Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian
Hair Color Gray or Partially Gray
Eye Color Blue
Date of Last Contact June 30, 1994
NamUs Case Created June 6, 2011
Last Known Location Map
Location Moberly, Missouri
County Randolph County

Circumstances of Disappearance Hess was reportedly last seen by her two daughters during the late evening hours of June 30, 1994. Hazel was home, in her apartment in Moberly, MO., at the time. When family members returned to the home, Hazel was gone. She left behind all of her personal belongings, including her car keys and purse. Foul play is suspected, as Hazel's bed sheet and comforter were missing. Blood was found at the scene.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

JUN 30, 2019
Moberly mom searches for answers after mom disappeared 25 years ago
A Moberly woman is pleading for answers and more leads after her mom went missing 25 years ago.

"I just need to know where my mother is," AHS told ABC 17 News.

[...]

AHS said she and her mom worked opposite shifts at a local restaurant in Moberly, that way someone was always around to take care of AHS's two kids.

[...]

Before the mom and daughter parted ways on June 30, 1994, Hazel and Angela made plans to meet up for breakfast the next morning.

The next morning, on July 1, 1994, Angela arrived at her mom's house to go to breakfast.

[...]

But, she couldn't find her mom.

"I believe the screen door was closed, but the actual big door was open, it was ajar part of the way, which struck me as strange," Angela said. "Where could she be, how did I miss her, what happened? Of course, I never believed that I would never see her again, for 25 years."

The home Hazel lived in was separated into several apartments

[...]

“It was the bottom floor apartment, and there was a door right off the driveway there," Commander Tracey Whearty told ABC 17 News in front of the home on West Reed Street.

Where Hazel's door to her apartment was, there is now a window.

The Moberly Police Department got to the scene, her bedding was missing, and they found blood, which the department said indicated foul play was involved.

[...]

“I’ve walked this alley, I’ve walked this street, looking for something.. I pray every day there's another where else could I look…. What else could there be?” AHS said.

[...]

The Moberly Police Department last investigated a lead in 2018, but it didn't go anywhere.

The department is asking anyone with information on Hess' disappearance to call the department at 660-263-0346.

Hazel Rose Hess
hazel_rose_hess_1.jpg
hazel_rose_hess_2.jpg

Hess, circa 1994
  • Missing Since 06/30/1994
  • Missing From Moberly, Missouri
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 04/27/1938 (81)
  • Age 56 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3, 140 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A blue denim jacket, blue jeans, light blue sneakers and a fanny pack.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Gray hair, blue eyes. Hess wears upper and lower dentures.
Details of Disappearance
Hess was last seen by two of her children at her apartment in the 800 block of west Reed Road in Moberly, Missouri at 10:30 p.m. on June 30, 1994. Her daughter went to her home at 7:30 a.m. the next day to have breakfast with her, and discovered she was gone and the front door was ajar.

Hess's bedsheet and comforter were missing, but all her other personal belongings were left behind, including her purse, car and car keys. Blood was found at the scene.

Hess's upstairs neighbor at the time of her disappearance was Larry Adams. Hess was reportedly concerned about Adams and believed he was using drugs and engaging in other illegal activities. She never reported her suspicions to law enforcement, however.

Police questioned Adams about Hess's case, but they haven't said whether he's considered a suspect. In 1996, Hayes shot and wounded a police officer; he is still in prison.

Hess left behind six adult children. She worked several jobs at the time of her disappearance, including waitressing at the Tracks End restaurant and baby-sitting. Foul play is suspected in her disappearance; it remains unsolved.

Hazel Rose Hess – The Charley Project

MAY 29, 2012
Family Feuds with Police Over Missing Mom
Angela Suthpin and Victoria Hess were the last two people to see their mother, Hazel Hess. She disappeared 18 years ago at the age of 56.

[...]

"We can't afford that private investigation so local law enforcement, public law enforcement, has been our only option," said Angela Sutphin, Hazel Hess' daughter. "And we've cooperated repeatedly for many, many, years with no results. They can't tell us any more than they did 18 years ago."

[...]

Angela says this case has torn her family apart.

"The police focused so much on my little sister and I that my older siblings have the idea that my sister and I have something to do with my mom's disappearance, and I haven't talked to them at all for many years. I don't even know where they live anymore."

Victoria says she pushed the police for answers for years to no avail.

"I called them for an entire year straight after my son was born. Every month for an entire year. And it was like two years of pushing them before they finally sent it off to a cold case. And now they are still coming back and investigating my sister and I," Victoria said.

[...]

Moberly Police Chief Russell Tarr has been working this case since before he was chief. He says the police have sent out the case files to other agencies, but could not disclose which ones specifically. He claims the police are using all of their available resources on this case and he wouldn't comment on whether he considers the victim's daughters as suspects.

[...]

JUL 2, 2018
Moberly Police look for answers in woman's disappearance from 1994
Moberly police are making a new push for answers in a mysterious Moberly disappearance dating back 24 years. This month marks the anniversary of the disappearance of Hazel Rose Hess.

[...]

Moberly Police Chief Troy Link said investigators found an odd scene at Hess' apartment.

[...]

Officers found Hess' wallet and car keys at the scene, but noticed blood and her bed sheets were missing. Link said the blood was not enough to think there could have been a struggle, and it could have just been a common household accident.

In the months following the initial disappearance, Moberly Police conducted hundreds of interviews and followed multiple leads.

[...]

Through the years the Moberly Police department has investigated Hess' disappearance with help from the Randolph County Sheriff's Office, Missouri Highway Patrol and even the FBI.

“This case has been actively involved and investigated on for 24 years, from day one until now," said Link.

[...]

“What we can do now was not what we could do in 1994, as far as DNA and some of the other things in the forensic world, so it’s always good to have somebody go back and look at the old stuff," Link said.

Link says the case will continue to be investigated and if you have any information call the Moberly Police Department at (660) 263-0346.

Missouri State Highway Patrol - Hazel's MP flyer

Attachments

• Hazel Rose Hess.pdf
    80.4 KB · Views: 4
Sorry to be so long to get back, there's quite a few sights listing her case, might check them out and find out if there are recent updates on her case
I recall she had a neighbor above her, made her feel ill at ease. Don't think I saw that he was a POI. Missouri Missing should have info as well. I will see if I can turn up anything for you. JMO

Former Perinton town employee charged in cold case murder. Police suspect he may have killed others.

From his early 20s through his early 40s, a period that spanned 1976 to 1994, Lawrence Gene Timmons was linked to no less than five separate violent crimes in Missouri, despite spending seven of those years in prison or on parole.

He was charged in the kidnapping and assault of a young boy, the home invasion robbery of a female college student, and the gunpoint rape of a woman, and was questioned but never arrested in the homicides of his first wife and Smith.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back