence in Minnesota <sarcasm>.

Rest in Peace Mr. Floyd, I hope and pray justice is coming.

:rose:

ETA I think I saw a headline earlier today that corrected the original story by the cops that he was resisting arrest. I'll see if I can find a link, unless someone has already posted it.

Last edited:
RIP, Mr. Floyd. You didn't deserve to die. I will keep his family in my thoughts.

It is gut wrenching to continue to see situations like this in this country. I am hoping that this goes beyond firing these monsters and into charges of murder that they all have to answer to--just like other people who kill a person and are bystanders. Not a single one of them should ever walk free again. Having a badge is not a license to kill. Being with a bad actor and not stopping him does not excuse a behavior. Charge them all.

Last edited:
From all the articles that I've seen on here - not one has Floyd's age. Anyone know?
TIA!

Someone mentioned above - I just watched a lynching.... very true! Disgusting! And praying for George's family for their loss. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks