GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #3

12:14 Jury in deliberations.

12:07 State addresses the jury again. Dan Patterson tells them that Wood doesn't deserve mercy.
11:38 Defense begins closing arguments. Attorneys tell the jury that his parents are getting older and Wood will not be able to care for them. They say that by being alive in prison, Wood will suffer knowing this. They are asking for mercy for Wood, that his 49 years shouldn't be judge by the worst 50 minutes of his life.
11:20 Closing arguments begin. State says the aggravating circumstances far outweigh any mitigating circumstances and the jury should hold Wood accountable with the death penalty. Dan Patterson reminds jury how the murder has affected Hailey Owens' family, friends, classmates and teachers, how it changed the way people think of Springfield. Prosecution says Wood grew up in a supportive home, and says his parents have bailed Wood out of his lazy, self-centered life his whole life. Patterson plays Wood's interview with a detective, saying, "I don't have her." Defense makes objection, and judge and attorneys step out. Prosecution continues, Patterson saying he doesn't have the words to describe the terror that Hailey experienced.
11:10 Jury comes back to the courtroom to hear jury instructions and closing arguments.
10:35 Court taking another recess while making copies of jury instructions.
10:15 Court is back on the record finalizing jury instructions with attorneys.
10:00 The court goes off the record to discuss jury instructions. Closing arguments will happen once instructions are finalized.
9:50 Judge denies motions about death penalty's constitutionality.
9:20 Defense makes motion for life without parole because they claim the death penalty is cruel and unusual punishment and violates the 8th amendment. Motion denied. Defense makes motion for Instruction on Nonstatutory Mitigating Factors; defense brings up defendant's struggle with alcoholism and chronic depression. Judge denies. Defense Motion for Jury Instruction in Accordance with Section 565.032 also denied. Motion to Modify MAI-CR3d 31.444, 314.48, and 314.58 to Correctly Instruct the Jury on the Burden of Proof or, alternatively, to Impose a Sentence of Life without Parole based on the Unconstitutionality of Missouri's Death Penalty Procedures. Motion denied. Defense renews a motion claiming the death penalty violates the Constitution.

BBM: what about her 50 minutes and what he put HER through.
Thanks for the updates, I don't know how you can stay in there.

I don't think jggordo is at the trial, correct jggordo?

I totally agree with you 4SAM, what about what Hailey experienced during that time while CW had her. The fear in her little heart had to be horribly terrifying. Not knowing what each second was going to happen to her. Let CW suffer!

I am not always sure about punishing with the Death Penalty, but this time I think it is called for. I hope these juror's are not struggling with that decision! jmo

Jury says it could not reach decision in sentencing of Craig Wood for death of Hailey Owens

jury Monday afternoon said they could not reach a unanimous decision in the sentencing of Craig Wood in the death of Hailey Owens.

Judge Thomas Mountjoy called a recess. He will explain what the next step is in the sentencing soon.

It took the jury a little more than four hours to reach a verdict in the sentencing phase. It took the jury just an hour to convict Wood of first-degree murder Thursday.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Jur...-Wood-in-death-of-Hailey-Owens-455610953.html

What the defense is not explaining to the jury is that he had the compulsions to do it! What he did to little Hailey was something that he wants to do to any young girl in his sights. You just can't erase the evil in his mind. I hope that they give justice to Hailey.

It took the jury a little more than four hours to reach the no decision verdict in the sentencing phase. It took the jury just an hour to convict Wood of first-degree murder Thursday.
It is still unclear if Craig Wood will live or die. So what's next? Judge Thomas Mountjoy demanded the defense file a motion for a new sentencing trial by December 1. A hearing on that motion will be held January 11. If the judge overrules that motion, it will go directly to sentencing.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Jur...-Wood-in-death-of-Hailey-Owens-455610953.html

I don't think jggordo is at the trial, correct jggordo?

This case is local for me but I am not AT the trial. I am disappointed the Jury did not deliberate any longer than they did.

It makes no difference to me whether he get LWOP or DP. It takes so long for an actual execution to take place that to me it's almost the same. I do however want him out of County jail and into a general population instead of being coddled the way he has been. I say put him in gen pop and let them treat him accordingly. Let him look over his shoulder every day of his miserable life. In a prison facility far away from family so no visits to whine.

JMO

This case is local for me but I am not AT the trial. I am disappointed the Jury did not deliberate any longer than they did.

It makes no difference to me whether he get LWOP or DP. It takes so long for an actual execution to take place that to me it's almost the same. I do however want him out of County jail and into a general population instead of being coddled the way he has been. I say put him in gen pop and let them treat him accordingly. Let him look over his shoulder every day of his miserable life. In a prison facility far away from family so no visits to whine.

JMO

Thank you so much jggordo for your excellent coverage.

I get the sense that the jury was deadlocked and no amount of deliberating could bring a majority verdict. It can be very difficult for a juror to make a life or death decision against a defendant when it comes to it no matter what they have done. I’m not suggesting in any way that CW does not deserve death. It is just a relief knowing that whatever the outcome of the sentencing he can never hurt another child in the worst way imaginable.

The good news is that the judge gets to make the decision and I sense that he will will pick DP. This case is local for me as well jggordo and the comments I have heard from friends say that DP is the way most are looking at here. Everything the defense said about him spending the last years of his parents life, and how he is remorseful to the preacher, and how he was on drugs at the time...blah blah blah. I just want to scream that you decided that Hailey could not live her life and you decided to end it for her in such a horrible manner. Eye for an eye is how I see it. If he gets life, i hope that the inmates give him a "warm" welcome.

MOO

"I somewhat have closure, got to move on." Mother of Hailey Owens reacts to the outcome of Craig Wood's murder trial

GREENE COUNTY, Mo. The jury that convicted Craig Wood of first degree murder, after he kidnapped, raped, and killed 10 year-old Hailey Owens could not agree on whether he should be put to death or live the rest of his life in prison.

Now his fate will be up to a Greene County judge.

The jury deliberated for about four hours today.

They agreed on all of the aggravating factors, the reasons why the state wanted him to be put to death. They also agreed that none of the mitigating factors, the reasons why his life should be spared, outweighed them. They just couldn't agree on if he should live or die.

Greene County Judge Thomas Mountjoy read the jury's decision to the court.

"We the jury, having found the defendant, Craig Wood guilty of murder in the first degree of Hailey Owens are unable to decide or agree on the punishment," he said.

http://www.kspr.com/content/news/I-...me-of-Craig-Woods-murder-trial-455738453.html

I wonder what the split was, not that it matters. I wish jury's had the guts to make unanimous decisions these days. It seems more and more we are getting mistrials. jmo imo

The good news is that the judge gets to make the decision and I sense that he will will pick DP. This case is local for me as well jggordo and the comments I have heard from friends say that DP is the way most are looking at here. Everything the defense said about him spending the last years of his parents life, and how he is remorseful to the preacher, and how he was on drugs at the time...blah blah blah. I just want to scream that you decided that Hailey could not live her life and you decided to end it for her in such a horrible manner. Eye for an eye is how I see it. If he gets life, i hope that the inmates give him a "warm" welcome.

MOO

He may be sorry he caused his parents pain, but he has no remorse about tormenting and murdering Hailey. None at all. Some of the news coverage of his comments, the recording of him talking to his friend about refusing the mental evaluation, etc. He was laughing and making sexist jokes about how he was fouling up the prosecutor's case. He felt proud of that. He's not remorseful at all and if he ever gets out, he will do it again.

I don't usually favor the DP, either, but I'm concerned there's a chance his lawyers will appeal and eventually get him out of prison.

To the locals, my apologies for being so skeptical of your local system of jurisprudence. Springfield is a great town full of very kind and friendly people.

Jury Reached Final Verdict
Jury returns to open court at 4:24pm with the following verdict: "We, the jury, having found the defendant Craig Wood guilty of murder in the first degree of Hailey Owens, are unable to decide or agree upon the punishment. We answer the following questions: 1. Does the jury unanimously find beyond a reasonable doubt statutory aggravating circumstance (or circumstances)? Yes. 2. Does the jury unanimously find that there are facts and circumstances in mitigation of punishment sufficient to outweigh facts and circumstances in aggravation of punishment? No." If the answer to Question 1 is yes, list below the statutory aggravating circumstance (or circumstances) that you have found beyond a reasonable doubt: "1) The murder of Hailey Owens involved torture and Depravity..... (1) that the defendant killed Hailey Owens after she was bound or otherwise rendered helpless by defendant and that defendant thereby exhibited a callous disregard for the sanctity of all human life, (2) that the defendant's selection of the person he killed was random and without regard to the victim's identity and that defendant's killing of Hailey Owens thereby exhibited a callous disregard for the sanctity of human life. 2) Whether the murder of Hailey Owens was committed for the purpose of avoiding arrest, 3) Whether the murder of Hailey Owens was committed while the defendant was engaged in rape. (4) Whether the murder of Hailey Owens was committed while the defendant was engaged in sodomy. 5) Whether the murder of Hailey Owens was committed while the defendant was engaged in kidnapping. 6) Whether Hailey Owens was a witness or potential witness of a pending investigation of the kidnapping of Hailey Owens," signed by the foreperson. Verdict accepted and filed. Court grants Defendant until December 1, 2017, for filing of Motion for New Trial. Hearing on Motion for New Trial set for January 11, 2018, at 2:30pm. If the Motion for New Trial is denied, the Court will proceed to sentencing on that date and time. Defendant requests to waive right to Sentencing Assessment Report (SAR) and same is granted. Parties granted leave to withdraw and maintain exhibits. Defendant remanded back to the custody of GCJ. Notice of Entry to GCJ. TEM/mmd

This is the docket entry from casenet.mo from Court. The way I read this is IF the Judge overrules the Defendant's request for a new sentencing trial, THEN it will go directly to sentencing at that time. Which I understand to be January 11, 2018. So I suppose we have to wait until then to find out.

BBM

JMO

https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/cases/searchDockets.do

:gthanks: jggordo for posting what's going on in this trial! Very much appreciated!!

"I somewhat have closure, got to push on," she said.
Her attorney, David Ransin, said, "It's important that this has all been done in the honor and the memory of her daughter Hailey."
Ransin has guided her through all of this.
"All of this has been very difficult for three and a half years. She's looking forward to the end so that she can get on with her own life," he said.
Ransin will continue to prepare her for what's to come.

From the link above.

I have a problem with a Personal Injury attorney who filed a civil lawsuit on behalf of Hailey's family less than a month for wrongful death after her murder guiding them to settle that lawsuit out of Court just months before the criminal trial. Not to mention the about face change to endorse the defendant and their family for a LWOP penalty in lieu of DP. To me it smells of a "bought" recommendation, if nothing else in appearance. And could it have affected the outcome? The District Attorney's office has a victim assistance office to "guide" the family through the process.

The civil case "settled" around April 20, 2017 and the formal request to the Court for a plea deal was on June 28, 2017 where Hailey's Mom testified in favor of the deal. Of course we now know the District Attorney would not have any part of it. And even when the Defense asked during the sentencing phase for Hailey's Mom to testify, the Judge overruled the request.

https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/cases/searchDockets.do
JMO

I can't hardly handle these kinds of cases when there's just horrific torture and cruelty to kids or animals, I peek in now and then on some, but, rarely stay long, but, YES, Thank you! She didn't even get to live to see 49 years of life! Bless her little heart. And if they'd hit him with the DP, his death would have been HUMANE!!!

Jury foreman describes how jurors deadlocked over death penalty for Craig Wood

snipped
“A significant amount of time was then spent on discussing — 'moral compass,' I think is the phrase that comes to mind,” Meyerhofer said. “What was your personal, moral compass telling you to do?”

After more than four hours of deliberation, Meyerhofer said it was apparent the jury was deadlocked.

Ten were in favor of death, Meyerhofer said, and two were for life in prison.

The mood, he said, was mixed.

"Clearly there were those that felt like justice had not been done for Hailey Owens," he said, but others put a lot of weight in the mitigating factors.

Wood's attorneys said the mitigating factors were a family history of depression, a loving relationship with his parents and that Wood could have a positive impact on his friends' lives — even from behind bars.

Meyerhofer said he voted for death.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...eliberation-craig-woods-punishment/840989001/

You may need to clear your cookies to be able to read since this is a payed site after so many visits. imo

What does hung jury mean for Craig Wood’s fate? It’s complicated

When Judge Thomas Mountjoy announced Monday afternoon the jury was deadlocked in the Craig Wood sentencing, there was a collective confusion in the courtroom.

As the jury was excused and the attorneys ducked into a side room, many were left wondering what happens next.

The answer is both rare and controversial.

Since the jury could not decide unanimously whether Wood should get the death penalty or life in prison for abducting and murdering Springfield 10-year-old Hailey Owens in 2014, Judge Mountjoy will choose on Jan. 11.

Missouri and Indiana are the only states where a judge can give a death sentence when the jury deadlocks, and there's debate about whether those death sentences are constitutional.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...n-craig-woods-fate-its-complicated/840847001/

> Missouri and Indiana are the only states where a judge can give a death sentence when the jury deadlocks, and there's debate about whether those death sentences are constitutional.

This is super important. All states should adopt these resolutions, to head off the endless, time-wasting, money-sucking appeals that pro-murder lawyers engage in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back