Found Deceased MO - Darnell Gray, 4, Jefferson City, 24 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #2

Okay - in the article in post #179 - has this:

Walker said Givens would remain the Cole County Jail until next Friday afternoon, when a hearing would be held to discuss bond. He did ask to see information from the pre-trial and probation and parole offices on how Givens had been meeting their requirements for her.

So - this hearing happened on a Thursday - so "next Friday" would mean Sept. 3rd - correct??

TIA! :)

Friday, Sept. 3rd:
*Bond Hearing (@ pm CT) - MO – Darnell S. Gray (4) (missing Oct. 25, 2018, Jefferson City, found Oct. 30, 2018) – *Quatavia Lwoun Givens (26/now 28) (ex-gf of father) arrested & charged (10/31/18) & arraigned (11/8/18) with 1st degree child abuse resulting in death. [Dismissed 8/24/21). Indicted (12/18/18) with felony abuse or neglect of a child. [Dismissed 8/24/21]. Indicted (10/29/19) with 2nd degree murder. [Dismissed 8/24/21]. Indicted & charged (8/25/21) with 1st degree murder, child abuse or neglect, endangering the welfare of a child & abandonment of a corpse in the death of Darnell.(no plea on this yet). Plead not guilty to 2 other charges. No bond changed (3/21/19) to $100K Cash ONLY bond. Bond reduced (9/30/19) to $5K Cash or Surety Bond. Out on bond 9/30/19. Rearrested 8/26/21 & held without bond.
Trial was set to begin 7/13/20-continued on 9/15/22 with jury selection to 9/16/21 & Jury trial to begin on 9/19/21. (thru 9/23/22 all @ 9a & counsel @ 8:30a to resolve any pretrial matters)
Court hearings from 11/8/18 thru 8/12/21 reference post #178 here:
Found Deceased - MO - Darnell Gray, 4, Jefferson City, 24 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #2

8/17/21 Update: State appears by Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Loesch. Defendant excused but by Attorneys Finney & Vodnansky. Case set for 5 day jury trial Sept 15-16, 2022 for Voir Dire selection & Sept 19, 2022 for jury trial at 9am. Counsel to appear at 8:30am to resolve any remaining pretrial matters. It is the Court's preference that Motions in Limine not be held until the morning of trial. Pretrial set for 9/13/22 at 3pm. Defendant must appear in person & failing to do so she should expect a no-bond warrant to ensure her appearance at trial when same is rescheduled. State to notify victims as may be required by law. Counsel to review trial setting order in its entirety. Case set for AKE Motion on 8/26/21 at 2pm, 1 hour allowed. Case set for status hearing on 5/3/22 at 1pm. 8/18/21: Motion for order compelling State to provide dense counsel with proposed instructions prior to trial filed by Heather Vodnansky.
8/25/21 Update: A grand jury returned the new charges on Wednesday with a first-degree murder charge, child abuse or neglect, endangering the welfare of a child & abandonment of a corpse in the death of Darnell. The original charges filed against Givens, which included second-degree murder, child abuse or neglect & endangering the welfare of a child, were dismissed before the indictment was returned by the Cole County Grand Jury. This new case has been assigned to Cole County Judge Cotton Walker; the original case was in Cole County Presiding Judge Jon Beetem's court. Givens was free on bond. After the new charges were filed, she was arrested in St. Charles & returned to Jefferson City, where she is being held without bond at the Cole County jail. During a hearing Thursday afternoon before Judge Walker, Givens' public defenders — Heather Vodnansky & Justin Carver — asked Walker for more time to go over the new charges & information filed against their client. They also had a motion to recall the arrest warrant on Givens. Walker said Givens would remain the Cole County Jail until next Friday afternoon, 9/3/21, when a hearing would be held to discuss bond. Originally, Given's attorneys & Thompson had agreed to a change of venue motion, selecting a jury from Johnson County in Western Missouri, sequestering them & having them brought to Cole County for the trial. "I don't see any reason why something like that wouldn't be brought up again," Thompson said. "For now, it's back to Cole County being the venue for this case."

The Cole County prosecutor filed new charges against Quatavia Givensconnected to Darnell Gray's death in 2018. On Wednesday, Prosecutor Locke Thompson dropped the charges of second-degree murder, endangering the welfare of a child, and abuse or neglect of child a resulting in death.

After dropping those charges, a Cole County Grand Jury returned an indictment for Murder 1st Degree, Abuse or Neglect of a Child - Serious Emotional or Physical Injury - No Sexual Contact and Abandonment of a Corpse against Givens.

Charges against Quatavia Givens upgraded to first-degree murder

I wonder if this is the reason there is nothing on the court site right now as they are up grading the charges.

@Niner

The Cole County prosecutor filed new charges against Quatavia Givensconnected to Darnell Gray's death in 2018. On Wednesday, Prosecutor Locke Thompson dropped the charges of second-degree murder, endangering the welfare of a child, and abuse or neglect of child a resulting in death.

After dropping those charges, a Cole County Grand Jury returned an indictment for Murder 1st Degree, Abuse or Neglect of a Child - Serious Emotional or Physical Injury - No Sexual Contact and Abandonment of a Corpse against Givens.

Charges against Quatavia Givens upgraded to first-degree murder

I wonder if this is the reason there is nothing on the court site right now as they are up grading the charges.

@Niner

Looks like it - nothing in court because of charges were changed. I'll check back in about a week from now.
Thank you! :)

@Jewels53 I see she does have a court date on 9/13 - so I'll go ahead & put here on there for the time being - and then will ask you next week.
Sounds good I will be watching for it. I will be leaving the end of next week for a Quilt Retreat at Branson. I will have my computer with me so don't hesitate to ask me questions on cases.

Hope you are doing well! I am doing about the same, just waiting for my Surgery to happen on October 1.

Have a Great Day!

Sounds good I will be watching for it. I will be leaving the end of next week for a Quilt Retreat at Branson. I will have my computer with me so don't hesitate to ask me questions on cases.

Hope you are doing well! I am doing about the same, just waiting for my Surgery to happen on October 1.

Have a Great Day!

Enjoy your retreat! And of course - pictures!! :D I will not hesitate then to "bother" you at your retreat!
Doing good - and good luck in your surgery!

I'm so grateful that they recharged QG with 1st degree murder!

It made me sick that she was out there living life like she hadn't murdered an innocent little boy.

#Justice4Darnell

Monday, Sept. 13th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 3pm CT) - MO – Darnell S. Gray (4) (missing Oct. 25, 2018, Jefferson City, found Oct. 30, 2018) – *Quatavia Lwoun Givens (26/now 28) (ex-gf of father) arrested & charged (10/31/18) & arraigned (11/8/18) with 1st degree child abuse resulting in death. [Dismissed 8/24/21). Indicted (12/18/18) with felony abuse or neglect of a child. [Dismissed 8/24/21]. Indicted (10/29/19) with 2nd degree murder. [Dismissed 8/24/21]. Indicted & charged (8/25/21) with 1st degree murder, child abuse or neglect, endangering the welfare of a child & abandonment of a corpse in the death of Darnell. (No plea on this yet). Plead not guilty to 2 other charges. No bond changed (3/21/19) to $100K Cash ONLY bond. Bond reduced (9/30/19) to $5K Cash or Surety Bond. Out on bond 9/30/19. Rearrested 8/26/21 & held without bond.
Trial was set to begin on 9/15/22 with jury selection to 9/16/22 & Jury trial to begin on 9/19/22. (thru 9/23/22 all @ 9a & counsel @ 8:30a to resolve any pretrial matters).
Court hearings from 11/8/18 thru 8/18/21 reference post #182 here:
Found Deceased - MO - Darnell Gray, 4, Jefferson City, 24 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #2

8/25/21 Update: A grand jury returned the new charges on Wednesday with a first-degree murder charge, child abuse or neglect, endangering the welfare of a child & abandonment of a corpse in the death of Darnell. The original charges filed against Givens, which included second-degree murder, child abuse or neglect & endangering the welfare of a child, were dismissed before the indictment was returned by the Cole County Grand Jury. This new case has been assigned to Cole County Judge Cotton Walker; the original case was in Cole County Presiding Judge Jon Beetem's court. Givens was free on bond. After the new charges were filed, she was arrested in St. Charles & returned to Jefferson City, where she is being held without bond at the Cole County jail. During a hearing Thursday afternoon before Judge Walker, Givens' public defenders — Heather Vodnansky & Justin Carver — asked Walker for more time to go over the new charges & information filed against their client. They also had a motion to recall the arrest warrant on Givens. Walker said Givens would remain the Cole County Jail until next Friday afternoon, 9/3/21, when a hearing would be held to discuss bond. Originally, Given's attorneys & Thompson had agreed to a change of venue motion, selecting a jury from Johnson County in Western Missouri, sequestering them & having them brought to Cole County for the trial. "I don't see any reason why something like that wouldn't be brought up again," Thompson said. "For now, it's back to Cole County being the venue for this case."
9/1/21 Update: Next pretrial hearing on 9/13/21 @ 3pm.

@Niner This is the only thing I can find. Nothing on MO casenet yet.

September 3, 2021 7:37 PM
Published September 3, 2021 5:48 AM

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (KMIZ)
A woman accused of killing a 4-year-old Jefferson City boy will remain jailed without bond, a judge ruled Friday.

Quatavia Givens is accused of killing Darnell Gray in October 2018. Last week, prosecutors said they upgraded the charges from second to first-degree murder due to new evidence.

snip
The grand jury indictment released Friday says Givens caused Gray's death by suffocation. The indictment says Givens failed to get Gray treatment for diarrhea on the day of his death that caused serious physical injury.

Prosecuting Attorney Locke Thompson said the suffocation revelation, which had not previously been made public, was based on new evidence in the case.

Woman accused of killing Jefferson City boy denied bond - ABC17NEWS

@Niner I searched again this morning and I don't understand why I can't find her case on MO CaseNet. I even searched by case # and it says it doesn't exist. So I don't know what is going on unless it is a clerical error.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back