MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Rev. Al Sharpton is at the murder scene now, speaking at a rally.
-There will be protests again at the 3rd precinct.
-There is a protest started now in St. Paul as well
-Tonight will be a protest downtown
-And still protests at Derek Chauvin's house.

that's FIVE in the Twin Cities. hoping since they are split up that things will be more contained....
waiting to hear about imminent arrest... fingers crossed
I hope tonight goes well. I asked my young adult son if he knew who Sharpton was and he said no. I mentioned to him my concern that young people won't know who these leaders are and he replied, "If they are leaders, they know how to lead."

His response gives me some hope.

May tonight be powerful and peaceful.

jmo

Coming out of my cave for this one. Been trying to take as much of a media break as possible. Today I ghost lurked on Facebook (my account is mostly deactivated). I saw the horrific arrest/ death video, I watched the riot, I decided to look at both the media portrayal and what people were showing on the ground.

First off, that officer is a cold blooded MURDERER. That was racism at it’s finest. This officer needs to be in jail right now.

Second, from all the accounts I have read/ heard, this was a peaceful protest until the police started using tear gas.

Third, Americans are absolutely fed up with these racist police getting off on the murder of black and brown people. There is rarely justice in these cases. People are MAD! And rightly so.

There is talk that a building could not go up in flames in 7 minutes by the protesters. Could the police have been behind that fire? I don’t know, but I am 100% behind defending the protesters.

The systemic racism in this country is absolutely appalling. When my friends tell me they are terrified for their teenage sons to start driving, to walk down the street, to go ANYWHERE or do ANYTHING because they could be next. This is WRONG!

ETA: I have personally been involved in Black lives matter protests in Portland where the police came in and turned a peaceful protest violent.

MOO
There were no police around when they trashed and looted Target. I think some were using this as an opportunity to steal.

Minnesota Governor Tim Walz' order to activate National Guard to restore order:

https://static.fox9.com/www.fox9.com/content/uploads/2020/05/EO-20-64-Final.pdf

Minnesota governor activates National Guard to restore calm amid escalating unrest over George Floyd death
"Approximately 200 Minnesota state troopers will also assist with public safety efforts over the next several days. State Patrol helicopters and fixed wind aircraft will also be available to assist law enforcement officers on the ground."

I don't know, but the look of triumphalism on that officer's face as he's kneeling on the man's neck tells me that he shouldn't have been in any police force with any training at all.

Some people should never be allowed to join the police, nothing worse than a sadist in uniform.

I'm just starting to read this thread. Was it just me or did the kneeling officer have his left hand in his pocket? I agree regarding the look on his face, unbelievable. No where in any video have I seen Mr. Floyd resist in any way. Did I miss something? I saw absolutely nothing that indicated anything other than full cooperation by Mr. Floyd.

Off to finish the rest of the thread.

I'm just starting to read this thread. Was it just me or did the kneeling officer have his left hand in his pocket? I agree regarding the look on his face, unbelievable. No where in any video have I seen Mr. Floyd resist in any way. Did I miss something? I saw absolutely nothing that indicated anything other than full cooperation by Mr. Floyd.

Yes, he had his hand in his pocket. Super casual like.
EDIT: @tayaway says no. I stand corrected.

No, Chauvin's gloved hand was in a fist on his thigh.

I agree that I wish these protests would be AFTER the loss of the conviction or something like that because in this particular case they are well on their way to an arrest (imo)
BUT as the judicial system is almost never forgiving to black people the way it is to some white people and officers, it’s the anger, rage and lack of voice that’s fueling what’s happening now. The injustices cannot be undone and we don’t really trust our CJS to handle these cases with any real justice. The temperature has been rising a lonnnnng time and now the pot is completely boiling over.
The time for change is NOW

Joint statement DOJ and FBI:

The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota, the Department of Justice Civil Rights Division and the FBI’s Minneapolis Field Office are conducting a robust criminal investigation into the circumstances surrounding the May 25, 2020, death of George Floyd. The Department of Justice has made the investigation a top priority and has assigned experienced prosecutors and FBI criminal investigators to the matter.

The federal investigation will determine whether the actions by the involved former Minneapolis Police Department officers violated federal law. It is a violation of federal law for an individual acting under color of law to willfully deprive another person of any right protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States.

The Department of Justice asks for cooperation from all witnesses who believe they have relevant information and urges calm as investigators methodically continue to gather facts.

The Department of Justice and FBI’s comprehensive investigation will compile all available information and thoroughly evaluate evidence and information obtained from witnesses. Upon conclusion of the FBI’s investigation, the U.S. Attorney’s Office will determine whether federal criminal charges are supported by the evidence. If it is determined that there has been a violation of federal law, criminal charges will be sought.

Anyone with information can call the FBI at 1-800-CALLFBI (800-225-5324)

Joint Statement Of United States Attorney Erica MacDonald And FBI Special Agent In Charge Rainer Drolshagen

Quick comment without catching up. I literally have to catch my breath on this one.

The murderous cop kneeling on Georges neck until he died should be up on a murder charge, an absolute disgrace - RIP George, much love and deepest sympathies to his family / friends.
I'm from the UK, I sat and cried for the poor man and hope that justice is served asap :(.

this arrest better happen before nightfall. IMO

@NBCNews

Hennepin Co. Attorney Freeman: “That video is graphic and horrific and terrible and no person should do that. But my job in the end is to prove that he violated a criminal statute, and there's other evidence that does not support a criminal charge... I will not rush to justice.”

@DianneG

https://twitter.com/DianneG/status/1266136215394410498
All four (former) officers involved in the death of George Floyd have invoked their fifth amendment right against self incrimination, Mike Freeman, Hennepin County Attorney, told CNN's
@miguelmarquez
following the press conference this afternoon.

More than a firing is needed. These "officers" need to be arrested tried and convicted. Serving some very long sentences.

If possible, I seriously want to see this cop get the DP. Based on what I have seen if the video a long sentence isn't enough. Maybe if one cop gets the DP for this behavior, others like him will think twice.

Back to reading before this thread gets so long I can't catch up.

If white people were treated this way on a regular basis, the city would have been burnt to the ground long ago.

If pets... Dogs, cats, lizards, mice were so brutally and coldly tortured to death like this in public, with that self-satisfied "I'll show you what I can do" look on that monsters face, can you imagine the outrage that would follow?

@NBCNews

Hennepin Co. Attorney Freeman: “That video is graphic and horrific and terrible and no person should do that. But my job in the end is to prove that he violated a criminal statute, and there's other evidence that does not support a criminal charge... I will not rush to justice.”

SBM. SAY WHAT? Other evidence that does not support a criminal charge?????? This man has a reputation as heartless some families have described. The statement is astounding. If he thinks there is evidence that doesn't support a criminal charge, I have no words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow