MO MO - Aaron Duenke, Floating Down Missouri River on Large Slab of Ice, Washington, 27 Dec 2022

YaYa_521

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
SBM
Aaron Duenke was last seen floating down the Missouri River on a large slab of ice Dec. 27, 2022 near Washington, Missouri located about 55 miles west of St. Louis. He was photographed and captured on video by people who saw him riding the current in frigid temperatures.

FB page set up by Aaron's family. - Aaron Duenke Search Efforts

321966114_494871849395216_406088019237266568_n.jpg

SBM
He frequently used the river for recreation. [snip] "He was just kind of a thrill seeker," Aaron's brother Curtis Duenke tells 5 On Your Side, "that's what he did you know. He did this last year, he told me and I was like, yeah that sounds just like ya. Be careful."

SBM

The report of a body being spotted in the river's channel sparked great interest in Franklin County and elsewhere in the region as some expressed hope on social media that it could be the body of Kenny Lee Loudermilk or Aaron Duenke. [Snip] ...multiple search teams have combed the area of the river where the barge worker spotted the body but to no avail.

SBM
Duenke was supposed to meet family members near Hinckley Bend, which is east of Washington, around 3:30 p.m. on Dec. 27. It is believed that he entered the river at Dundee, which is a few miles west of Washington.

I won't link as it's not an approved news source but if you google his name, there are a couple of videos taken from shore showing a man standing on the ice on the river that day as it flows past. The water is fairly fast moving

I won't link as it's not an approved news source but if you google his name, there are a couple of videos taken from shore showing a man standing on the ice on the river that day as it flows past. The water is fairly fast moving
TY for posting this. I forgot to mention when I created the thread that there is a TikTok video embedded in the article linked in the OP. Likely it's the same one you've described.

Here is the article's link again:

Watching that video, my first thought was how fun it looks :D ... but then I realized that one little collision with a log or another chunk of ice could throw you off balance, and suddenly you're in freezing-cold water. :( The ice you're standing on could break apart as well, with the same results. In the video, it looks to me like there's a more solid sheet of ice running along the far bank. It seems like it would be so easy for a person to get swept underneath the ice sheet by the current. I'm guessing it would be difficult to find that person until the ice melts. :(

Hopefully he's somewhere safe and warm. He sure seems like an interesting, adventure-loving, well-liked guy.

And hopefully the "fun"-looking video doesn't inspire anyone else to try this! :oops:

All I could find for him outside of Facebook was an arrest in 2020 for domestic assault Man Charged With Domestic Assault. And more Court info regarding the same (2nd-degree felony charges). https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.tow...11ea-a00e-97c564c7fe7c/5efb72e295c13.file.pdf. If you look at the actual court records for the case (20AB-CR00505-01) he is scheduled for a jury trial on criminal charges related to the incident on March 29, 2023. (info under "docket entries" for the case) https://www.courts.mo.gov/cnet/name...ame=Aaron&middleName=&caseType=All&yearFiled=

1709955626875.png
pic of him on day he went missing :(

Duenke was last seen standing on a chunk of ice that was floating in the Missouri River near Washington, Missouri on December 27, 2022. He had his orange carbon fiber paddle, a water bottle, a green dry bag and a black crate of supplies with him. He was not in apparent distress at the time, and no one saw him go into the river itself.

He was supposed to be picked up downstream, but never arrived at the designated spot. He has never been heard from again. A photo of Duenke on the ice is posted with this case summary.

According to his family, Duenke was very familiar with the river and often used it for recreation. An extensive search of the area turned up no sign of him. He left behind two children. Duenke is presumed deceased, but his remains have never been found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11
Back