MN MN - Joe Zurnieden, 42, Minneapolis, 1 July 2014

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by los2188, Jul 8, 2014.

1. los2188

los2188 North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

Joe Zurnieden
    [​IMG]

Minneapolis Police Seek Help To Find Missing Man

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) –
    http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/07/08/minneapolis-police-seek-help-to-find-missing-man/

2. Loading...

3. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

4. los2188

los2188 North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

5. Imbackon

Imbackon New Member

If you are not from here, it is easy to understand why you wouldn't know, but it is most likely that this man has drowned. A man was last seen going under water on the Mississippi river in downtown Mpls. the same morning and has not been recovered. Joe would have had plenty of time to go from where his car was found to the same area at the river .
    http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/...er-in-mississippi-river-near-nicollet-island/

6. ceejaywu

ceejaywu Inactive

7. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

from that article ceejaywu just posted:
    "He goes for walks to clear his mind," she said. [his wife] "He would say that he didn't want to do all of his work in his fan. He liked to find beautiful spots to just think."

Work in his fan? Any idea what the means? If a typo, what else might it mean? Not sure it has any bearing on anything of course, just curious.

8. ceejaywu

ceejaywu Inactive

They owned a small business. A custom glass shop. Perhaps his business vehicle was a van? A typo or misheard?

9. chris24

chris24 New Member

I'm from the area and can't find Marshall Ave and 26th in Northeast MPLS on a map. The only Marshall Ave I'm finding is near St. Paul. Any locals can you direct me?

10. Confusion

Confusion Well-Known Member

Marshall Street is highway 23, I believe. It runs pretty much parallel to the Mississippi River, and 26th there should be a bit north of Lowry. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I haven't lived in the area in many years.

11. ceejaywu

ceejaywu Inactive

Yes, you're exactly right. On the map it looks like 26th street starts and stops due to a railroad... but if you keep following it all the way west to the river it intersects at the river with Marshall (which is also called 23).

12. OkieGranny

13. OkieGranny

http://www.kaaltv.com/article/stories/S3529943.shtml?cat=10151

14. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Former Member

Clift told the true story of a widespread community search in Minneapolis earlier this year for a friend of his - Joe Zurnieden - who went missing near the Mississippi River during a period of severe weather. Clift and others in the community reached out on social networks to connect with friends and other locals to help with the search; other friends used YouTube to tell Joe's story; and they used cloud tools such as Google Docs to share lists of assistance activities.

A range of other free and open source online tools were used in the search, Clift said, such as 10 sources of local maps, including OpenStreetMap; the activity recruitment tools SignUpGenius to organise people to help with the search and organise meals; and the free website tool Weebly to create a website to organise a fundraiser, for example.

Sadly, Joe was never found, but the high level of community support using these digital tools showed that we are now a society of "digital engagement based on necessity", he said: "It shows the way we use this medium when we have to.

http://www.ukauthority.com/news/500...ngagement-generation-says-e-democracy-pioneer

15. mnplsgal

mnplsgal New Member

I only live a few miles from here and I am really disheartened that there have been no updates on Joe's case in the media. He is also not listed on the Minnesota Missing Person's Clearinghouse (https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bc...ative/Pages/missing-unidentified-persons.aspx) although there is an entry for him in NAMUS. I can't be the only person who finds it strange that a 40-something year old man disappeared in the middle of the day.

16. azure

azure Active Member

Did they ever identify the man who drowned in the Mississippi the morning Joe went missing?

17. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Well-Known Member

18. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Well-Known Member