MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still on the private detective idea...
Sending a detective to Amsterdam isn't hiring one full-time. I also would not call it "getting burned" when J was not found. I'm sure the detective did his part.

Hello! I have been following missing children cases since Kyron Horman disappeared in 2010. I had not heard of Jacob and his story until just a few days ago. I have been reading from the first thread here on WS and am now only on thread 6. It has taken a lot of time because I am following as many of the links as I can, given that very many of them lead to pages that are no longer available.

I have a question. Kevin, the individual who went to the abduction site the night of the abduction and who later came forward, has said that he did not know that an abduction had taken place until after he had gone to the site. He said he only thought that the children had had their bikes stolen. I am wondering what is so interesting about some kids having their bikes stolen that would lead someone to jump in their car to go to investigate. Was it because the info. on the scanner said that a masked man had been involved? I don't know if that info. was included in what he heard on the scanner. I'm just wondering why he and his girlfriend and the other couple were so interested in what they had heard on the scanner.

Of course, I am not at all implying any involvement in the crime. I'm curious what info. first came out over the scanner.

Hello! I have been following missing children cases since Kyron Horman disappeared in 2010. I had not heard of Jacob and his story until just a few days ago. I have been reading from the first thread here on WS and am now only on thread 6. It has taken a lot of time because I am following as many of the links as I can, given that very many of them lead to pages that are no longer available.

I have a question. Kevin, the individual who went to the abduction site the night of the abduction and who later came forward, has said that he did not know that an abduction had taken place until after he had gone to the site. He said he only thought that the children had had their bikes stolen. I am wondering what is so interesting about some kids having their bikes stolen that would lead someone to jump in their car to go to investigate. Was it because the info. on the scanner said that a masked man had been involved? I don't know if that info. was included in what he heard on the scanner. I'm just wondering why he and his girlfriend and the other couple were so interested in what they had heard on the scanner.

Of course, I am not at all implying any involvement in the crime. I'm curious what info. first came out over the scanner.

Welcome to the thread, MotherOcean! We don't know what went out on the scanner. Articles have mentioned something about "kids, bikes," and possibly "a masked man" - but no one knows for sure except those who heard it. Kevin and the gf's brother first headed to the Del-Win ballroom because they thought maybe something had happened there, so IMO, they didn't hear much.

Hi there, for what it's worth; it's pretty vague; here's a copy/quote of two paragraphs from Kevin's Story found on Joy's Blog:

"Kevin’s girlfriend had an older brother, and he and his wife were also there that evening. After dinner, the five of them started playing cards until about 9:45 or 10pm. It was getting late, so they got their jackets on and were standing in the entryway ready to go when they heard something come across the police scanner. (The girlfriend’s mom always kept the scanner on in the background.) They hadn’t been listening closely, but thought they had heard something about kids, some bikes, Tom Thumb, and possibly a mask."

"Suddenly, they see three police cars go flying past on County 75, lights on, and heading east. (Kevin can’t remember if he heard any sirens, but he remembers the lights.) Since there were only three cops in town at the time (Lorenz, Young/Punky, and a new guy they didn’t know), the group realizes something big must be happening. They decide to follow the cop cars and see what’s going on."

It just sounds like, what they heard was kind of vague, however, the story also includes that they then saw the town's three police cars driving by, with their lights on; and I'd guess, it's the combination of what they heard on the scanner, and seeing the three cars go by that caused an interest.

I'm not saying that what was said across the scanner was vague; I'm saying that according to the story, what they heard was kind of vague (scanner on in the background, etc...). The statement by Kevin about thinking that the bikes were stolen, is a bit odd, but, I don't make too much of it one way or the other. If you're new to the story, Joy's Blog is a good place to start. Some on this discussion board aren't too supportive of it; but, some are, and it's good source of general information on this story. Here's a link to Kevin's Story; also at the beginning, there's a little link that says "New Here, Start from the beginning" and that's worth looking at. http://www.joybaker.com//?s=Kevin's+Story

To clarify a little further; Kevin's story is not that he heard that some kids had had their bikes stolen over the scanner; as stated above, they really didn't know what was going on, but, it got their attention. Later in the story, he mentions that when he saw the kids bikes, he and his girlfriend weren't sure what to do, and that he just figured that they'd been stolen...., so, it's just kind of his way of explaining his thoughts/actions at that time, in reference to having seen the bikes.

Hope that helps.

ps: I hadn't seen Shergal's response when I went to post this.

Re hiring a private,detective. How much would that cost?

Thanks for the welcome and the information! I have been reading Joy Baker's blog, in addition to lots of other articles.

I have a couple of other questions. I haven't read anything that confirms how long DR's parents were out of the country. Did they shorten their trip? Anyone know how long they were away?

Also, I saw references in the last couple of threads (I started at thread one, read through thread six, and am now working backwards) to there being a hit by cadaver dogs on some item or items from DR's farm. Can anyone tell me if that is correct? I know a lawn chair, an umbrella stand, and a cedar chest were taken during a search but I haven't read any MSM articles that verify that the dogs hit on these items.

And one more... was the hockey rink that Jacob was at earlier that day the same place that Jared was coming from when he was taken ten months earlier?

Thanks for any info. I can't get this case off of my mind since the first moment that I heard about it. It just seems unreal that this could happen at all in such a rural community and in that particular spot.

Not sourced if you can't watch it, right?

I can confirm that DR acknowledged that photos were among the items in the box that LE took. He's been fairly open about the general nature of items in the box, and items removed from the shed.

Hi there, for what it's worth; it's pretty vague; here's a copy/quote of two paragraphs from Kevin's Story found on Joy's Blog:

"Kevin’s girlfriend had an older brother, and he and his wife were also there that evening. After dinner, the five of them started playing cards until about 9:45 or 10pm. It was getting late, so they got their jackets on and were standing in the entryway ready to go when they heard something come across the police scanner. (The girlfriend’s mom always kept the scanner on in the background.) They hadn’t been listening closely, but thought they had heard something about kids, some bikes, Tom Thumb, and possibly a mask."

"Suddenly, they see three police cars go flying past on County 75, lights on, and heading east. (Kevin can’t remember if he heard any sirens, but he remembers the lights.) Since there were only three cops in town at the time (Lorenz, Young/Punky, and a new guy they didn’t know), the group realizes something big must be happening. They decide to follow the cop cars and see what’s going on."

It just sounds like, what they heard was kind of vague, however, the story also includes that they then saw the town's three police cars driving by, with their lights on; and I'd guess, it's the combination of what they heard on the scanner, and seeing the three cars go by that caused an interest.

I'm not saying that what was said across the scanner was vague; I'm saying that according to the story, what they heard was kind of vague (scanner on in the background, etc...). The statement by Kevin about thinking that the bikes were stolen, is a bit odd, but, I don't make too much of it one way or the other. If you're new to the story, Joy's Blog is a good place to start. Some on this discussion board aren't too supportive of it; but, some are, and it's good source of general information on this story. Here's a link to Kevin's Story; also at the beginning, there's a little link that says "New Here, Start from the beginning" and that's worth looking at. http://www.joybaker.com//?s=Kevin's+Story

To clarify a little further; Kevin's story is not that he heard that some kids had had their bikes stolen over the scanner; as stated above, they really didn't know what was going on, but, it got their attention. Later in the story, he mentions that when he saw the kids bikes, he and his girlfriend weren't sure what to do, and that he just figured that they'd been stolen...., so, it's just kind of his way of explaining his thoughts/actions at that time, in reference to having seen the bikes.

Hope that helps.

ps: I hadn't seen Shergal's response when I went to post this.

Joy's blog is an excellent source of information being the stories that she shares come directly from those involved in the story. Unfortunately I tend to see more speculation and assumption here on WS than actual facts!

Joy's blog is an excellent source of information being the stories that she shares come directly from those involved in the story. Unfortunately I tend to see more speculation and assumption here on WS than actual facts!

Thats what Websleuths is for, to fact and to assume, and speculate until we get somewhere. Its been working so far.

Actually, I don't think WS is for assumptions. It's for information, investigation (if possible), and speculation. I don't even think one can make assumptions about the POI unless they are proven to be true.

Thats what Websleuths is for, to fact and to assume, and speculate until we get somewhere. Its been working so far.

Maybe "opinions" (as long as you say it's your opinion) is a better word than assumptions. :)

"And one more... was the hockey rink that Jacob was at earlier that day the same place that Jared was coming from when he was taken ten months earlier?"

No. Jacob was at the hockey rink in St. Cloud which is a large indoor facility. Jared was skating with some friends at a rink in Cold Spring, MN.

Have we thoroughly examined Jacob's connections and activities during the weeks prior to the abduction? The fact that the FBI was in on this almost at the start and was unable to find any substantive direction continues to puzzle me. What are we missing?

I agree. It's pretty amazing that the perp was able to pull this off without living a lick of evidence. Absolutely nothing. And has stumped all LE agencies for 25 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member