CATCH THE LATEST WEBSLEUTHS RADIO AS WE LOOK INTO THE TERRIFYING WORLD OF MEDICAL SERIAL KILLERS
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

MN - Paynesville Late 80s Sexual Assaults

Discussion in 'Jacob Wetterling' started by Fukiyama, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Fukiyama

Fukiyama Active Member

Eleven cases and counting... from [joy.the.curious] is a good summary of what has been tracked down by Joy Baker through research and by seeking out those who were assaulted or on whom assaults were attempted.

All the assaults took place in and around Paynesville, Minnesota during the late 1980s.

The following is a list of incidents from Joy's blog.

• March 9, 1986 – Attempted drive-by abduction of 12 year old boy near G&T Foods
    • June 1986 – Three kids playing hide-n-seek at middle school playground, Town & Country Days
    • August 1986 – By the river? At the middle school playground?
    • November 30, 1986 – Alley between the middle school and hospital
    • February 14, 1987 – Ben Franklin, downtown, 122 West James Street
    • Spring 1987 – By the river? At the middle school playground?
    • May 17, 1987 – By the hockey rink at the Catholic church, two boys riding bikes
    • Summer 1987 – By the river #2, camping incident, man spying on group of boys
    • September, 1987 – By the river #3, man in parka with orange lining, Lyndall Avenue
    • Late 80s or early 90s – Boy chased from middle school to his aunt/uncle’s house
    Plus the one Joy details in the linked blog post to make eleven.

These assaults may or may not be associated with the case of Jacob Wetterling.

2. chaplain1

chaplain1 New Member

Does le have a similar list? I've heard rumors that these attacks do not comprise many victims, anybody know?

3. Fukiyama

Fukiyama Active Member

I assume LE has a list of reported assaults. As Joy points out at her blog, quite a few of the incidents went unreported due to a child being chased, but not assaulted, so the parents blew it off.

4. chaplain1

chaplain1 New Member

How many assaults?

5. Fukiyama

Fukiyama Active Member

I don't know off the top of my head. Have you read the relevant blog posts at Joy's blog? You can probably do the math as I think she notes when describing the incidents which ones were actually reported and which ones weren't.

6. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Any MSM accounts?

7. bessie

bessie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Wetterling investigators take fresh look at similar cases

Jacob Wetterling abduction site focus of search
    Video report May 14, 2014

New Developments Revealed In Jacob Wetterling Abduction Case

New London Blogger Suggests Link Between Wetterling Abduction, Paynesville Incidents
    Abduction Victim Speaks Out On Wetterling Case
    My post copied from the Jacob Wetterling media thread.

8. chaplain1

chaplain1 New Member

Has anyone spoken to le? There are rumors that these incidents all happened to two related children.

9. Richard

Richard Well-Known Member

10. Fukiyama

Fukiyama Active Member

Thank you for bringing over those links, bessie.

11. chaplain1

chaplain1 New Member

Is anyone investigating these case?

12. kemo

kemo Well-Known Member

These assaults are being investigated as part of the Jacob Wetterling investigation. There is a very active thread in the Missing but not Forgotten; 1980's section of WS. It is worth checking out.

13. Fukiyama

Fukiyama Active Member

This thread was originally requested in that thread. :)

14. chaplain1

chaplain1 New Member

I meant authorites, not WS

15. livstabler

livstabler Member

Paynesville victims recount painful attacks in the years before Wetterling was kidnapped

http://www.startribune.com/paynesvi...rs-before-wetterling-was-kidnapped/348576511/

“I felt like they abandoned us, like ‘who cares, you know, they’re a bunch of kids, they’ll get over it,’ ” Cole said. “But to tell you the truth, we haven’t.”

'Living in Paynesville then, with “a lurking, shadowy figure” on the loose, was terrifying, he said. The fear was made worse by the community’s indifference, he added. “I remember feeling like nobody would listen to us. Nobody was taking it seriously.” The school didn’t get involved, he said, and teachers said nothing.'

16. human

human Well-Known Member

People did not know about sexual abuse. When Jacob happened and I brought it up to people where I lived in rural MN, it was known about but an an accepted part of families that were considered undesirable. Just like domestic violence was considered to be family business and no concern of anyone else.

Jacob changed all of those ideas about child sexual abuse

17. Jbrown324320

Jbrown324320 Well-Known Member

Paynesville Assault victim wonders if Wetterling abduction could have been stopped

"It's something that sticks in your head. You never forget,” he recalled.

Cole explained that perhaps he never wants to know who exactly caused him so much pain. He remains frustrated that his community appeared to minimize the significance of the assaults when they were first reported, remembering people mockingly dubbing the attacker "Chester the Molester." With the Wetterlings still so desperate for answers a quarter century later, he wonders why police didn't do more to crack the Paynesville cluster in time to possibly stop a monster."

http://www.fox9.com/news/49908959-story

18. Jbrown324320

Jbrown324320 Well-Known Member

another interesting tidbit from the article above, the perp took a clipping of his hair and his stocking hat.

19. human

human Well-Known Member

Hindsight is 20 20. Even today women in the US struggle with reporting rape. Back then, it was considered that women were asking for it because of what they wore or where they went. If you saw recent ads for a Beer where they talk about saying, "No", and real rape talk by politicians, we see that 26 years later sex crimes are still an issue.

I think that sex crimes about children have gotten better, but look at the Catholic church and Sandusky, Look how upset people get over those victims bringing up their victimization. How about the Duggars?

26 years ago things were far worse looking at sex crimes. So, I am not surprised that nothing much happened

20. human

human Well-Known Member

Did the victims ever talk to the JW resource center or the Wetterlings back in 89 or 90?

It astounds me how many people knew things but there was no gossip out there except for untrue things about the Wetterling family