GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #3

Jury hears graphic testimony in Craig Wood trial Wednesday

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Day 3 of the Craig Wood trial focused on graphic testimony that led to a warning from the judge for visitors in the court.

The state called its first witness, an investigator from the Greene County medical examiner's office. Tom Vandeburg testified about responding to the crime scene at Craig Wood's house. He described how Hailey Owens' body was found in black garbage bags in a plastic tote in the basement. He was the one to remove her body and find a gunshot wound. Vandeburg also testified there was a small amount of liquid in the tub with a strong smell of bleach.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Testimony-gets-graphic-in-Craig-Wood-trial-Wednesday-454489273.html

Jury hears graphic testimony in Craig Wood trial Wednesday

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Day 3 of the Craig Wood trial focused on graphic testimony that led to a warning from the judge for visitors in the court.

The state called its first witness, an investigator from the Greene County medical examiner's office. Tom Vandeburg testified about responding to the crime scene at Craig Wood's house. He described how Hailey Owens' body was found in black garbage bags in a plastic tote in the basement. He was the one to remove her body and find a gunshot wound. Vandeburg also testified there was a small amount of liquid in the tub with a strong smell of bleach.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Testimony-gets-graphic-in-Craig-Wood-trial-Wednesday-454489273.html

Thanks so much for your coverage Jewels53 it is much appreciated.

State and Defense Both Rest Cases in Craig Wood Trial

SPRINGFIELD, Mo.--The prosecution finished making arguments against Craig Wood for the murder of 10-year-old Hailey Owens in 2014. Shortly after, the defense also rested their case after Wood denied to testify.

Closing statements will begin tomorrow at 9 a.m., the jury will begin deliberation will follow.

Wednesday, day three of the murder trial of Craig Wood was certainly the most difficult to handle for many in the courtroom, including the jury.

The racing right leg of Defendant Craig Wood, the box of tissues on the witness stand, and an early message from Judge Thomas Mountjoy

"There can not be any emotional outbursts or crying, that could distract this jury from doing their job," said Mountjoy.

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/state-rests-case-against-craig-wood/849245713

Sometimes clearing out your cookies will help. I have that same problem with some news sites.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access.

Guess I wore out my welcome

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access.

Guess I wore out my welcome

Try this, I can sometimes backdoor them through a tweet!

[video=twitter;925828653103173632]https://twitter.com/GregHolmanNL/status/925828653103173632[/video]

10:35 State makes final argument.
10:20 Defense begins closing arguments. Defense says there is no excuse for this awful crime, and Craig Wood is going to be held responsible, acknowledges the pain and suffering of Hailey Owens' family. Defense tells jury the only issue is- Is this really a case of a deliberate murder or an impulsive act? Defense argues if Wood wanted to be quiet, a gun wouldn't be the best choice of weapon. He points out no on in Wood's stories is killed. Defense says Wood's window is down when he kidnaps Hailey and knows he was seen. Defense says in years of working in a school, there have never been concerns about Wood having an interest in young girls. They claim Wood's meth use causes long suppressed demons to be unleashed. Defense attorney tells jurors he appreciates their sacrifice this week and tells them to take their time, and they trust and accept their decision.
10:00 Closing arguments begin. Green County prosecutor Dan Patterson argues Craig Wood purposely killed Hailey Owens, that he believed he had to get rid of her because he sexually abused her. State lays out timeline of events. State argue Wood deliberately washed murder scene and Hailey to get rid of evidence, unloads and hides weapon. State says Wood may not have worn a disguise, but changed clothes at least twice after school, walked calmly through Walmart, avoiding contact with people by using self-checkout. State says Wood chose a secluded location to dispose of Hailey's clothes, first scoping out the dumpster, then coming back to dispose of clothes. Claims Wood likely planned to use duct tape to seal storage tub containing Hailey's body. Says Wood threw Hailey's phone far into a yard 9 houses down. State says Wood previously wrote about sexual abuse that Hailey's injuries show evidence of, including ligature injuries to wrists. State says Wood deliberately chose the basement as a murder scene, where he had a hose, could hide the body, and purposely chose the gun and his method of execution. Patterson says Wood packaged Hailey's body for disposal and treated her like trash.

9:50 Judge reads instructions to the jury. They must choose between first degree murder, second degree murder and first degree involuntary manslaughter. Jurors must agree the state proved every element of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt.

9:15 short recess as jury instructions are prepared. The courtroom is packed today. Family members of both Craig Wood and Hailey Owens are present, including Hailey's mother and Wood's parents.
8:50 Court is in session. Defense argues for a motion against a voluntary intoxication statute in jury instructions, saying state should waive death penalty if statute is used. State cites other capital cases where the statute is used. Defense wants the state to choose between submitting the Voluntary Intoxication Instruction or Proceeding as a Death Case. Motion is denied. Judge goes over other jury instructions.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/454691423.html

WATCH VERDICT: Jury convicts Craig Wood of first-degree murder in death of Hailey Owens

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- A jury returned with a verdict of guilty in the first degree against Craig Wood in the death of Hailey Owens.
The jury will now decide sentencing in the case. It took the jury just an hour to deliberate Wood's fate.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Jury-deliberates-the-fate-of-Craig-Wood-454698683.html

jggordo thank you so much for posting this update. I had to sit an exam today but checked in as soon as I could. I’m not surprised by the guilty verdict. I thank the jury for their service it must have been hellish to sit through the evidence. Hopefully he will get death or life in jail either is fine with me.

:loveyou: woo hoo!!! The jury came through for Hailey and her loved ones. Justice is served.

1:25 Because case is ahead of schedule, and the availability of witnesses, the court has decided to not continue with any further evidence today. Penalty phase will begin at 9:30 AM on Friday.
1:00 Craig Wood and his attorneys have returned to the courtroom. As during the rest of the trial, Wood's face shows little emotion. Prosecution returns, and attorneys leave the courtroom for a conference with Judge Tom Mountjoy.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/LIVE-BLOG-Craig-Wood-Sentencing-Phase-454736993.html

What does First Degree murder carry?

What does First Degree murder carry?

Life without Parole or the Death Penalty. I will be surprised if he is not sentenced to the Death Penalty. This Prosecutor is bent on the DP in this case. Overtures were made for a plea deal, even with Hailey's Mother condoning it but the Prosecution would have no part of it. And in this case I agree.

The Jury is gone for the day but I believe this afternoon will all be motions by both sides for Jury instructions. There were many motions from the Defense even before the trial that the Judge would not rule on prematurely, but now will.

JMO

3:15 Court adjourns for the day after attorneys argue over motions on how to proceed with sentencing. Defense asked to throw out an aggravating factor involving depravity of mind and torture; says it's vague and violates Wood's constitutional rights. Judge denies motion.
Defense asked to limit victim impact statements, doesn't want events like the candlelight vigil held for Hailey to influence the jurors. Judge to rule on this Friday morning.
State asked to limit the testimony of a Catholic priest who will speak on Wood's behalf. Prosecutor doesn't want priest to speak about the church's position on the death penalty as it may influence the jury. Judge agrees and will only allow the priest to testify as it pertains to Wood.

Three instructions for the jury were discussed.
2:45 Court resumes. Craig Wood not present. His attorney says he chose to go back to the jail to rest.
1:35 Court recessing and coming back around 2:30 to take up motions in the case. Jury is done for today.

Life without Parole or the Death Penalty. I will be surprised if he is not sentenced to the Death Penalty. This Prosecutor is bent on the DP in this case. Overtures were made for a plea deal, even with Hailey's Mother condoning it but the Prosecution would have no part of it. And in this case I agree.

The Jury is gone for the day but I believe this afternoon will all be motions by both sides for Jury instructions. There were many motions from the Defense even before the trial that the Judge would not rule on prematurely, but now will.

JMO

I think he will get death but I’m not crazy about the years of appeals it can put on a victims family.

Thanks jggordo for the updates! I am not surprised by the Guilty in the 1st degree. I guess the prosecution didn't need to put on a longer regular trial.

Now lets see what the Guilt phase brings us! I don't buy CW being on meth, simply because the officer's in the regular trial didn't observe anything unusual about him. I would think they could have told if CW was under the influence. imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back