3338DFMO.jpg

From Doe Network:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/3338dfmo.html

Evelyn Leona Mace-Warbington

Case Classification: Missing Person
Missing Since: January 1, 1947
Location Last Seen: Poplar Bluff, Butler County, Missouri
Physical Description

** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.
Date of Birth: September 4, 1927
Age at Time of Disappearance: 20
Race: White
Height at Time of Disappearance: 5' 6
Weight at Time of Disappearance: 125 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Unknown
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown
Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance

She was married in 1943 in Harviell, MO, divorced in 1947 in Poplar Bluff MO on grounds of desertion. Sent a photo to her sister (now deceased), date unknown,of the 254th Army Ground Forces band that played in Mineral Wells, TX in the late 40s with dots around the face of the gentleman that she had left Poplar Bluff Missouri with. She was never heard from again. It is unknown if there was a missing person report by her family or husband.

At one point, the 254th Army Ground Forces band was comprised of the members of the 140th Infantry Band of Cape Girardeau and Chaffee, MO. (See link below - Google has a copy of SE Missouri newspaper from 1945 writing about the band.)

These locations were about 90 minutes from Evelyn's home base in Harviell. Meanwhile, Fort Wolters, in Mineral Wells, TX was about 9 hours away. So I'm guessing she went there to see someone she already knew from MO, and either got involved with that person, or someone she met through that person.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...Q4pAAAAIBAJ&sjid=hdYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3943,1181844

Did she run off? Did she meet with foul play? Her family has a FB page and they want to know:

https://www.facebook.com/EvelynLeonaMaceWarbington

Camp Wolters was deactivated in January of 1946. So this picture had to be taken before then. I had assumed that maybe she had gone to the base, and sent the photo while she was at the base, but that doesn't seem possible. She either never went to the base, or went there before her divorce in 1947.

3338DFMO.jpg

From Doe Network:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/3338dfmo.html

Physical Description

She was married in 1943 in Harviell, MO, divorced in 1947 in Poplar Bluff MO on grounds of desertion. Sent a photo to her sister (now deceased), date unknown,of the 254th Army Ground Forces band that played in Mineral Wells, TX in the late 40s with dots around the face of the gentleman that she had left Poplar Bluff Missouri with. She was never heard from again. It is unknown if there was a missing person report by her family or husband.

What a beautiful lady! I don't see the dots around the face. Which one is he?

I couldn't see the dots at first either, only the arrow.

I wonder if there are any records of the names of the men who played in this band. It would be a genealogist dream to go chasing all those men and what happened to them. Maybe one of them had a wife named Evelyn Leona Mace-Warbington.

I couldn't see the dots at first either, only the arrow.

I wonder if there are any records of the names of the men who played in this band. It would be a genealogist dream to go chasing all those men and what happened to them. Maybe one of them had a wife named Evelyn Leona Mace-Warbington.

I am a bit of an genealogist and I have so far not been able to find any trace of Evelyn after she left.

I did find another interesting query on a genealogy site about a man who was stationed at Fort Wolters who was married in 1943 and had 2 kids before apparently disappearing in 1947 - which could fit really well with Evelyn going off with someone. So far though I haven't been able to locate him either.

I did find a record of the members of that band in 1917. I'm still trying to sort out the history of it. Originally, before WWI I think they were a national guard attachment and then were nationalized during WWI. I'm not sure what they did during most of WWII, if they were mostly at Wolters (which housed German POW's) or if they went around to other bases or overseas. Lots of unanswered questions.

Evelyn contacted her sister once to let her know about her new guy - why would she then never contact her again?

http://www.history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/lineages/branches/bands/band-018ar.htm

So it looks like, considering when Camp Wolters closed, it's even possible that the man she left with was no longer in the band by the time that she left with him. Also, in the photo I can't tell what instrument it is that he plays! It's frustrating not to know the date of the photo. Is it certain that the photo is even taken in Texas?

http://www.history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/lineages/branches/bands/band-018ar.htm

So it looks like, considering when Camp Wolters closed, it's even possible that the man she left with was no longer in the band by the time that she left with him. Also, in the photo I can't tell what instrument it is that he plays! It's frustrating not to know the date of the photo. Is it certain that the photo is even taken in Texas?

Based on my own time in the high school band, I would guess he plays the drums. All the other band members are sitting and usually the drummers are the only ones to stand.

Based on my own time in the high school band, I would guess he plays the drums. All the other band members are sitting and usually the drummers are the only ones to stand.

From what I read on ancestry she went missing in 1946 (no date).

Her husband was Joel Seibert (Sebert) Warbington who served in the Navy. He was deployed on the USS Riley in 1944 and USS Xenia 1945-1946.

They were married on September 8, 1943 (4 days after Evelyn's 16th birthday) and divorced October 13, 1947. He remarried may of 1948.

SHE HAS BEEN FOUND! I am the niece of Evelyn Leona Warbington.
Fortunately through Ancestry DNA I had a very close match that turned out to be her great grandson. Sadly she passed away in 1968, but at last our families can rest and get to know each other!
Thanks to all of you who have helped in this situation.

Fortunately through Ancestry DNA I had a very close match that turned out to be her great grandson. Sadly she passed away in 1968, but at last our families can rest and get to know each other!

I'm very happy to hear that Evelyn has been found. Hope her family can be at peace now.

3338DFMO.jpg

From Doe Network:

The Doe Network: Evelyn Leona Mace-Warbingto - 3338DFMO

Physical Description

She was my grandma daisy Faye mace sister

I'm daisy Faye mace Goodman granddaughter

<modsnip - personal info removed from the thread>
What happened to her after she disappeared? Did she live a happy life? Marry again? Have children?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back