Found Deceased MO - Darnell Gray, 4, Jefferson City, 24 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #2

@Niner I searched again this morning and I don't understand why I can't find her case on MO CaseNet. I even searched by case # and it says it doesn't exist. So I don't know what is going on unless it is a clerical error.

Well - they did up her charges - so thinking it "might" be a new case # & they just don't have it on the court site yet. Just my guess! :) I'll check back in another week unless you beat me to it! :)

Change of judge granted in murder trial of child's caretaker

A Cole County judge Wednesday granted a request for a new judge for a woman charged in the 2018 death of a 4-year-old boy.

During a brief hearing Wednesday morning, Judge Cotton Walker granted the request from Quatavia Givens' defense team. The case was sent to Cole County Presiding Judge Jon Beetem for assignment.

Givens' lawyers have also requested a change of venue, but Walker couldn't rule on it after he approved the change of judge motion.

She was arrested in St. Charles after the new charges were filed and was transported back to Jefferson City, where she is being held without bond at the Cole County Jail.

@Jewels53 - maybe there is an update for Givens' new charges - ?? Please take your time!

and looks like the last hearing was on 9/30.

TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-002.gif.pagespeed.ce.NgmNDJ18zj.gif

Hey @Jewels53 - going thru my Sept. stuff & was wondering if there might be any hearings for her new charges yet?

TIA!
bjr.gif

Hey @Jewels53 - going thru my Sept. stuff & was wondering if there might be any hearings for her new charges yet?

TIA!
bjr.gif
Niner I don't understand how come there is nothing under Quatavia's name concerning this case. I even tried looking under her middle name and nothing showed up.

There are other cases under her name just not this one. I have looked at the other cases and nothing about this case shows up. So I don't know what to do other than to keep checking.

@Niner
  • Sep 29, 2021
JEFFERSON CITY - A Cole County judge granted a change of venue and change of judge for Quatavia Givens, the woman charged in the 2018 death of 4-year-old Darnell Gray.

Cole County Prosecutor Locke Thompson said the date for reassignment has not been set yet. It's likely it will be sent to the Missouri Supreme Court.

Thompson said he believes the change of venue was requested as a result of the high-profile case.

Thompson could not disclose what the new evidence included. KOMU 8 was unable to obtain documents in the case due to the increased security levels on CaseNet. Security levels on the case were so high that even attorneys could not access the page online.

Quatavia Givens gets new venue, judge in death of child case

So that explains why we can't access the case!

Okay - @Jewels53 - made some notes from the article.

Can't you access the MO Supreme court site? Maybe it's been sent to the Supreme court by now.

Only look when you have time! :)
I just wonder what in the world that she did to poor little Darnell that they don't want to disclose. Make me angry and very sad for him. I will look later.

I think of Darnell often, especially around Halloween, when it was close to him being missing. Poor boy, whatever this woman did to cause his death must have been extreme. I hope she never sees a day as a free person again.

Crimes against children are among the most heinous IMO.

@Jewels53 - this can wait until after Thanksgiving. Just wondering if there might be a new court hearing date yet?

TIA!
thank.gif

21AC-CR01733 - ST V QUATAVIA L GIVENS

11/22/2021 Judge Assigned
Order for Change of Judge
Supreme Court Order assigning Judge William Hickle to the case. /s/PW/Chief Justice/rlo
Order
We would request the appointment of a circuit judge with a court reporter. You may also wish to give consideration to a circuit judge from the 25th as the parties have agreed to pull a jury from Pulaksi County and that might make jury selection easier. /s/JEB/rlo
Motion Granted/Sustained
The Court sustains the State's Motion for Change of Judge. All circuit judges having either recused or been disqualified, the Supreme Court is requested to appoint a judge to hear this cause. /s/JEB/rlo
Associated Entries: 11/08/2021 - Motion for Change of Judge
tree-collapse_button.jpg

11/12/2021 Order
Order
Security Level of case to be restored to Level 1. /s/JEB/rlo

11/08/2021 Motion for Change of Judge
States Motion for Change of Judge; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. snb*
Filed By: WILLIAM LOCKE THOMPSON
Associated Entries: 11/22/2021 - Motion Granted/Sustained
tree-collapse_button.jpg

Judge Assigned
Order
The Court orders that case is assigned to Div 1 and that a jury to be selected from Pulaski County and to be brought to Cole County for trial pursuant to Supreme Court Rule 32.01. Case placed on 12-14-21 at 1 pm law day for further proceedings. /s/JEB/rlo
Order for Change of Judge

11/05/2021 Case Review Held
State by Prosecuting Attorney Thompson. Defendant by Attorneys Finney and Vodnasky. Case review held. /s/JEB/rlo
Scheduled For: 11/03/2021; 3:30 PM ; JON EDWARD BEETEM; Cole Circuit

11/03/2021 Judge/Clerk - Note
Evidence taken by Court Reporter K. Asel on 11-3-2021.

11/02/2021 Counsel Status Hrng Scheduled
Associated Entries: 11/05/2021 - Case Review Held
tree-collapse_button.jpg

Scheduled For: 11/03/2021; 3:30 PM ; JON EDWARD BEETEM; Cole Circuit

10/28/2021 Order
Counsel are directed to advise their available times for a brief scheduling conference next week by email direct to Rachel.Owens@courts.mo.gov. /s/JEB/rlo

10/18/2021 Answers to Disclosure Filed
States Supplemental Answer to Defendants Request for Discovery; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. snb

10/08/2021 Answers to Disclosure Filed
States Answer to Defendants Request for Discovery; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. snb

https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/cases/searchDockets.do

Thank you @Jewels53 for taking the time today! Much appreciated!

Hoping you are enjoying or will be enjoying your Thanksgiving dinner!
animated-smileys-thanksgiving-04.gif

Tuesday, December 14th:
*Status Hearing (@ 1pm CT) - MO – Darnell S. Gray (4) (missing Oct. 25, 2018, Jefferson City, found Oct. 30, 2018) – *Quatavia Lwoun Givens (26/now 28) (ex-gf of father) arrested & charged (10/31/18) & arraigned (11/8/18) with 1st degree child abuse resulting in death. [Dismissed 8/24/21). Indicted (12/18/18) with felony abuse or neglect of a child. [Dismissed 8/24/21]. Indicted (10/29/19) with 2nd degree murder. [Dismissed 8/24/21]. Indicted & charged (8/25/21) with 1st degree murder, child abuse or neglect, serious emotional or physical injury-no sex abuse, endangering the welfare of a child in the 1st degree, death of a child-no sexual contact & abandonment of a corpse in the death of Darnell. (No plea on this yet). Plead not guilty to 2 other charges. No bond changed (3/21/19) to $100K Cash ONLY bond. Bond reduced (9/30/19) to $5K Cash or Surety Bond. Out on bond 9/30/19. Rearrested 8/26/21 when indicted on new charges & held without bond.
Trial set to begin on 9/15/22 with jury selection to 9/16/22 & Jury trial to begin on 9/19/22. (thru 9/23/22 all @ 9a & counsel @ 8:30a to resolve any pretrial matters). Jury will be selected from Pulaski County & brought to Cole County for trial.
Court hearings from 11/8/18 thru 8/25/21 reference post #191 here:
Found Deceased - MO - Darnell Gray, 4, Jefferson City, 24 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #2

9/1/21 Update: Next pretrial hearing on 9/13/21 @ 3pm. Next motions hearing on 9/30/21. 9/30/21 Update: Judge Cotton Walker granted the request for a new judge from Givens' defense team. The case was sent to Cole County Presiding Judge Jon Beetem for assignment. Givens' lawyers have also requested a change of venue, but Walker couldn't rule on it after he approved the change of judge motion. In her original case, a jury from Johnson County was to be picked & brought to Cole County to hear Givens' case. Cole County Prosecutor Locke Thompson said the new case was filed based on new evidence & added the release of Givens would be inappropriate.
9/29/21 Update: A Cole County judge granted a change of venue and change of judge for Givens. Cole County Prosecutor Locke Thompson said the date for reassignment has not been set yet. It's likely it will be sent to the Missouri Supreme Court. Thompson said he believes the change of venue was requested as a result of the high-profile case. Thompson said that recently this office came into possession of new evidence that gives us reason to believe that the defendant acted with deliberation when causing the death of Darnell. Thompson could not disclose what the new evidence.

10/8/21: State's answer to defendant's request for discovery by William Thompson. 10/18/21: State's Supplemental answer to defendants request for discovery by William Thompson. 10/28/21: Counsel are directed to advice their available times for a brief scheduling conference next week. 11/2/21: Counsel status hearing scheduled - Case review hearing held on 11/3/21. 11/5/21: Case review held. Sate by prosecuting attorney Thompson & defendant by attorneys Finney & Vodnasky. 11/8/21: State's motion for change of judge by Thompson. 11/22/21: Motion granted/sustained. Order: The court orders that case is assigned to Div. 1 & that a jury to selected from Pulaski County & to be brought to Cole County for trial pursuant to Supreme Court rule 32.01. Case placed on 12/14/21 at 1pm for further proceedings. 11/12/21: Order: security level of case to be restored to Level 1. 11/22/21: Order for Change of Judge. Supreme Court Order assigning Judge William Hickle to the case. The Court sustains the State's motion for change of judge. All circuit judges having either recused or been disqualified, the Supreme Court is requested to appoint a judge to hear this cause.

@Niner there is nothing at all listed for Quatavia Givens on Case net at this time. It seems they have pulled her case off the court sight. I am not sure why.

Thanks for checking!
I'll check back in a few weeks than. Maybe they transferred her case - again... :rolleyes:

You did look under the Supreme court one, right?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back