MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
When are police trained to fire their weapon into a car with a child in the back seat?

When are police trained to fire their weapon into a car with a child in the back seat?

Maybe but I'm not sure---but the answer may be when a passenger has a weapon & they're reaching into their pockets where the weapon is? Like I said, I'm not LE but this may or may not be their protocol?

Moo

being in a park after hours is a BIG driver of crime in that high crime neighborhood I am on the border of.. Aint nothing good happens in this city's parks after dark and I mean nothing...

I agree with that, but are there some other solutions?

Good question. Though I guess we're lucky the child was in the back seat and not shot instead of or in addition to. JMO

i live on the edge of a neighborhood that is high crime. It is not Chicago no, but it is high crime and I most definitely want a police officer around, thank you very much. So please try your little experiments somewhere not close to my city.

The idea would be to have police in your neighborhood which seems to work, but a different approach in the neighborhood adjacent to you. It would not affect you would it?

If Black lives Matter, who are asking for some new approaches to problems, then Blue Lives Matter should have some different ideas on how to keep them safer.

This is an excellent explanation of community policing from Lincoln, Nebraska.

http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/police/cbp.htm

perhaps the most misunderstood and frequently abused theme in police management during this decade. In the past few years, it has become fashionable for police agencies to initiate community policing, often with little notion of what that phrase means. Indeed, all manner of organizational tinkering has been labeled community policing. But community policing is not a program.

Instead, community policing is a value system which permeates a police department, in which the primary organizational goal is working cooperatively with individual citizens, groups of citizens, and both public and private organizations to identify and resolve issues which potentially effect the livability of specific neighborhoods, areas, or the city as a whole. Community-based police departments recognize the fact that the police cannot effectively deal with such issues alone, and must partner with others who share a mutual responsibility for resolving problems. Community policing stresses prevention, early identification, and timely intervention to deal with issues before they become unwieldy problems. Individual officers tend to function as general-purpose practitioners who bring together both government and private resources to achieve results. Officers are encouraged to spend considerable time and effort in developing and maintaining personal relationships with citizens, businesses, schools, and community organizations. Here are some other common features of community policing:

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/news/ci_26482775/use-deadly-force-by-police-disappears-richmond-streets

shootings nationwide, most notably the killing of a black teen in Ferguson, Missouri, has stoked intense scrutiny of deadly force by officers and driven a series of demonstrations across the nation and the Bay Area. But in Richmond, historically one of the most violent cities in the Bay Area, the Police Department has averaged fewer than one officer-involved shooting per year since 2008, and no one has been killed by a cop since 2007.

Richmond Police Department detective Mauricio Canelo left, as a civilian driver, shoots at Richmond police officer Enrik Melgoza with an airsoft pistol during a car stop exercise at the Richmond Police Department headquarters in Richmond, Calif., on Friday, Aug. 22, 2014. (Ray Chavez/Bay Area News Group)
That track record stands in sharp contrast to many other law enforcement agencies in the region, according to a review of data compiled from individual departments.

Many observers and police officials attribute Richmond's relatively low rate of deadly force to reforms initiated under Chief Chris Magnus, who took over a troubled department in this city of 106,000 in 2006. Magnus implemented a variety of programs to reduce the use of lethal force, including special training courses, improved staffing deployments to crisis situations, thorough reviews of all uses of force and equipping officers with nonlethal weapons such as Tasers and pepper spray

"Our officers are used to dealing with individuals who are dangerous and, often, armed," Magnus said. "It's not an aberration -- the scary and challenging is routine -- and I think that gives them the familiarity to know what level of force to apply."

In Oakland, population 400,000, 33 people were shot by police from 2008 to 2013, 20 of them fatally. In San Pablo, which borders Richmond but is less than one-third its size, four people were shot by police, two fatally.

Here in Charlotte there was a town hall like meeting of sorts today between LE and the community. LE listened to citizens and vice versa. I think from watching it, a lot of good can come from these. There was a young woman who said she was afraid of the police, and an officer offered to let her ride along with him and see what he does. It's a start, so I'll take it. Both sides are trying to open dialogue and work together. It was a good thing, IMO.

I agree with that, but are there some other solutions?

Move the methadone clinic away from the neighborhood would be one thing that would help no freaking doubt...also chase the gangs off pretty please. I'm sure they'll quit their 'banging if you just ask them nicely.

You can come up with all the ideas you want, but ain't no way i am signing onto any project that rids my city of police. No. Way.

The NY Times article, well its nice if it works and all but I am sorry if I am just a tad resentful...I have two college graduate sons who have student loans in the tens of thousands of dollars because I could not afford to help them in any way except to give them a roof over their head. They attended public schools, have tech degrees. One has a great job one has been out of work since he graduated in December. So what do they get, as kids of single mother of not much means get for being good boys? Huge debt, that's what...

The NY Times article, well its nice if it works and all but I am sorry if I am just a tad resentful...I have two college graduate sons who have student loans in the tens of thousands of dollars because I could not afford to help them in any way except to give them a roof over their head. They attended public schools, have tech degrees. One has a great job one has been out of work since he graduated in December. So what do they get, as kids of single mother of not much means get for being good boys? Huge debt, that's what...

I understand your resentment. Your boys have you, who sounds supporting and rallying behind your kids. The young people these programs are meant for, don't usually have the supportive parents or peer group. I think that's where the problem lies. These communities are drug and crime ridden with little to no hope of escaping if someone isn't there to mentor and give them a head start to get out and follow a different path. No one is making them finish school, let alone co-sign for student loans.
Again, I totally get where you are coming from, and I have expressed concerns like this in the past too, but after some volunteer work in the city, it's almost like a different world in some places. These kids need a hand, and it seems to be working. Meanwhile, my kids may have student debt, but they aren't high risk of being a shooting statistic. JMO, and it has changed as I've gotten older and see more places and people not within my bubble.

My kids have huge student debt as well and except for my son who is an engineer, work in public service. Your son may have to move to a new location. Minnesota has lots of jobs.

Better to spend the money in that initiative than for funerals, incarceration, and social services. To me, it is an amazing story and does not take away from my kids .

Maybe but I'm not sure---but the answer may be when a passenger has a weapon & they're reaching into their pockets where the weapon is? Like I said, I'm not LE but this may or may not be their protocol?

Moo

He was the driver, not the passenger. Also, there is no evidence that says that he was reaching for a weapon, or where said weapon was located.

If Black lives Matter, who are asking for some new approaches to problems, then Blue Lives Matter should have some different ideas on how to keep them safer.

While Blue Lives Matter believes that black lives also matter, they are a separate movement with separate goals. The 'BLUELM' goals are not just about keeping communities safer for everyone though that is certainly a huge part of it. They have also worked hard to dispel myths and vile and false rhetoric that thwarts the efforts of well-meaning people of ALL sides to reduce violence in our cities - violence that claims the lives of both citizens and police officers far too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member