MO MO - Betty Alexander, 69, Sullivan, 11 April 2019

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by doodles1211, Apr 14, 2019.

1. inmyhumbleopinion

inmyhumbleopinion #NeverGivingUp

POSTED 9:43 PM, APRIL 26, 2019

“SULLIVAN, Mo - Betty Alexander has been missing for more than 2 weeks. The family of the 69-year-old mother of 3 says she’s lived a quiet life and rarely ventured far from home. She was last seen at her Sullivan, Mo apartment on April 11th.

Family, friends and caring community members came together for a candlelight vigil on the apartment complex parking lot Friday night. They prayed for a break in the case.

[SBM]

Family and friends have conducted multiple searches in Sullivan but have not found any signs of their loved one. [Alexander’s daughter Tonya] Tolliver said, ‘I will not give up until we find her.’ She’s asking everyone to share her story and to be on the lookout for her mother.

[SBM]”
    Attendees of candlelight vigil for missing Sullivan woman pray for break in case

2. inmyhumbleopinion

Published: 6:50 PM CDT April 26, 2019
    Updated: 6:50 PM CDT April 26, 2019

“SULLIVAN, Mo. — Betty Alexander has been missing since April 11. With every day that goes by, the family just wants answers on where she might be.

Betty's daughter, Tonya Tolliver, is desperately searching for her mother. ‘It's been over two weeks and we haven't come up with anything. There haven't been any leads whatsoever. We have no clues to go off,’ Tolliver said.

Tolliver said that Betty does have early stages of dementia, they don't believe it has played a role in her going missing.

Tolliver said that if you haven't seen her lately, Betty may look different. ‘She did have a major hairstyle change, so she does look different and she has lost quite a bit of weight.” (BBM)

[SBM]”
    'There haven't been any leads'; Sullivan woman still missing

Poor Betty ... :(.

3. inmyhumbleopinion

Under a post from Wednesday, the admin. (Betty’s daughter, I believe) commented:

“Yes, her apartment can be locked from the inside without a key. Her keys were found in her purse in the apartment.”

“Her glasses and purse with all of her contents including her apartment keys were left behind”
    Bring Betty Home

Her poor daughter :(. Where are you, Betty?

4. slowpoke

slowpoke Well-Known Member

I see the family is discounting the dementia factor in Betty’s disappearance, but I still wonder if sadly it could have been more advanced than they thought. On the Bring Betty Home page, the admin (daughter, I presume) stated, “She didn’t have a cell phone because she couldn’t figure out how to work one.” Age 69 really isn’t that old and I think a great majority of people that age have cell phones and use them.

The daughter has said something to the effect that the mom took minimal meds for her dementia and said the dr told her it wouldn’t make much of a noticeable if she did not take it, that she would only mix up a name or forget a name occasionally. I feel like mixing up or forgetting a name—if that were all—would not be indicative of dementia, but rather normal age cognitive decline. For the dr to prescribe meds, I feel like maybe there must have been more symptoms.

So, I still think the possibility of her wandering off could be a possibility.

Another fact I learned from reading the comments the daughter has written on the BBH (Bring Betty Home) page is that her dad (Betty’s husband) just passed away quite recently, on 12/23/18! She wrote:
    “Dad was always the one who had the cell phone and he passed away 2 days before Christmas.” and elsewhere, “Dad just passed away 2 days before this Christmas and I have been coping with that and then now this.” So, Betty is a recent widow and was having to cope with that, too.
    A factor in her disappearance somehow , too?

I have more thoughts, but I’ll end this post here. Hoping along with you all that Betty is found very soon.

5. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

Attached Files:

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Betty looks like such a lovely, kind woman. With no other leads, I, too, think her dementia may have been more advanced than was thought. Praying for dear Betty.

Bugurl747, StarEyes, Dre and 4 others like this.
  7. PommyMommy

MAY 1, 2019 - Article includes a 1:14 min audio file

69-year-old Betty Alexander Missing From Sullivan
    A Sullivan, Missouri woman has been missing for three weeks. Her family says there are still no leads on her disappearance. They’re reaching out to media across the state in an effort to find her.

[...]

Alexander’s daughter, TT, told KSMU that her mother was beginning to show early signs of dementia but it had not progressed enough for them to believe it played a factor in her disappearance.

[...]

[​IMG]
    This Photoshop illustration depicts what Betty Alexander would look like without her glasses. CREDIT BRING BETTY HOME / FACEBOOK.COM

“As far as the searches, we’ve had canine teams come in… I think we’ve had six different teams so far, searches by helicopter, by drone, also using infrared, and they have come up with nothing,” TT said.

[...]

8. PommyMommy

APR 29 Update Bring Betty Home
    • Unfortunately, they have no leads in the case.
    • They are working on a map to narrow down potential search areas.
    • The entire town of Sullivan and much of the wooded areas have been covered.
    • Let them know any areas you have searched so they can mark it on the map.
    • Please double check sheds and outbuildings.

Bugurl747, Laughing, StarEyes and 3 others like this.
  9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Thinking of Betty.

Bugurl747, StarEyes, slowpoke and 3 others like this.
  10. slowpoke

slowpoke Well-Known Member

Update from Bring Betty Home
    There’s also a new flyer for her. I note that it states “ She may have been wearing black slip on klogs and a black fleece coat.”

11. Midmissourimom

Midmissourimom Active Member

Every few months I am drawn into a missing person case. I find the dialogue around this case on facebook and here a little different. Some of my comments were deleted that had timeline information listed. Does anyone find that strange? I am not seeing any real thoughts about what could have happened to Betty, which is typical in a case like this. The case is being monitored and moderated by family very closely. In order to dig deep into this, I feel there has to be more discussion. With that being said, I have found a couple of statements made by the family that do not match up. My post with the original screenshots were deleted.

Cagle, StarEyes, Tripod and 2 others like this.
  12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

We aren't allowed to post screenshots from social media here, and family is always treated as victims in any case, unless there are official links to suggest otherwise- links to mainstream media outlets or law enforcement. It's always a good idea to refresh ourselves on TOS, and/or ask a mod if ever in doubt :) I do agree this case needs more discussion! Praying for Betty.

13. PommyMommy

Bring Betty Home
    May 6 - Another donation has increased the reward to $3,000.

Bugurl747, StarEyes, Dre and 5 others like this.
  14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Praying for Betty.

15. StarEyes

StarEyes Well-Known Member

Oh, no....dementia. My Dad has early dementia. After spending a week visiting my parents, it’s much worse than I had thought. He can be very normal and in a breath, he thinks I’m my sister or he switches stories. It breaks/is breaking my freaking heart. Perhaps Betty’s family want to believe her mind isn’t very effected by the dementia. Maybe it isn’t...but, you never know from 1 second to the next with dementia. I can see how she may have had a time slip even. I hope they’ve thoroughly checked all the places she and her husband visited the most often. I’m SURE they have. We simply can’t predict dementia. It’s terrifying. I pray that they’ll bring Betty home soon. jmo

16. inmyhumbleopinion

May 5, 2019

“The family of missing Sullivan woman Betty Alexander, 69, are determining where to search next as police, volunteers and friends have canvassed the entire city of Sullivan and wooded areas.

[SBM]

Alexander’s daughter, Tonya Tolliver, told The Missourian her mother was last seen Wednesday, April 10, around 1:15 p.m. Alexander was at her apartment and had received a delivery from Sinks Pharmacy at that time.

She said the family discovered that Alexander took her medicine that night around 7 p.m., but did not take her medicine the following day. Tolliver said Alexander’s disappearance has been narrowed down to after 7 p.m. and before the morning of Thursday, April 11.

[SBM]

On Sunday, April 14, at 4:30 p.m. Tolliver stopped byher mother’s apartment in Center Street Apartments complex to pick up Alexander. She said Alexander did not answer her phone when she called as Tolliver was driving over.

When Tolliver arrived, the door was locked so she let herself in with a key.

‘When I walked in, I saw she had the Meals on Wheels sitting on her table,’ Tolliver said. ‘I picked up the milk to see if it was still cold, and it wasn’t, so I started looking around and I saw her glasses sitting on the arm of her recliner.’

She added that it is unusual for her mother to leave the house without her glasses. She saw Alexander’s purse was left inside a closet that has her wallet, medications, her apartment key, her nondriver’s license and other belongings.

‘Nothing in the house has been touched,’ Tolliver said.

Alexander has beginning stages of dementia and takes medication for it, according to Tolliver.

[SBM]

That night, police started a grid search along with canine officers. The following day, police searched for Alexander using a helicopter, drones, canines and volunteers who were going door-to-door, according to Tolliver.

[SBM]

‘We don’t know what other areas we need to search. Franklin County (Sheriff’s Office) is supposed to be going over a map and comparing what we’ve done and where they’ve had calls about people trespassing, hunting or mushroom hunters, or stuff like that to help us know where to go next,’ Tolliver said.

[SBM]”
    Woman Still Missing After Three Weeks — Family Seeks Clues

17. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Oh Betty- please be OK. I'm still hoping, but this feels like sadness, to me.

Dre, TatianaBarbie, StarEyes and 2 others like this.
  18. StarEyes

StarEyes Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this.
    It feels like so many of the other missing people who have dementia. It’s like they just stepped out of the room for a minute....and disappeared. Dementia is such a hateful disease. It just takes a second to become confused and open to being lost or taken advantage of. I pray Betty is found soon. jmo

Dre, Tripod, TatianaBarbie and 3 others like this.
  19. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Keeping Betty bumped up.

20. PommyMommy

MAY 11, 2019
    Sullivan woman with dementia missing for a month now
    Loved ones of a missing 69-year-old Sullivan woman with dementia are still searching the streets a month into her disappearance.

[...]

Loved ones told News 4 that they still have no leads.

A $2,500 reward was issued for any details or information that would help authorities locate her as the search entered into two weeks, and on May 7, the reward was increased to $3,000.