MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
DR, to my knowledge, has been a teacher without any complaints, for at least 20 yrs. I can't see why this would be a problem. Maybe he is the culprit, but remember this is only a hunch by two new investigators, who may very well be wrong. Also, I don't believe there is another music teacher available. DR travels to different schools.

I would meet with the principal.

No, it is not "newsworthy", what has happened behind the scenes with the victims and their families. Believe me, there has been way more than apologies.
It is just dificult to hear rumor and inuendo when folks obviously know very little about the situation.

This thread is about Jacob, and has absolutely nothing to do with the Abbey.

I am curious why you feel the Abbey has nothing to do with Jacob?

http://www.behindthepinecurtain.com/ has so much info on the abuse by the monks. There are so many that had issues in that area.

The person who does the behind the pine curtain certainly is credible.

It's weird...instinctively, I don't want them in his class. Should I call the principal, should I sit in the back of the room during music class, do I do anything?

I can't talk to my kids about him, or that he is a person of interest in this case. They know about Jacob, but they don't know about DR. Although, once school starts (sept 7th) all the kids will be talking and rumors will fly.

How awful for DR if he is innocent. Part of me wants to give him the benefit of the doubt. But mostly, if he is involved, I hope he is arrested before school starts so us parents can relax...I know I'm not the only one who is freaked out about it.

I've never met him in person. I plan to do so as soon as possible.

DISCLAIMER:
What I'm about to say is NOT a judgment of anyone on this board whatsoever. Its a personal opinion based on my experience in the field of child welfare!

STATEMENT:
If these were MY kids, I'd definitely pull them from that class, and that school to be honest with you!! My job is first to be a parent to my kids -- that means I protect them at any expense, even if its at the expense of an innocent man! I realize DR may be completely innocent, however, its not a risk that I as a parent would be willing to take!! I wouldn't want him anywhere near my own kids!! If LE has reason to consider him a person of interest, then I feel that as a parent, my first priority would be to ensure my kids had no contact with him!

With that said, I'm shocked that the school would allow him to continue to teach the kids! I can understand their hands are a bit tied until he is cleared or arrested, but I'd have thought they'd have pulled him off to desk duty at the school board or something?! Or even a leave with pay until it is sorted out!? I'm surprised there hasn't been a parental outcry over this yet!! If this were happening in my children's school -- I'd have no hesitation in pulling them right out of his class, and out of the school!! Even if he is innocent completely, its of concern that the LE have reason to name him as a person of interest -- so if THEY are worried about him, why the heck aren't the school officials!!?

all these molesting holy rollers ARE NOT ANYTHING SPECIal.. WHO GIVES A CRAP IF THEY ARE A MAN OF THE CLOTH? Not me.. if they were true men of the cloth.. they wouldnt be pigs molesting kids.., this goes for all religions.. they are the same as a street perp.. nasty nasty..and are even more evil to PRETEND to follow God.

DISCLAIMER:
What I'm about to say is NOT a judgment of anyone on this board whatsoever. Its a personal opinion based on my experience in the field of child welfare!

STATEMENT:
If these were MY kids, I'd definitely pull them from that class, and that school to be honest with you!! My job is first to be a parent to my kids -- that means I protect them at any expense, even if its at the expense of an innocent man! I realize DR may be completely innocent, however, its not a risk that I as a parent would be willing to take!! I wouldn't want him anywhere near my own kids!! If LE has reason to consider him a person of interest, then I feel that as a parent, my first priority would be to ensure my kids had no contact with him!

With that said, I'm shocked that the school would allow him to continue to teach the kids! I can understand their hands are a bit tied until he is cleared or arrested, but I'd have thought they'd have pulled him off to desk duty at the school board or something?! Or even a leave with pay until it is sorted out!? I'm surprised there hasn't been a parental outcry over this yet!! If this were happening in my children's school -- I'd have no hesitation in pulling them right out of his class, and out of the school!! Even if he is innocent completely, its of concern that the LE have reason to name him as a person of interest -- so if THEY are worried about him, why the heck aren't the school officials!!?

Thanks for that! I wanted to say something exactly like that, but didn't know how to say it.

I read this morning about a Cohasset, Massachusetts teacher who was fired this week (actually, she was forced to resign) because she posted complaints about her job and the parents of her students on her FB page, which she thought, mistakenly, was private. All she said was that the parents were "snobs" in one post, and on another she said she really wasn't looking forward to going back to her classroom after the summer was over. And parents saw it and the principal called her in and she was forced to resign.
BUT, this "person of interest" in the violent abduction and probable murder of a beautiful little boy twenty years ago is allowed to continue teaching our children.
Tell me what I'm missing here.
That school system is a JOKE if they let this man around children during this investigation. A JOKE. Even if it turns out that he is innocent (which I doubt more and more), the emotional toll on parents of kids in that class will be enormous. And the toll on DR himself, ditto. (Not that I care about him.)
But with such a litigious society, the school is nervous and will let him continue on until they are forced to fire because of an arrest. That, IMHO, is the most sick, pathetic thing ever.
A good teacher with years of experience under her belt lost her job this week because she was feeling a little stressed out and burnt out and let her feelings slip. But a POI in a child's murder? He sits in a classroom around children. The smarmy weirdo.
This makes me ill.

I should explain my use of the term "smarmy weirdo," I suppose.

When LE woke him up 21 years ago because they had a violent abduction and missing child at the edge of his property, he refused to participate, he was distant and vague and uninterested, and said that he wanted to get his sleep. Never even came outside.

He's a teacher? REALLY? He teaches, uh, children? And one was hurt and taken from the edge of his yard/property and he was worried about being bothered and getting his sleep? He shut the door and went back to bed??????

If that doesn't say "involved" to anyone, I don't know what does. Who does that? Who could go back to sleep, even if they wanted to? My husband is a carpenter, exhausted constantly from all his physical labor, but if someone knocked on our door in the middle of the night telling us that a child was taken near our home, he'd be right out there with his boots on, helping. He'd be horrified to his core. He'd never be able to sleep after that. Never. Not many of us could. Never mind someone who works with kids.

I can't help but be vocal here. I've seen and read the interviews with this POI, D.R., and something is not right about him. He's as odd as one can get. It's always about him and his and his family's discomfort in this investigation, through the years, never really about Jacob or Jacob's poor family. He acts rude and hostile at times, the way you'd imagine one would if one had something to hide.

Never mind the fact that the original notion that a car was involved with the abduction is questionable now. I believe the perp was on foot.

People say that he was a teacher for years without a complaint. So what? Many priests that are being charged with sexual abuse went thirty, forty, even fifty years before it came to light and a child finally stepped forward. After this, it's a landslide of victims going public.

People can live very secretive, very dark lives, no matter what their profession. I don't buy the "no complaint" thing. Not one bit.

Epoch miss. Thank you thank you thank you. As a teacher myself, I would have said , "let me help you. I'll turn on any lights on my property that can help you look. I have some bigger lights and outdoor plugins for lights. Let me tell you about some characteristics of my property such as little hidey holes.What can I do? Anything. Do you want to call my sibs and ask them if there is anything they might think of?"

Anything to help. Anything. And there was NO SCHOOL the next day.

It's not that easy to pull your child from school in that area. It's very rural. Not many parents would have the luxury of driving miles and miles to send their child to a different school.

Let's also remember that one deputy to a reporter called DR a person of interest. There was no general announcement. I think we're hanging a person before even being charged with a crime, and this has previously been done on Websleuths. If DR is charged, I'll be the first to back you all.

DR has a perfect right to teach, and there is a union to back him up. What could a principal say, since he/she has no right to ban DR who has never been charged with a crime?

Don't you remember that DR is the one who called police earlier that night and reported "a strange car turning around in his driveway". DR was deliberately misleading police IMO. Why bother called LE to report a "strange" car turning around in your driveway? Hinky.

It's not that easy to pull your child from school in that area. It's very rural. Not many parents would have the luxury of driving miles and miles to send their child to a different school.

Let's also remember that one deputy to a reporter called DR a person of interest. There was no general announcement. I think we're hanging a person before even being charged with a crime, and this has previously been done on Websleuths. If DR is charged, I'll be the first to back you all.

DR has a perfect right to teach, and there is a union to back him up. What could a principal say, since he/she has no right to ban DR who has never been charged with a crime?
Time to start home schooling.

He has a right to a job. Not necessarily the job of his choice. Teachers are moved around all of the time. We even have an administrative option at our district where the administration can move so many people into other jobs per year.

He is very silly to take a classroom job,

Time to start home schooling.

Not many parents have the luxury of home schooling either. It takes a parent who is home all day with their child. In many cases parents work outside the home.

DR has had a completely clean teaching record for many years, has given DNA, has taken (with presumeably no problem) a LDT, and has been interviewed several times w/o being charged. What happens if someone else is hired to take his job, and he's assigned to menial tasks, then no evidence is found? Will a court of opinion still prevent him from doing his job for the rest of the year?

DR has taught the same children for years, and not one child has accused him of anything inappropriate. I see this as a lawsuit just waiting to happen, a lawsuit that could cost the district heavily. Are parents willing to underwrite a panic cost in the form of higher taxes?

Where are the news crews? I'd think they'd be all over this story.

Not many parents have the luxury of home schooling either. It takes a parent who is home all day with their child. In many cases parents work outside the home.

DR has had a completely clean teaching record for many years, has given DNA, has taken (with presumeably no problem) a LDT, and has been interviewed several times w/o being charged. What happens if someone else is hired to take his job, and he's assigned to menial tasks, then no evidence is found? Will a court of opinion still prevent him from doing his job for the rest of the year?

DR has taught the same children for years, and not one child has accused him of anything inappropriate. I see this as a lawsuit just waiting to happen, a lawsuit that could cost the district heavily. Are parents willing to underwrite a panic cost in the form of higher taxes?

where would the lawsuit come from? He would have no monetary loss. He would still be working.

If his issues are dismissed ,he could be put right back in the classroom as the other person would be hired as a long term sub.

There are teachers in music laid off by the hundreds all over the US. I am sure that there would be one waiting in a heart beat to take his duties for awhile.

He has been named a POI. In some states that would get him a leave without pay as school districts are not allowed to have a POI on school premises.

A lawsuit would be based on what exactly?

He would have absolutely no financial loss.

Rather think if some kid accuses him of something and the kid is clever. He would be off the job in a nano second pending investigation.

Even if he was found innocent of some kid's allegations,, it would just add to the "evidence" in people's minds.

That is why I say he is incredibly stupid to take a student contact job. Fooish foolish foolish.

A St. Paul, MN principal just sued the district because Arlington High School closed (sort of), and she was assigned to a position as assistant principal - with the same pay as a principal. The case has yet to be heard.

Lawsuits are extremely costly. Extremely. I know a teacher who sued the school district over harassment, and the person did win after about three years and tens of thousands of dollars.

If someone has the time and money, go for it. That teacher that I know of ended up with a couple of bucks when all was said and done.

A St. Paul, MN principal just sued the district because Arlington High School closed (sort of), and she was assigned to a position as assistant principal - with the same pay as a principal. The case has yet to be heard.

sounds like a silly waste of time, But to each their own.

Principals are getting harder and harder to find, so she will get a job as a principal again. But after a lawsuit if she ever needs to find another position-good luck.

There are plenty of fish in the sea and they don't need to pick a poison one.

<b>Let's also remember that one deputy to a reporter called DR a person of interest. There was no general announcement.</b> I think we're hanging a person before even being charged with a crime, and this has previously been done on Websleuths. If DR is charged, I'll be the first to back you all.

BBM
That's not really accurate. "On Friday, July 2, Stearns County Sheriff John Sanner described 54-year-old music teacher Dan Rassier as a &#8220;person of interest&#8221; in the abduction of Jacob Wetterling at the end of the Rassier driveway on the evening of Oct. 22, 1989." It was the sheriff himself who told the Times that DR was a POI. It was published in the local paper and on the local and twin cities news. I think that is a "general announcement."
http://www.immelman.us/news/wetterling-suspect-dan-rassier/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member