MN MN - Joshua Guimond, 20, Collegeville, 9 Nov 2002 - #2

I am curious if it is possible to do a reverse image search on the profile pictures released by the SCSO. Is that possible for us to do or do you need the original image? If someone with more technical skills than me could attempt to answer this question I would appreciate it!
a couple of us attempted that,results linkd here MN - MN - Joshua Guimond, 20, Collegeville, 9 Nov 2002 - #2

any image works,doesnt need to be originall....but as ciriii said,we are dealing with 20+ year oldd photos so they are difficult to work with for many reasons age being one of them

also apologies for not posting fora while,ive had surgery and expecting at least 1 more surgery (im not in a good way unfortunately!!)

a couple of us attempted that,results linkd here MN - MN - Joshua Guimond, 20, Collegeville, 9 Nov 2002 - #2

any image works,doesnt need to be originall....but as ciriii said,we are dealing with 20+ year oldd photos so they are difficult to work with for many reasons age being one of them

also apologies for not posting fora while,ive had surgery and expecting at least 1 more surgery (im not in a good way unfortunately!!)
So, one would need to "age up" the photos, then do a reverse image search with those photos, and look for any connections to the SJU area? Yikes!

Hope you feel better!

So, one would need to "age up" the photos, then do a reverse image search with those photos, and look for any connections to the SJU area? Yikes!

Hope you feel better!
Strange because I was just discussing doing this with someone else lol
Although it would be possible to use AI to "age up" the photos there'd be some inherent problems which would affect how reliable they'd be
*since we don't know the people's ages, we don't know to what age to advance them
*changes in hair style, loss of hair, weight gain/ loss can't be predicted

It is definitely possible to do, but it would be a rough guide only and so the image lookup probably wouldn't work. Which is a shame.

I think it comes downn to what we hope too achieve! do we want to spend countless hours,weeks,months years trying to identify everyone on photos? we can do that...but have to be realistic?? How many online dates end in murder?

in the UK in 2011, 140 crimes were recorded. bear in mind that now 1 in 3 people meet a date online. in 2002 both stats would be considerably lower,even in USA

so as far as I can tell, with that in mind plus other circumstantial evidence,the chances of an online date being behind the disappearance aree slim....not impossible....but slim!

which brings us back to the profile... someone who knew the campus extremely well.someone who knew there were no cameras or street lighting etc this hints the person(s) involved may have been living on campus

unfortunately I'm in too much pain to continue typing so I'll try too folllow this up when I can

so ive continued to think sbout the case and keep wondering why josh left the party. i wonder why id leave a party after being there for such a short time.....logic tells me that something was playing on his mind...ive weighed up the options and main things that springn to mind are;
  • felt ill
  • wanted to go back to dorm room
  • prearranged meetup elsewhere
  • spontaneously wanted t o go elsewhere
my reasoning:
  • feeling ill...no one said josh seemed ill. moving to least likely
  • back to dorm room? .....possible but no keycard of josh returning to his dorm...still not impossible,but....somewhat less likely
  • unlikely....he had been invited to the poker party much earlier,so i doubt he would double-book himself...so i am crossing this off the list
  • this...to me....seems like the one. let me expxlain why below
if we go to Disappearance of Joshua Guimond - Wikipedia , we see the following: "The other students at the party said he got up and left the apartment around 11:45 p.m., without saying anything. However, he had implied beforehand that he had somewhere else to be" and "He was last seen wearing blue jeans and a gray Saint John's sweatshirt, which was not appropriate clothing for spending a long amount of time in the snow".

reading between the lines and using some basic logic...this tells me josh was going somewhere fairly spontaneously, that he hadnt fully planned outin advance and he was planning on being indoors (hence he thought his clothing was appropriate for wherever he was going).

I think this makes total sense and agree with your evaluation wholeheartedly.
All I would add is that because his friends say he implied he had somewhere to be that he did indicate he was leaving but wasn't particularly detailed about where to and therfore he hadnt planned it decisively. Or they took no notice.
I can think of many reasons for someone deciding to leave a party spontaneously and perhaps just mumbling a non descript good bye, I've done it myself in younger years when I was having a panic attack or felt uncomfortable for no apparent reason or had a lot of stress.

"The other students at the party said he got up and left the apartment around 11:45 p.m., without saying anything. However, he had implied beforehand that he had somewhere else to be
BBM

This statement has always bothered me, who did he indicate it to. Was it when he first arrived at the party or did he say something to Alex and Greg earlier that day?
Because if he said it at the party then it doesn't make sense that they tried to call him later worried when they noticed he'd disappeared because...well apparently he'd already told them he intended to leave. So which is it; either they knew or they didn't know!

Hope that makes sense lol

"The other students at the party said he got up and left the apartment around 11:45 p.m., without saying anything. However, he had implied beforehand that he had somewhere else to be
BBM

This statement has always bothered me, who did he indicate it to. Was it when he first arrived at the party or did he say something to Alex and Greg earlier that day?

if im not mistaken,it was during the party when josh implied to someone that he hadsomewhere else to be. that person then presumably reported it to the sheriffs or sju staff

BBM

Because if he said it at the party then it doesn't make sense that they tried to call him later worried when they noticed he'd disappeared because...well apparently he'd already told them he intended to leave. So which is it; either they knew or they didn't know!

Hope that makes sense lol
ok, I found it!

"he does specifically recall Josh implying that he had somewhere to be. The way that Eric described it is that there was something about the way that Josh said he needed to go that it strongly suggested he had somewhere to be. That's all we know. And that perception could have been wrong. That perception could have been dead on. Right? We just don't know." BBM

text lifted from Simply Vanished | S1 E1 Music in the Night

disclaimer: now... some people may not like what i am about to do. and to that, i say; think outside the box. that's my speciality (if i have one!). thinking "inside" the box is not going to solve this, we need to make some (sensible) leaps of logic in order to figure out what happened

so that being said,...effectively...Josh said something along the lines of "I need to go" (don't quote this, I am summising from Eric's statement above!!!). its probably important not to read into it too much....but you guessed it,i am about to... because it could be critical

choice of words is important and the meaning behind them is fundamentally different. i "want" to go, is very different than i "would like" to go, which is different to i "am looking forward to going" to .... etc. you get the point.

to me (BBM), the word "need" implies that it has to be done...it's something that cannot wait for a long period of time, and must be attended to. I'd use that word when something is pretty damn necessary, for example; "i need to post that letter!"

the dictionary definition of the word "need" is "circumstances in which something is necessary, or that require some course of action; necessity."

so reading between the lines, summising and using some basic logical leaps of faith, with that statement Eric heard (and assuming i am understanding it correctly....), Josh likely felt like it was necessary for him to be somewhere. the statement tells me that it likely was not planned (as i say in #965).If it was a planned "date", the wording would have been more likely "im going to" or "i am meeting" etc etc

now, where would josh "need" to be. what would be (in his mind) necessary for him to do around midnight?

1) go to sleep? unlikely, bed doesnt seem important enough to give a vague description to your friends
2) get more beers? unlikely too, the netflix episode suggestedd that josh went back in to maur house to get more beers
3) to see a monk? fairly unlikely, but not impossible... i read monks bedtimes were not usually this late into the night (how true that is, i dont know, but the chances seem a little slim)
4) to go to katies place? - josh did have an invite earlier that evening. plus his best friend was over there. this seems plausible
5) for a midnight date - i dont give this idea much credence,i dont get the impression that josh was the kind of guy to have late night rendezvous,plus this would involve some planning rather than spontaneity
6) late night drive - netflix episode says joshs car didnt move during the night
7) return to maur house for any other reasons apart from sleep/beers? what else can you do at maur house? besides, greg and alex are already at the poker party...so they arent there. katie is at her place, josh best friend/room mate is out. going back to maur house seems fruitless, there wouldnt be too much "need" to be there

that is my thoughts on the statement Eric said on the podcast!

ok, I found it!

"he does specifically recall Josh implying that he had somewhere to be. The way that Eric described it is that there was something about the way that Josh said he needed to go that it strongly suggested he had somewhere to be. That's all we know. And that perception could have been wrong. That perception could have been dead on. Right? We just don't know." BBM

text lifted from Simply Vanished | S1 E1 Music in the Night

disclaimer: now... some people may not like what i am about to do. and to that, i say; think outside the box. that's my speciality (if i have one!). thinking "inside" the box is not going to solve this, we need to make some (sensible) leaps of logic in order to figure out what happened

so that being said,...effectively...Josh said something along the lines of "I need to go" (don't quote this, I am summising from Eric's statement above!!!). its probably important not to read into it too much....but you guessed it,i am about to... because it could be critical

choice of words is important and the meaning behind them is fundamentally different. i "want" to go, is very different than i "would like" to go, which is different to i "am looking forward to going" to .... etc. you get the point.

to me (BBM), the word "need" implies that it has to be done...it's something that cannot wait for a long period of time, and must be attended to. I'd use that word when something is pretty damn necessary, for example; "i need to post that letter!"

the dictionary definition of the word "need" is "circumstances in which something is necessary, or that require some course of action; necessity."

so reading between the lines, summising and using some basic logical leaps of faith, with that statement Eric heard (and assuming i am understanding it correctly....), Josh likely felt like it was necessary for him to be somewhere. the statement tells me that it likely was not planned (as i say in #965).If it was a planned "date", the wording would have been more likely "im going to" or "i am meeting" etc etc

now, where would josh "need" to be. what would be (in his mind) necessary for him to do around midnight?

1) go to sleep? unlikely, bed doesnt seem important enough to give a vague description to your friends
2) get more beers? unlikely too, the netflix episode suggestedd that josh went back in to maur house to get more beers
3) to see a monk? fairly unlikely, but not impossible... i read monks bedtimes were not usually this late into the night (how true that is, i dont know, but the chances seem a little slim)
4) to go to katies place? - josh did have an invite earlier that evening. plus his best friend was over there. this seems plausible
5) for a midnight date - i dont give this idea much credence,i dont get the impression that josh was the kind of guy to have late night rendezvous,plus this would involve some planning rather than spontaneity
6) late night drive - netflix episode says joshs car didnt move during the night
7) return to maur house for any other reasons apart from sleep/beers? what else can you do at maur house? besides, greg and alex are already at the poker party...so they arent there. katie is at her place, josh best friend/room mate is out. going back to maur house seems fruitless, there wouldnt be too much "need" to be there

that is my thoughts on the statement Eric said on the podcast!
Absolutely flawless logic as far as I can see. I have nothing worthwhile to add.
As far as I can tell, if Erik's statement is accurate, then it sounds like there was somewhat a sense of urgency about it, he "needs" to either go somewhere else, or he "needs" to leave the party. It was something that HAD to be done right then.

The only other interpretation doesn't hold up either. Needing to go could imply a bathroom break, however thats almost certainy not where Josh went!

i wonder.. after speakingg to a catholic couple i know,the guy i know was complaining to me about how he had to go and do "pastor street duty" aka "street pastor" work. when i asked what this was,he told me how churches around the world appoint church goers to work night shifts, usually 10pm - 4am offering support to people who are drunk or suspected of being drunk... whilst on duty, they assist the drunk person home, offer a ride etc etc you get the idea

i wonder...did st johns have anyone like this on campus who would volunteer weekend shifts to help students return safely to their dorms ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back