MO - Children locked in small, windowless boxes in Farmington home, Aug 2018

JoeFromLB

Reaction score
It just never stops...

Children locked in small, windowless boxes in Farmington home

ST. FRANCOIS COUNTY, MO - Authorities in St. Francois County are investigating a child abuse case where children were kept confined in small, windowless boxes within a home. According to the St. Francois County Sheriff’s Department, deputies responded to a home in the 100 block of Meadowbrook in Farmington, MO, to assist the Missouri Children’s Division Investigators with a Child Abuse Hotline call.

The call alleged that children in the home were being kept locked in rooms secured with plywood and screws.

Investigators were initially denied entry into the home by the 38-year-old homeowner, Daryl J. Head. Once they got inside, they discovered Laura Cheatham, 38, removing the plywood from several boxes and children coming out from them. The four children, three girls, and a boy are between the ages of 5 and 12-year old.

More details emerged Wednesday about a Missouri couple accused of child abuse for allegedly housing four children in specially constructed windowless rooms, with no lighting, that were kept shut with plywood and screws.

Authorities said Laura Elizabeth Cheatham, 38, a former employee of the Missouri Department of Corrections, had ordered child-sized inmate-style prisoner uniforms, in gray and orange, for the children to wear, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

(Sheriff) Bullock described each room as "smaller than a jail cell." He said they had been modified from two bedrooms and offered no windows, lighting, or access to toilets or water. It appeared the children urinated into vents in the room, he said.

St. Francois County Prosecutor Jerrod Mahurin said the couple could face more charges after initial investigations are complete.

Kid-sized prisoner uniforms ordered by Missouri woman accused of child abuse, authorities say

More details emerged Wednesday about a Missouri couple accused of child abuse for allegedly housing four children in specially constructed windowless rooms, with no lighting, that were kept shut with plywood and screws.

Authorities said Laura Elizabeth Cheatham, 38, a former employee of the Missouri Department of Corrections, had ordered child-sized inmate-style prisoner uniforms, in gray and orange, for the children to wear, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

(Sheriff) Bullock described each room as "smaller than a jail cell." He said they had been modified from two bedrooms and offered no windows, lighting, or access to toilets or water. It appeared the children urinated into vents in the room, he said.

St. Francois County Prosecutor Jerrod Mahurin said the couple could face more charges after initial investigations are complete.

Kid-sized prisoner uniforms ordered by Missouri woman accused of child abuse, authorities say

I am just surprised that those things still surprise and shock me:(:mad:.

Farmington woman accused of abuse ordered prison uniforms for small kids, police say

Police said Laura Cheatham, a recent former employee of the Missouri Department of Corrections, ordered four kids-size prison inmate uniforms from the Prison Industries Clothing Division.

Cheatham reportedly told the person in charge of the clothing that the uniforms were "for her kids."

Police took custody of the uniforms from officials at Farmington Correctional Center along with cardboard patterns that are marked “kids pants”, ‘kids shirt”.

Please tell me I am reading this wrong or that I am confused. She orders kids jail uniforms from her job, says the uniforms are for her kids, and no one thought that was weird??? I mean I guess she could have said they were for Halloween costumes or something, but you can go to party city for costumes. I think I am missing something here, bc this makes no sense to me.

That being said. How sad for those poor kids. It seems like these types of cases are becoming more frequent. Or maybe the abusers are just being caught and publicized more often. I hope the kids end up in a loving home.

What the h@ll is wrong with people? The punishment on these types of child abuse (all child abuse) should be so swift and so tough and so public that potential abusers stop in their tracks.

I'm very glad that these children have been rescued.

I hate this couple. I am so upset. I could never imagine locking my children up ESPECIALLY my adopted son. Those poor kids. I hope they find an awesome family that will love and cherish and nurture them forever!

Quoting my own post - anyone get into the court site for next court date?

TIA! :)

I can.

Both of them have their next hearing as follows:

Bond Reduction Hrng Scheduled
Scheduled For: 08/28/2018; 9:00 AM ; JOSEPH LESLIE GOFF JR; St. Francois

He is being represented by a public defender, she has retained a private attorney.

Judge Goff is the judge for both cases.

I've subscribed to updates from casenet on both cases and will try to post updates when there is something of note.

I can.

Both of them have their next hearing as follows:

Bond Reduction Hrng Scheduled
Scheduled For: 08/28/2018; 9:00 AM ; JOSEPH LESLIE GOFF JR; St. Francois

He is being represented by a public defender, she has retained a private attorney.

Judge Goff is the judge for both cases.

I've subscribed to updates from casenet on both cases and will try to post updates when there is something of note.

Thanks a bunch JimmyPerez!
and
welcome-team.gif
to a great forum & this thread!
I'll probably bug you for the next court date - by going like this @JimmyPerez ! :)

Tuesday, August 28th:
*Bond Reduction Hearing for both (@ 9am CT) – MO – 4 children (3 girls & 1 boy, ages 5 to 12 locked in small windowless boxes discovered 8/7/18) – *Laura Elizabeth Cheatham (38) (adopted “mom”) arrested & charged (8/7/18) with 5 counts of endangering the welfare of a child & 3 counts of 2nd degree kidnapping. $500K bond (another article says $2M).
*Daryl Justen Head (38) (mom’s bf) arrested & charged (8/7/18) with 5 counts of endangering the welfare of a child & 3 counts of 2nd degree kidnapping. $500K bond (another article says $2M).
Could face more charges as investigation not yet complete.

My court notifications usually come around 10:00 p.m., so I likely won't update until the following morning. Here is what went down yesterday:

Her: Bond reduced to $250,000, no contact with kids, electronic monitoring. Preliminary hearing set for October 9 @ 1:30 p.m. She has not yet posted bond.

Him: Bond reduced to $250,000. No conditions contained in the Bond Reduction Order. Preliminary hearing set for October 9 @ 1:30 p.m. He has not yet posted bond.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back