MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
One time when I was 17, I was driving and I heard a car horn beep at me. I looked over, and a cop driving along side me, yelled out his window, “Your tail light is out, get it fixed”. I nodded my head to him and drove on.

30 years later I got pulled over by three cop cars with lights and sirens for the exact same thing. They dragged me out of my car and handcuffed me. I had to stand there for 45 minutes while they searched my car for the drugs they thought I had. Finding none they wrote me a $10 fixit ticket, and let me go.

That is how much this country changed in 30 years. They used to serve and protect us. Now it is them against us.

I am so sorry this happened to you as it certainly sounds waaayyyy over the top and so not fair. How do you personally reconcile this in your head? And have experiences like this molded you into someone different than who you used to be?

As a middle aged white female, I can't imagine being in your shoes. What do you tell your children? And what do you think would help change this and keep it from happening?

I genuinely respect your opinion and thank you for sharing what you have. God Bless.

I am so sorry this happened to you as it certainly sounds waaayyyy over the top and so not fair. How do you personally reconcile this in your head? And have experiences like this molded you into someone different than who you used to be?

As a middle aged white female, I can't imagine being in your shoes. What do you tell your children? And what do you think would help change this and keep it from happening?

I genuinely respect your opinion and thank you for sharing what you have. God Bless.

30 years ago I was stopped for my phone number by LE in Boston and that ticked me off. I can't imagine being treated like a criminal and handcuffed for a broken tail light. Good grief, this world is spinning out of control. We need another 60's peace/love revolution IMO.

Yesterday, I had questions about rendering first aid to someone that has been shot by an LEO. I saw on ABC Nightly News a short clip of some officers doing CPR on the victim.

I am just so sorry this happened and the subsequent events in Dallas are just too much. I wish I could offer a solution and wave a magic wand so that none of this transpired.

I really appreciate so many of the views and experiences shared here.

I can’t find a specific link (4 hours of congressional hearings) but I listened to Rep. John Lewis’, of Georgia additional remarks on the recent black shootings at the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee with FBI Director, on July 7. This was before the Dallas shootings happened later that night (last night).

Rep. Lewis said his wife woke up that morning in tears at the latest news of the young woman who along with her child watched her boyfriend die in a traffic stop, said that he had good and difficult relations with LE on so many different levels in his lifetime, but emphasized that in his lifetime as a black man he has been stopped 50 million times. He was imploring the FBI Director to have his department take a closer look.

It is a trickle up effect we are in need of; elected officials, leaders of law enforcement, civil rights, educators, and healthcare to all have a closer look at a growing crisis.

In a traffic stop, an innocent motorist is about 30 times more likely to be killed by the LEO, then the LEO is to be killed by the motorist. It’s the citizen that has a right to worry about being shot. The cop has a bullet proof vest on. It’s almost impossible to kill him. The citizen on the other hand has no protection, what so ever.

There are five deceased LE in Dallas who would beg to differ with your opinion that "It's almost impossible to kill him".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t find a specific link (4 hours of congressional hearings) but I listened to Rep. John Lewis’, of Georgia additional remarks on the recent black shootings at the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee with FBI Director, on July 7. This was before the Dallas shootings happened later that night (last night).

Rep. Lewis said his wife woke up that morning in tears at the latest news of the young woman who along with her child watched her boyfriend die in a traffic stop, said that he had good and difficult relations with LE on so many different levels in his lifetime, but emphasized that in his lifetime as a black man he has been stopped 50 million times. He was imploring the FBI Director to have his department take a closer look.

It is a trickle up effect we are in need of; elected officials, leaders of law enforcement, civil rights, educators, and healthcare to all have a closer look at a growing crisis.

BBM

50 million times?

That's 1800 times each day starting at birth.

Over the top, exaggerated rhetoric does not help his cause.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Officers in Europe do not carry guns.

I know this post will land out of sequence, but wanted to respond. I'm currently in Spain. Every single police officer (government, military, and local police), are all carrying weapons, which I'm pretty certain are loaded. I've seen many rifles and holstered pistols all over, from the airports to tourist areas, as well as local shopping and pedestrian avenues. Even motorbike cops on Vespa scooters. The only ones I've seen who are NOT carrying pistols or rifles are private security guards, who are technically not police officers. They all have Billy clubs and holstered machetes of approx 18" blade length. They keep a hand on the holstered machete grip at all times The security guards also appear to have sophisticated handheld stun weapons. Often local police (armed) are also at locations with private security. (Especially cathedrals.)

So in my recent experience, all police in the countries I've visited in Europe have all had visible weapons. Holstered pistols, but if they have a rifle, they hold it. I have no doubts that they are loaded, as well. I feel much safer with that level of armed presence, and both locals and tourists don't even seem to notice the weapons here. Certainly no one was visibly afraid or freaked out. But I'm ex-military, so I'm not freaked out by police with weapons.

I saw the same level of weapon carry in Hungary, Germany, Austria, Poland, and the Czech Republic a few months ago, as well.

And now, as 5 police officers lay dead in Dallas, there will be more "panicked" officers. A vicious circle if you ask me.
It is :(

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

There are five deceased LE in Dallas who would beg to differ with your opinion that "It's almost impossible to kill him".

Different situation. Why compare the two?

Where is the link to anything saying Castille had robbed a store? Everything I've read says his record is clean and he was a model citizen. Not to mention even if he did, the penalty for robbery is not death without arrest, charge, or trial.

Different situation. Why compare the two?

Where is the link to anything saying Castille had robbed a store? Everything I've read says his record is clean and he was a model citizen. Not to mention even if he did, the penalty for robbery is not death without arrest, charge, or trial.

I was responding to another poster's quote that it's impossible to kill a police officer. I said NOTHING in reference to Castile.

I was responding to another poster's quote that it's impossible to kill a police officer. I said NOTHING in reference to Castile.

But they were specifically referring to traffic stops.

"Originally Posted by Gardenista Starting at about 45 seconds, it looks like he may have a gun in his lap, but it is hard to tell if it is a gun or maybe his belt. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=396_1467864290"

It could be a cell phone.

Yes, agreeing w both. Could be gun, belt, or cell.
Or maybe a wallet, a bi-fold, w the fold/crease on top, letting us see it open a teensy bit. Maybe not.

If Mr Castile had reached for & retrieved his wallet, it might have ended up there on his leg, almost under his arm. IDK.

JM2cts.

Stopped 52 times by police: Was it racial profiling?

When Philando Castile saw the flashing lights in his rearview mirror, it wasn’t unusual. He had been pulled over at least 52 times in recent years in and around the Twin Cities and given citations for minor offenses including speeding, driving without a muffler and not wearing a seat belt.

He was assessed at least $6,588 in fines and fees, although more than half of the total 86 violations were dismissed, court records show.

Was Castile an especially bad driver or just unlucky? Or was he targeted by officers who single out black motorists like him for such stops, as several of his family members have alleged?

<snip>

No recent information is available on the racial breakdown of drivers stopped or ticketed by police in Falcon Heights, the mostly white suburb where the shooting occurred, or in other Minnesota towns. Minnesota is not among the handful of states that require police to keep such data.

But in 2001, the Legislature asked for a racial profiling study and it fell to Kearney, then at the Institute on Race & Poverty at the University of Minnesota Law School, to conduct it. His study, using information supplied voluntarily by 65 law enforcement jurisdictions in the state, found a strong likelihood that racial and ethnic bias played a role in traffic stop policies and practices. Overall, officers stopped minority drivers at greater rates than whites and searched them at greater rates, but found contraband in those searches at lower rates than whites.

The analysis found the pattern was more pronounced in suburban areas. In Fridley, New Hope, Plymouth, Sauk Rapids and Savage combined, blacks were stopped about 310 percent more often than expected.

<snip>

Valerie Castile said she thinks her son “was just black in the wrong place.” Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton said he did not believe it would have happened to a white motorist.​

RIP Philando.
May justice come soon for you.

That other guy? The criminal pedophile? I have no words...

FOX news reporting that the gun was visible on his lap. waiting for it to surface in print.

&#8220;He didn&#8217;t give us the opportunity before he let off a round,&#8221; Reynolds said. &#8220;He asked us for license and registration. He killed him for no reason.&#8221;

http://www.twincities.com/2016/07/0...ooting-i-wanted-everyone-in-the-world-to-see/

If I would have moved while that gun was out, he would have shot me, too.

bbm, looks like the gun was out.

If the gun was out as he was reaching towards his pocket.. ? I don't know what esle he could have done but shoot. jmo idk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks