Found Deceased MN- Julian Daniel Decoux, 34, Duluth, St. Louis County, May 2019 *Vulnerable Adult

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by doodles1211, May 19, 2019.

1. doodles1211

doodles1211 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Incident Date: 5-5-19
    Incident Time: 4:15PM
    Incident location: 5700 Block Lavaque Rd in Canosia Township

Name: Julian Daniel Decoux

Address: Duluth, MN

Incident Summary:
    On Sunday 5/5/2019, an adult foster care home in Canosia Township reported a resident was missing. Julian Daniel Decoux was last seen outside the home earlier in the afternoon. Staff members had searched for Decoux, but could not find him. Decoux has been a resident at the home for several years. Deputies and volunteers from the St. Louis County Sheriff's Office responded. A search of the area around the foster home was conducted, however, Decoux was not located. The search was aided by both canines and aerial drone technology.

Decoux has eloped from the house before, however, due to his current functioning level he would likely generate some type of public attention or 911 call. He has never been gone for this amount of time. Decoux is still missing and the Sheriff's Office is asking for help from anyone who may have seen Decoux or know where he is.

He was last seen wearing a bright green winter hat, an orange hooded sweatshirt, a black vest, black pants and new grey tennis shoes.

An additional search of the area around Decoux's home is also planned.

If you have any information, please contact 911 or the Sheriff's Office Investigative Division in Duluth 218-336-4350

Authority: Sgt. Wade Rasch 218-336-4347

Date: 5-8-19 Time: 10:45

Additional Information or Update:
    Aircraft from both the Minnesota State Patrol and Department of Homeland Security Customs and Border Protection have assisted in the search for Julian Decoux. He was last observed by two separate motorists walking south on the shoulder of Lavaque Rd on the afternoon of May 5th, 2019. He was wearing the above described clothing.

There is no specific information to indicate Decoux would begin to travel into the woods. However, the area along Lavaque Rd where Decoux was last observed has been extensively searched by air in the event he began to travel though forest or swamp.

Decoux remains a missing person and anyone with information is urged to call the Sheriff's Office Investigative Division in Duluth 218-336-4350

Authority: Sgt. Wade Rasch 218-336-4347

Date: 5/17/19 Time: 13:15

Update - Missing vulnerable adult from Canosia Township

2. ErinC

ErinC Active Member

Have family in Duluth- have passed along to them to share.

Dre and doodles1211 like this.
  3. doodles1211

Surprisingly I didn't find much about him missing except at the above link. There have been 3 adult males that would be considered "at risk" missing from group homes in the past few years up in that area. I think one was finally found deceased. One I don't think was found yet and then this. So very sad! There is probably more, but we just don't hear about them or I missed them in msm. I am from MN and actually worked in LE. They are getting better about putting missing persons in the news/social media, but still not as proactive in those areas as they should be. Of course my opinion only.

Dre and savagewoman like this.
  4. ErinC

ErinC Active Member

When I was looking at Google Maps trying to figure out where Lavaque Road was, I noticed it wasn't terribly far from Miller Hill mall. Wonder if he could have been trying to get to the mall and gotten lost maybe? It's been a minute since I've been up there in person, but I remember underbrush in between that area and the mall that they might want to look into :(

Dre likes this.
  5. doodles1211

6. ErinC

ErinC Active Member

What I don't get- they say that his behavior would have marked him as being notably mentally disabled. And apparently at least two motorists saw him walking down the road. Yet no one thought to stop and make sure he was OK and/or have LE check on him? ARGH.

doodles1211 likes this.
  7. doodles1211

No motorist probably could tell by just looking at him that they should maybe stop and check on him. And, these days, unless you know a subject, most probably wouldn't stop for anyone just walking down the road. I really hope he is okay!

8. iulia

iulia Well-Known Member

9. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

ugh, your heart just sinks seeing that article in your post, @iulia... foul play not suspected it says already... exposure I guess... or was he hit by a car and left for dead? I hope there are people who knew and loved this man - I hope he knew love, whatever that looked like for him... very sad.

iulia, perfectingpink and doodles1211 like this.
  10. CocoChanel

CocoChanel Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Heartbreaking!
    I imagine anyone who might have seen him walking down the road would not have had the thought that he might need help.
    Anything short of a lockdown situation is inherently risky for people with intellectual disabilities, but the UPside risk of a least restrictive environment generally outweighs the downside risk. The report that he had eloped before increases that downside risk. Gosh it is a difficult balance providing the opportunity for a full life while trying to insure our vulnerable ones are safe, healthy and happy. May Mr. Decoux rest in eternal peace. I pray he was not the victim of a crime.

iulia and human like this.
  11. MamaSam

MamaSam New Member

I know the family. This man is so loved and they miss him so very much. It is such a sad story.