MO - Duck boat carrying 31 tourists capsizes, killing 17, near Branson, July 2018

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by gregjrichards, Jul 19, 2018.

1. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

It looks like there's a captain and a driver. Am I getting that right? And the driver died?

In looking at video of the one that survived there is a driver and someone standing directly behind, supposedly directing him.

Terrifying. I don't think they knew how close to death they were.

As to video on the doomed boat I heard they did recover some from a survivor. But I don't know where I saw the or how it could survive in water.

2. osu

osu Well-Known Member

I was also confused about the driver/captain. The way I understand it is, since the duck boats are amphibious vehicles, they have a driver for when they’re traveling on land and a Coast Guard trained captain for when they’re on water.

IIRC, the captain survived the accident and the driver perished.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  3. osu

osu Well-Known Member

As water began to fill the boat and people frantically screamed, 12-year-old Alicia Dennison’s first thought was to retrieve life jackets for her and her grandmother.

Tall for her age at 5-foot-6 and experienced in boating, the Illinois girl reached up to an overhead shelf where the duck boat stored its jackets. She tugged again and again, but it wouldn’t give, said Alicia’s mother, Shaunna Cumberworth.
    The water from Table Rock Lake in Branson, Mo., continued to rise and people’s heads bobbed above the water as it lifted them to the boat’s canopy. The windows trapped them inside, Cumberworth said.

When the top finally gave out, giving passengers the chance to escape, Alicia told her mother she felt the hands of her 64-year-old grandmother push her from below in the cold, deep water. Her grandmother’s final effort propelled Alicia upward, Cumberworth said. With that push, Leslie Dennison helped save her only granddaughter, but she didn’t survive.

~snip

Girl, 12, saved by grandmother who died in duck boat accident: ‘If it wasn’t for her grandma, she wouldn’t have made it’

Amonet, GarAndTeed, Marah and 7 others like this.
  4. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

Yesterday I recall reading an article that said the tour was supposed to be on land first, and then water, but due to the forecast they decided to switch and do the water portion first to try to beat the storm. I’ll try to find that article again. If this is factual, I don’t see how it’s plausible that the storm came out of nowhere and the company had no way of knowing what weather was coming.

GarAndTeed, Betty P, osu and 3 others like this.
  5. stg

stg Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Amonet, Suglo, osu and 2 others like this.
  6. IceIce9

IceIce9 Well-Known Member

I don’t know the actual terminology, but I have been on boats that have a ripcord type thing to pull in case of emergency that releases all the life jackets with one pull. The cord is pulled, all the life jackets fall down, and this makes it easy for everyone to grab one.

Still however grabbing a life jacket and putting it on properly are two different things. How difficult would it be for a passenger to put his or her own life jacket on, in a panic situation, or while attempting to swim or float? Also putting them on children.

osu, jggordo and CARIIS like this.
  7. CARIIS

CARIIS Spelling Bee Winner - Kindergarden!

Yes it does in anything cars planes trains etc etc

osu, jggordo and neesaki like this.
  8. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

Also, the ability to swim..... Oh God! I hate saying this, but, I did read the one report that the man stated he was trying his hardest to swim up, while it was sucking him down. That's the thing, this is too heartbreaking..... This is not good, this is not good.... :( This is too heartbreaking, I don't know if I can be here.

Amonet, osu and CARIIS like this.
  9. CARIIS

this is one of the other ones he piloted

Google Image Result for https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/traderjosephine/Box%2011%20-%20Vin%20Pic%20-%20%20%20Batch%201/Box%2011%20-%20Vin%20Pic%20-%20%20%20Batch%202/11.673.jpg

TOURIST ATTRACTION IN GEORGIA SUSPENDS DUCK BOATS AFTER MISSOURI TRAGEDY

video here also guy talking about how he had never seen the lake like that before::

Tourist attraction in Georgia suspends duck boats after Missouri trage | Atlanta: News, Weather and Traffic

[​IMG]

GarAndTeed, neesaki and osu like this.
  10. CARIIS

I recall that as well

osu likes this.
  11. jggordo

jggordo Well-Known Member

That change in the order of the trip is the main why the Attorney General was there yesterday. That storm made it's march some 500 plus miles across Kansas and Oklahoma, gathering more strength all along the way. Not to bore you, but there actually two storm fronts one norther and one southern that joined together shortly before striking the Branson area. They KNEW about the storm.

IMO it is nauseating that our politicians are falling all over each other to go to Branson to put their two cents worth in (very short two cents) and make a presence known. I know the anchor from our station who was / is down there. He had a live shot coming up. All the stations are in close proximity of each other. He said he had to get it together because he was laughing so hard. It seems that two opposing politicians almost shoved each other out of the way to get in line for their interviews.

JMOs

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    GarAndTeed, neesaki, CARIIS and 4 others like this.
  12. osu

osu Well-Known Member

Amonet, 1&2&3, neesaki and 3 others like this.
  13. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

14. fabvab

fabvab Well-Known Member

Cariis, Don't some planes have life preservers that you put on before the plane goes down (they are not inflated at this point) and once in the water, you pull a cord to inflate the preserver?

CARIIS and osu like this.
  15. fabvab

fabvab Well-Known Member

One thing I learned from this...if I ever go on a tourism boat ride with toddlers/children, I will take our own life jackets that fit and are designed to protect minors as many life jackets for them have a strap that goes under their torso to keep it from slipping up off of them.

I understand the canopy was detrimental and made life jackets worthless, but I don't see anyway a toddler that got out from under the canopy could have survived this incident in that water without a floatation device to keep them afloat.

Second thing I learned...abandon ship before it starts going under.

16. CARIIS

Yea - I dont think i said it clearly on the duck boat they are reg jackets

i think they should have gotten them down and it their hands but dont put them around your neck until out of the boat

looking at the video i thought i would not care what the guys said i am reaching up and grabbing life vests and throwing them down on people to just have them with them - what is the guy gonna do?

I did not know they were hanging above them at that time. I thought they were like in one place where crew would have to get them (to be frank at the time I concluded that they were just to lazy to get them out) to discover that they were hanging above them blew my mind

This is not like a plane crash- instant- there had to be notions that this is not going well and to then learn that the motor might have flooded out that would , I would think , pretty much a red flag that this is pretty over on board The motor dying would be terrifying. I have tried to see the the propulsion trail coming out of the back to determine if it did stall out but cant tell

initially they gave crazy info about the exhaust in the front -- that made no sense to me at all -- on land your really gonna put the exhaust pipe where it blows back on occupants? But while clicking around I learned that there is a big door on the bow (like hood of car) i think that is what they meant that that would be an entry point if swamped by a big wave.

this one bothers me when I see the guys golf carts or certain SUV it reminds me of this tradegy

i def think there would be lots of onboard cell phone video - people take videos of of french toast these days - so we might end up with a better time frame as it relates to how often and how much water was coming into the cabin

another thing i am confused about is the windows on the other boat it looks like it is thick plastic but on the accident vehicle it kinda looks like that one had hard plastic windows ??? Is that accurate

There so ugly they had em in the keys years ago I never wanted to go one they are ugly were smelly . The only thing that would interest me about them is the sounds as it enters the water and goes from car propulsion to water propulsion!!

yuk yuk yuk there gross

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    jggordo likes this.
  17. jggordo

NTSB releases initial review of duck boat video recording system

BRANSON, Mo. - The National Transportation Safety Board released its initial review on Friday of the digital video recorder system recovered from last week's deadly sinking of DUKW "Stretch Boat 7" near Branson.

Link:
    NTSB releases initial review of duck boat video recording system

CARIIS, GarAndTeed and Gardenista like this.
  18. jggordo

The NTSB said recorded media on an SD card and a removable hard drive from the vehicle's digital video recorder camera system was recovered by divers before the duck boat was removed from the bottom of the lake on Monday.

[​IMG]

19. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

delete

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  20. jggordo

This is the actual NTSB Press Release. The timeline is shocking.

The National Transportation Safety Board announced Friday the completion of the initial review of the digital video recorder system recovered from the DUKW “Stretch Boat 7” that sank July 19 near Branson, Missouri.
    The “Ride The Ducks” amphibious vehicle had 29 passengers and two crewmembers aboard for a tour when weather conditions deteriorated on Table Rock Lake. One crewmember and 16 passengers died in the accident.
    [​IMG]
    In this NTSB July 26, 2018, photo, the SD card is shown from the digital video recorder system onboard the amphibious DUKW "Stretch Boat 7" that sank July 19 near Branson, Missouri. (NTSB Photo)
    Recording media including an SD card and a removable hard drive from the vehicle’s digital video recorder camera system were recovered by divers before the duck boat was salvaged.
    The digital video recorder media were immediately transferred to the NTSB laboratory in Washington.
    The digital video recorder recorded five channels of video: four outward facing and one inward facing. Audio was also recorded.
    The NTSB’s initial review of the recorder provides the following information which is preliminary and will be supplemented or corrected during the investigation. The times presented here are as-recorded by the DVR and have not yet been validated against local time. The information does not contain analysis. As such, no conclusions regarding the cause of the accident should be made from this preliminary information.
    · The audio quality varies widely throughout the recording, affecting the intelligibility of what is spoken.
    · About 18:27:08. The captain and driver boarded the previously empty vehicle. The driver sat in the driver’s seat and the captain sat in the side-facing seat to the right of the driver. (The captain operates the duck on water and the driver operates duck on the road.)
    · About 18:28:00. The crew was told to take the water portion of the tour first, by an individual who briefly stepped onto the rear of the vehicle.
    · About 18:29:13. As the passengers were loading, the captain made a verbal reference to looking at the weather radar prior to the trip.
    · About 18:33:10. The driver stated a passenger count of 29 and shortly after, the vehicle departed the terminal facility. The captain narrated the tour while the vehicle was in motion.
    · Starting about 18:50. In the vicinity of the boat ramp, the captain began a safety briefing regarding the water portion of the tour. The briefing included the location of emergency exits as well as the location of the life jackets. The captain then demonstrated the use of a life jacket and pointed out the location of the life rings. The captain moved into the driver’s seat and the driver moved into the seat directly behind.
    · About 18:55:20. The captain announced to the passengers that they would be entering the water. The boat entered the water. The water appeared calm at this time.
    · Between about 18:56:22 and 19:00:38. The captain allowed four different children to sit in the driver’s seat, while he observed and assisted.
    · About 19:00:25. Whitecaps rapidly appeared on the water and winds increased.
    · About 19:00:42. The captain returned to the driver’s seat. The driver lowered both the port and starboard clear plastic side curtains.
    · About 19:01:01. The captain made a comment about the storm.
    · About 19:03:15. The captain made a handheld radio call, the content of which is currently unintelligible.
    · About 19:04:15. An electronic tone associated with the bilge alarm activated.
    · About 19:05:21. The captain reached downward with his right hand and the bilge alarm ceases.
    · About 19:05:40. The captain made a handheld radio call, the content of which is currently unintelligible.
    · In the final minutes of the recording. Water occasionally splashes inside the vehicle’s passenger compartment. (The low frame rate and relatively low resolution make it very difficult to be more precise in the preliminary review.)
    · About 19:07:26. An electronic tone associated with the bilge alarm activated.
    · 19:08:27. The inward-facing recording ended, while the vehicle was still on the surface of the water.
    An NTSB recorder group consisting of technical experts from the NTSB and parties to the investigation will convene at NTSB headquarters to begin validating the recorded data and developing a detailed transcript of the sequence of events.

Initial Review of Duck Boat Digital Video Recorder System Completed

This is a copy of the actual press so it is more than 10%. Hope it's ok.