NOTGUILTY MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by MzOpinion8d, Jul 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaaBoom

KaaBoom `·.¸¸ ><((((º> ...·´`·.¸¸ ><((((º>...·

Your logic is flawed. First Philando Castile didn’t commit any crime. You can’t shoot and kill innocent people just because they come from a community with a high crime rate. That is nothing but discrimination. The crime rate has been going down (including the black community), but the number of people being shot and killed by the police is going up. So the crime rate in the black community is just a smokescreen to divert attention from the real issue. BLM should never discuss it. It is not relevant.

This is 100% a civil rights movement. People have a constitutional right to due process. If the person has committed a crime, then they should be arrested for it, not killed by police officers. Seeing that black people are not discriminated against and killed by police because of racial profiling, is probably the single most important civil rights movement, that has ever been fought.

2. Tillicum

Tillicum Well-Known Member

3. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

Police chief:
    Diamond Lavish and media reporting of the shooting have no basis in reality:

[video=cnn;us/2016/07/13/philando-castile-medical-attention-police-rosa-flores-pkg-nd.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/13/us/police-shootings-investigations/index.html[/video]

4. Gardenista

Black people are less likely to be shot by police

http://www.nber.org/papers/w22399.pdf

5. galiuro

galiuro Member

Given that they would have to get jobs in order to become these productive members of society, something that a whole bunch of already law abiding people have trouble doing, not seeing how well this is going to work once they are off the dole.

6. bluesneakers

bluesneakers not today satan

From the conclusion:

7. Irish_Eyes

Irish_Eyes Well-Known Member

Saying someone finds a statement offensive does not mean that they don't support people exercising their First Amendment rights. In fact, the things that no one finds offensive are generally the things that don't need First Amendment protection because they go unchallenged. There is an old quote, loosely translated as "I disagree with what you say but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Even your quote of the woman who wanted to abolish the police is only part of what she said. But regardless, "abolish the police, period" is itself a pretty clear statement.

8. bluesneakers

:goodpost:

9. Irish_Eyes

So much more of a rational position in those comments you posted than I've seen from too many public figures. But he's an academic, so he's not trying to write clickbait articles or get elected or use these tragedies as cover to vent pre-existing biases, etc.

10. Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief New Member

Traffic stops are one of the best tools LE has. Many notorious criminals have been caught because an officer did his job and stopped a car Timothy J. McVeigh. Ted Bundy , terrorists and thousands of other criminals. My point is its necessary. MOO

11. human

human Well-Known Member

No safer way as this is one of the major ways LE dies? No concerns about that? Too bad? They signed up for the job so if they die, that's the way it is?

12. Irish_Eyes

I don't know enough about this incident to know what happened. I do not believe that Castile committed a crime at all. I thought his girlfriend's statements had some ring of truth for me, which I know is subjective for everyone, but still. That was just my take. But I could be wrong and we should wait for all the facts to come out.

Ending slavery, and Jim Crow, which probably resulted in the loss of more black lives in any one year than every cop-related death since combined, those were important civil rights movements. Ending practices that allowed Indian children to be removed from their families and cultures and placed in boarding schools that were more like institutions or prisons, that was a pretty important civil rights struggle. So has been the struggle to implement protections for women from domestic violence - and actually making it, you know, a CRIME, to assault your wife, who is NOT your property - that is an important and ongoing struggle as well.

I support efforts that reduce violence regardless of who that violence is directed at. I don't support narratives that say Muslims are terrorists, Mexicans are rapists, cops are racist killers, or other such factually false things that only exist to direct animosity towards the "other." Those statements are incompatible with support for civil rights.

13. Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief New Member

That discussion would have to be with Law Enforcement Agencies since that is their procedure.

14. KaaBoom

Ignoring the problem is not going to make it go away. Blacks are twice as likely as whites to be shot by the police. They are 12% of the population, but 24% of the police shooting victims.

More important though are some of the statistics. Young black men are 21 times as likely as their white peers to be killed by police.

Deadly Force, in Black and White A ProPublica analysis of killings by police shows outsize risk for young black males.

15. bluesneakers

From Move Over, America:

More than 150 U.S. law enforcement officers have been killed since 1999 after being struck by vehicles along America's highways, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund. To lower that deadly toll, a new coalition of traffic safety and law enforcement groups is launching a nationwide public awareness campaign to protect emergency personnel along our nation's roadsides.

The site says there were 10 fatalities in 2014, and 134 total from 2005 to 2014.

Causes of law enforcement deaths:
    http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatalities-data/causes.html

http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

16. Gardenista

I'll stick with the study that was just released this month.

17. bluesneakers

Exactly. And trying to dismiss it with claims of "It's not that bad" won't make it go away either. However bad it is is bad enough. It's bad and if everyone's lives matter we should all be trying to fix this problem. JMO

18. KaaBoom

Faux News, probably took the comment out of context, but here is her entire quote anyway.

"Here are the solutions. We need to abolish the police, period. Demilitarize the police, disarm the police, and we need to come up with community solutions for transformative justice,”.

They are advocating disarming, demilitarizing and disbanding the police and implementing some undefined community policing solution. In the current climate, I fail to see how that is a more dangerous solution then continuing on the current path to endless cycles of police violence followed by civil unrest, which has been going on for at least the last 25 years.

19. bluesneakers

Nearly half of people arrested in area where Philando Castile died are black

Much more:

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...ea-where-philando-castile-died-are-black.html

20. KaaBoom

I deleted that part of the post because as soon as I posted it, I realized that I didn&#8217;t fully understand the context of the OPs post. That said I have a hard time understanding how someone could be offended by someone expressing a solution for trying to end a spiral of police violence that is tearing the country apart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.