MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Tippy Lynn, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

I hope tonight goes well. I asked my young adult son if he knew who Sharpton was and he said no. I mentioned to him my concern that young people won't know who these leaders are and he replied, "If they are leaders, they know how to lead."

His response gives me some hope.

May tonight be powerful and peaceful.

jmo

2. BayouBelle_LA

BayouBelle_LA Well-Known Member

There were no police around when they trashed and looted Target. I think some were using this as an opportunity to steal.

3. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

I'm reading on FB they are throwing rocks and stuff at cars from the overpasses. Is there anybody here who is local that can confirm this?

4. CrimeDawg123

CrimeDawg123 Well-Known Member

Minnesota Governor Tim Walz' order to activate National Guard to restore order:

https://static.fox9.com/www.fox9.com/content/uploads/2020/05/EO-20-64-Final.pdf

Minnesota governor activates National Guard to restore calm amid escalating unrest over George Floyd death
    "Approximately 200 Minnesota state troopers will also assist with public safety efforts over the next several days. State Patrol helicopters and fixed wind aircraft will also be available to assist law enforcement officers on the ground."

5. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

Things are already heating up in St. Paul. (St. Paul borders Minneapolis. Together they are the Twin Cities.)

6. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

I'm just starting to read this thread. Was it just me or did the kneeling officer have his left hand in his pocket? I agree regarding the look on his face, unbelievable. No where in any video have I seen Mr. Floyd resist in any way. Did I miss something? I saw absolutely nothing that indicated anything other than full cooperation by Mr. Floyd.

Off to finish the rest of the thread.

kakadu, GarAndTeed, Niner and 13 others like this.
  7. Cappuccino

Cappuccino Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what these protests are even trying to achieve. The four officers have been fired and an investigation is under way. What do the protesters want that isn't already happening?

8. CrimeDawg123

Yes, he had his hand in his pocket. Super casual like.
    EDIT: @tayaway says no. I stand corrected.

9. tayaway

tayaway Well-Known Member

No, Chauvin's gloved hand was in a fist on his thigh.

10. Dre

Dre Well-Known Member

I agree that I wish these protests would be AFTER the loss of the conviction or something like that because in this particular case they are well on their way to an arrest (imo)
    BUT as the judicial system is almost never forgiving to black people the way it is to some white people and officers, it’s the anger, rage and lack of voice that’s fueling what’s happening now. The injustices cannot be undone and we don’t really trust our CJS to handle these cases with any real justice. The temperature has been rising a lonnnnng time and now the pot is completely boiling over.
    The time for change is NOW

11. CrimeDawg123

Oh my bad. I thought pocket.

12. CrimeDawg123

Joint statement DOJ and FBI:

The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota, the Department of Justice Civil Rights Division and the FBI’s Minneapolis Field Office are conducting a robust criminal investigation into the circumstances surrounding the May 25, 2020, death of George Floyd. The Department of Justice has made the investigation a top priority and has assigned experienced prosecutors and FBI criminal investigators to the matter.

The federal investigation will determine whether the actions by the involved former Minneapolis Police Department officers violated federal law. It is a violation of federal law for an individual acting under color of law to willfully deprive another person of any right protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States.

The Department of Justice asks for cooperation from all witnesses who believe they have relevant information and urges calm as investigators methodically continue to gather facts.

The Department of Justice and FBI’s comprehensive investigation will compile all available information and thoroughly evaluate evidence and information obtained from witnesses. Upon conclusion of the FBI’s investigation, the U.S. Attorney’s Office will determine whether federal criminal charges are supported by the evidence. If it is determined that there has been a violation of federal law, criminal charges will be sought.

Anyone with information can call the FBI at 1-800-CALLFBI (800-225-5324)

Joint Statement Of United States Attorney Erica MacDonald And FBI Special Agent In Charge Rainer Drolshagen

13. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

14. tayaway

tayaway Well-Known Member

It's very hard to tell. If you look closely, you can see that his glove is black and his pants are navy blue. You'll also see his gloved fingers.

Attached Files:

15. Only4Justice

Only4Justice Well-Known Member

Quick comment without catching up. I literally have to catch my breath on this one.

this arrest better happen before nightfall. IMO

16. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

@NBCNews

Hennepin Co. Attorney Freeman: “That video is graphic and horrific and terrible and no person should do that. But my job in the end is to prove that he violated a criminal statute, and there's other evidence that does not support a criminal charge... I will not rush to justice.”

@DianneG

All four (former) officers involved in the death of George Floyd have invoked their fifth amendment right against self incrimination, Mike Freeman, Hennepin County Attorney, told CNN's
    @miguelmarquez
    following the press conference this afternoon.

17. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

If possible, I seriously want to see this cop get the DP. Based on what I have seen if the video a long sentence isn't enough. Maybe if one cop gets the DP for this behavior, others like him will think twice.

Back to reading before this thread gets so long I can't catch up.

18. drama_farmer

drama_farmer Central Kentucky (Bluegrass)

If pets... Dogs, cats, lizards, mice were so brutally and coldly tortured to death like this in public, with that self-satisfied "I'll show you what I can do" look on that monsters face, can you imagine the outrage that would follow?

19. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

SBM. SAY WHAT? Other evidence that does not support a criminal charge?????? This man has a reputation as heartless some families have described. The statement is astounding. If he thinks there is evidence that doesn't support a criminal charge, I have no words.

20. Shadow205

Shadow205 Well-Known Member

Exactly!

SugarQueen and ColoradoGrandma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.