MO MO - Cherie Nicole Barnes, 3, St Louis, 7 Jan 1987

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=1]Cherie Nicole Barnes[/h]
  • cherie_nicole_barnes_1.jpg
  • cherie_nicole_barnes_2.jpg
Cherie, circa 1986; Age-progression at age 32 (circa 2016)

• Missing Since 12/01/1986
  • Missing From St. Louis, Missouri
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 07/30/1984 (33)
  • Age 2 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'0, 80 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Biracial (African-American/Caucasian) female. Brown hair, brown eyes.

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Cherie's mother and stepfather, Elizabeth Ann Turek Vasser and Larry Vasser, had custody of her in 1986. They moved from Nashville, Tennessee to St. Louis, Missouri that year. Elizabeth, who was also known as Sissy, disappeared from their home in St. Louis on December 1, 1986. She was discovered in the Mississippi River over two months later in February 1987 as the victim of homicide. There was no trace of Cherie at the scene.

Authorities know that Elizabeth worked as a prostitute for her husband on Independence Avenue in St. Louis; she remained unidentified for seven years, until her family members contacted authorities and reported Elizabeth and Cherie as missing persons. The investigation into Cherie's case began at that time.

Cherie was apparently last seen in Kansas City, Missouri with Larry on January 7, 1987. She disappeared from that location and has never been heard from again. Investigators located Larry in prison for armed robbery in the mid-1990s; he will be incarcerated until at least 2028.

Larry told authorities that he knew where his stepdaughter was located. He has stated Cherie is "being looked after" by his family members and living under another name in the Kansas City area. She may not even know she is a missing child. At one point, Larry offered to give Elizabeth's mother photographs of Cherie and a recording of her voice, if she paid him $500.

Cherie was supposed to remain in the custody of other relatives after her mother's death. Due to the complexities in this case, Cherie's disappearance is classified as a non-family abduction, although her stepfather claims to know her whereabouts. Her case remains unsolved.

http://charleyproject.org/case/cherie-nicole-barnes

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5825/

Previous (closed) thread: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?59470-Cherie-Nicole-Barnes-(2)-St-Louis-MO-1987

Hello!

I think I have found some leads on this via social media. I know it is prohibited to post links, but can I post photos found?

Hello!

I think I have found some leads on this via social media. I know it is prohibited to post links, but can I post photos found?

Hi, sorry but it's against the rules here to post things from social media unless it comes from an official police department post. Screenshots and photos from the victim's family's social media or fb discussion group comments are not allowed. (I'm not a Mod, just sharing my understanding of the rules).

If Cherie is still alive, she’d be the same age as my husband. I wonder if she has any inkling that she’s a missing person – maybe a feeling deep inside that something isn’t right, that something is “off”. If she is alive, I hope she is okay and grew up happy and healthy. I hope we find her soon.

I have a feeling, though, that she probably isn’t. I wish I would be proven wrong. Her “stepfather”, Larry Vasser, might be released as early as 2028. He shouldn’t have a moments rest until he reveals where Cherie is and what happened to her. Do LE believe Larry killed her mother, Sissy? Is her murder solved or not? So many questions. Bumping for Cherie.

Cherie Nicole Barnes – The Charley Project
The Doe Network: Case File 161DFMO
Cherie Barnes – The Charley Project Blog

Cherie Nicole Barnes
  • cherie_nicole_barnes_1.jpg
  • cherie_nicole_barnes_2.jpg
Cherie, circa 1986; Age-progression at age 32 (circa 2016)

• Missing Since12/01/1986
  • Missing FromSt. Louis, Missouri
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexFemale
  • RaceBiracial, Black, White
  • Date of Birth07/30/1984 (36)
  • Age2 years old
  • Height and WeightUnknown
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsBiracial (African-American/Caucasian) female. Brown hair, brown eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Cherie's mother and stepfather, Elizabeth Ann Turek Vasser and Larry Vasser, had custody of her in 1986. They moved from Nashville, Tennessee to St. Louis, Missouri that year. Elizabeth, who was also known as Sissy, disappeared from their home in St. Louis on December 1, 1986. She was discovered in the Mississippi River over two months later in February 1987 as the victim of homicide. There was no trace of Cherie at the scene.

Authorities know that Elizabeth worked as a prostitute for her husband on Independence Avenue in St. Louis; she remained unidentified for seven years, until her family members contacted authorities and reported Elizabeth and Cherie as missing persons. The investigation into Cherie's case began at that time.

Cherie was apparently last seen in Kansas City, Missouri with Larry on January 7, 1987. She disappeared from that location and has never been heard from again. Investigators located Larry in prison for armed robbery in the mid-1990s; he will be incarcerated until at least 2028.

Larry told authorities that he knew where his stepdaughter was located. He has stated Cherie is "being looked after" by his family members and living under another name in the Kansas City area. She may not even know she is a missing child. At one point, Larry offered to give Elizabeth's mother photographs of Cherie and a recording of her voice, if she paid him $500.

Cherie was supposed to remain in the custody of other relatives after her mother's death. Due to the complexities in this case, Cherie's disappearance is classified as a non-family abduction, although her stepfather claims to know her whereabouts. Her case remains unsolved.
Investigating Agency
  • St. Louis Police Department 314-444-5371
Source Information

Hhhmmm, if mother & child disappeared on the same day, but Dad "knows" where the child is today, perhaps Step=Dad knows quite a bit about Mom's disappearance imho?

Charley Project explains that Mom was found deceased but not identified for years:

Also names step-dad as Larry Vassar:

You may need to type his name into Litigant Search to see his cases.

LV was not convicted of his wife's death. Per CaseNet above, he was convicted of possessing a weapon in a correctional facility and attacking a corrections officer!

Larry Vassar was apparently seeking pen pals in 2010.

LV apparently is not listed as an inmate in the Missouri Department of Corrections today:

I don't find an obituary or a listing in Find A Grave.

But, as he was sentenced to another 8 years in 2018, case 17TE-CR00686 , I'd like to know where LV is.

A little more about Mom here:

I don't find her in Find A Grave, either.

Jump in, please folks!

Last edited:
Well, I do enjoy bumping in to The Double Post Gremlin!

1673099289305.png
clipart-library.com

other worse parents appear again... what rubbish that guy larry hopefully he is imprisoned until his death prostitution of his wife and he had other crimes also makes him scum... the most logical thing is that he murdered his wife and threw her into the river Maybe he didn't want to give him the money or he told him that he would do something to his daughter. because of the mentally ill father... I think she's alive and if she's not...
Rest in peace

She was two when she went missing. The last time anyone saw Barnes was on January 7, 1986. She was seen with her stepfather, Larry Vasser, in Kansas City, Missouri.

On the day of her disappearance Barnes was a height of 4 feet and a weight of 80 pounds. She has brown hair and brown eyes. Her middle name is Nicole.

Later in the year Barn’s mother Elizabeth Vasser, was reported missing in December 1986. Elizabeth Vasser’s remains were later found in the Mississippi River.

Larry Vasser has been in jail since the mid-1990s for armed robbery. He is expected to stay in jail until at least 2028.

I'm an admin with Doe Network and also the area director for Missouri.
Cheri's name is spelled Cheri Nichole (pronounced sure-E). I have a copy of her birth certificate.
She was last seen in KC on January 7.
Cheri's mom's body was found in St. Louis but there is no evidence Cheri was taken there.

Last edited:
Birth certificate

Attachments

• 20231220_074415.jpg
    20231220_074415.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 7
If Cherie is still alive, she’d be the same age as my husband. I wonder if she has any inkling that she’s a missing person – maybe a feeling deep inside that something isn’t right, that something is “off”. If she is alive, I hope she is okay and grew up happy and healthy. I hope we find her soon.

I have a feeling, though, that she probably isn’t. I wish I would be proven wrong. Her “stepfather”, Larry Vasser, might be released as early as 2028. He shouldn’t have a moments rest until he reveals where Cherie is and what happened to her. Do LE believe Larry killed her mother, Sissy? Is her murder solved or not? So many questions. Bumping for Cherie.
Hello it's a possibility I may be Cheri My Facebook is Rosaline Dixon. Ive been under stress since 2019 something is off

I'm an admin with Doe Network and also the area director for Missouri.
Cheri's name is spelled Cheri Nichole (pronounced sure-E). I have a copy of her birth certificate.
She was last seen in KC on January 7.
Cheri's mom's body was found in St. Louis but there is no evidence Cheri was taken there.
Hello my name is Rosaline Dixon I live in Houston Texas I've been in search for my biological family. Both sides of my alleged family have wrote me off and my eldest brother calls me Sissy all of a sound. Is there anyway you can email me a copy I been working my case since late 2019 but these are dangerous people I'm dealing with. I would appreciate it. Rosaline_dixon@yahoo.com

Attachments

• FB_VID_5234366858560834834.mp4
    284.8 KB

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member